Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Old wounds were reopened tonight. Let's acknowledge it - we all hate losing to Gold Coast up north.

Old wounds hurt... but the reality is, we still matched it with Geelong 2 weeks ago and they've since obliterated Melbourne. We have 5-6 guns close to returning.

We're closer than it feels right now.

Teams like Geelong spent a decade losing in September in part due to their premiership-induced hubris. We're far more arrogant now than we were in 2019 IMO.

Maybe this loss will end our season.

But maybe it will humble us. Maybe it will remind us that we damn sure have a unique group that stand a fair chance of figuring something out come September when the stakes are highest.

I still see a path forward with what we have.

Survive tonight's wounds and we'll be in a good position for the run home.
Losing to them last year down south didn't thrill me all that much!

But I hear the rest of what you say. People forget how undermanned we were.

Reactions: 1 users
We aren’t brave at selection. Bringing Aarts back in over giving Clarke another week or playing Sonsie. Soft.

Gifting games to Castagna instead of trying anyone else, I’d rather see @Dyer'ere idea of RCD playing as a forward then put up with more George. Sonsie should have played instead of Aarts but we went safe.
If we'd played RCD and Sonsie, on top of all the inexperience in the side, we would have got flogged.

Reactions: 4 users
Ultimately that loss, together with all the other capitulations this season is an indictment & an embarrassment to Hardwick & the coaching staff.

Highlights the ongoing lack of regard for clearance (especially centre clearance) - root cause for all these losses. Not been addressed via recruitment or in structure set-up.

Highlights an inability to coach against teams that get a run on - no alternate clearance set up (including preparedness to try different things in game such as Pickett or Balta as a ruck rover into the middle) or failure to play one on one when needed (think Swans game when Mills turned the game as the plus one from the back half).

Ongoing selection of players that continually fail us (Castagna) or aren’t at this level (Aarts) or have prematurely aged & fallen away (Edwards). What’s the definition of madness?

Inability to coach resolve, on field leadership & organisation to the team when challenged in games. We’ve capitulated in 6 of the 7 losses. It’s really only been the Melbourne game where we looked no chance to win.

Lack of player development - outside of Baker & Dan Rioli, who’s improved? Who at VFL level of the young players has improved to push for selection? Gibcus came ready made & Clarke got given games (even though he’s physically not ready), but have RCD, Dow, Martyn, Mansell etc improved? Not what I’ve seen in the VFL.

And what have they tried to do with Stack? We’re just wasting a talent by not trying to make him fit at AFL level. Playing Ross on a wing in the early part of the season when he’s an inside mid and nothing else.

The criticism can extend to strength & conditioning (way too many soft tissue injuries) & recruitment (no key forwards developing at VFL level with over reliance on Lynch & 33-year-old Jack, poor choice of young midfielders & recruitment of too many flankers only to lose the best one from the VFL program to Essendon).

Time for a club football review & reset to work out what’s next. The real shame is that this year could have been the Last Dance but for all of the above, it’s gone up in smoke. Our best was still good enough but our worst is diabolical.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Hardwick is a class coach. He was been destroyed by the recruiting team and list management team
Where are the midfielders??
Where's the ball winning midfielders??

• Dislike
. Walking out of Metricon last night I thought about the shambles that happened in the last 5 mins . Why ? Think the umpires should have awarded 6/6/6 free against the Tiges , they showed some leniency twice . Players had no idea where they were playing .No wonder GC kicked 3 goals in 2 mins . Seriously if Dimma is going to play Castagna again . He may as well resign . Total embarrassment last night Dimma. This isn’t Auskick

Reactions: 3 users
Hardwick is a class coach. He was been destroyed by the recruiting team and list management team
Class Coach with incompetent people under him . Actually Dimma’s coaching last night was terrible . Watch the reply . A blind person will see why . Don’t blame the players , blame the coaching . 40 points up and get beat , it’s not a player thing , it’s a coaching thing

Reactions: 2 users
Class Coach with incompetent people under him . Actually Dimma’s coaching last night was terrible . Watch the reply . A blind person will see why . Don’t blame the players , blame the coaching . 40 points up and get beat , it’s not a player thing , it’s a coaching thing
Na it's both you can't blame coaches on the brain fades of Grimes and Short or misses of George and Aarts that's on the players fullstop panic merchant's no composure and some have won 3 flags lol. Dimma responsibility for why we a coughing up leads.

• Dislike
Na it's both you can't blame coaches on the brain fades of Grimes and Short or misses of George and Aarts that's on the players fullstop panic merchant's no composure and some have won 3 flags lol. Dimma responsibility for why we a coughing up leads.
Incorrect. The manager is in control of his staff/ Team . The discipline thing surely is now laughable. Who directs the players to continually kick to the Bounday / pocket in last quarter ? Not the supporters . They are set plays

If we'd played RCD and Sonsie, on top of all the inexperience in the side, we would have got flogged.

At least we'd have a chance at a better draft pick if we did. What do we get now after that awful game?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Agree with this. The balance of the list looks arse about.

We are desperate for ball winning mids and about to face a KPF crisis (which we surely must have seen coming). I get that our draft hand has been limited over last few years but you still need to draft certain types to address list needs

Agree with this. The balance of the list looks arse about.

We are desperate for ball winning mids and about to face a KPF crisis (which we surely must have seen coming). I get that our draft hand has been limited over last few years but you still need to draft certain types to address list needs
How they thought coming into this year we didn't need a ball winning midfielder has me fked.

Yeh, they would not have made the difference. Our senior players didn't step up when the game got dangerous. Jack/Nank/Grimes/Edwards/Prestia needed to steady the ship but didn't. Inexperienced kids would not have made a difference.

He has delivered three premiership and will go down as a legend of the club. It's a tough industry though and everyone is always going to work on your weaknesses.

He hasn't been helped by the soft cap. We have gone from Fly to Steve Morris as VFL coach.

Matt Clarke isn't helping. He has delivered RCD, Dow and an ontraded 2020 pick that could have been Max Holmes for Tom Brown. It's only Brown's first year but watching him live he won't make it and be able to use his skills unless he can put his body on the line.

I hope Balmey and co are reviewing recruiting and devolpment very closely.

By the 3rd quarter, I thought we were showing all the signs of a possible premiership team gearing up for September.

We've looked dangerous and Richmondy against all opposition lately, and we can add Martin, Cotchin, Lynch, Balta, Vlastuin to this team in a light run home. There's a familiar vibe building each week.

Our attack looks better than ever at times, but we're not quite as impenetrable in defence. That last quarter was a timely reminder that defence wins premierships. Tighten up a little and we're moving in a positive direction.

We have all the tools. The attitude is generally good. Just stay the course. What makes this team unique? It's easy to lose sight of certain things after a loss.