Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
*smile* Aarts, Castagna, Miller are not senior players and never will be but Dimwiti keeps picking them that’s on *smile* him. He is a stubborn dumb coach well out of form

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
Play Aarts and Castagna and you can expect such things to happen.
Yep, this is it in a nutshell. I've been stunned how stubborn Dimma is selecting these absolute hacks. He is coaching scared and it shows. That game was also unlosable, with some basic coaching adjustments. A little keepings off from time to time in the last quarter and it was done - how can a professional playing group and coaching panel not see what is obvious to every punter out there. Horrible loss, can't even blame the umpires!.

Reactions: 5 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
We need a good mid readymade trade to fill the gap whilst waiting somewhat hopefully for our kids to make the grade
Definitely - two if possible. Dow, Martyn & RCD are write-offs. Still have hope for Ross & Sonsie untried.

Stack will never have a tank to play midfield unfortunately. He’ll have to make it as a halfback or high half forward.

Reactions: 1 user

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Our problem is the midfield.

We not only need a clearance beast, we also need some defence in the midfield as we get killed when the opposition start to get centre clearance after centre clearance. It is a problem we need to fix, in today's game you cannot let the opposition get cheap clearances so easily. Maybe Pickett in the middle when the going gets tough.

But playing Castagna and Aarts is not going to get us anywhere. they are not the future.

DS

Reactions: 2 users

Dev Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2014
The problem isn't with Dimma it is with the drafting and devolpment of younger players in the premiership period of 2017 onwards. Only Baker and Balta have really made it. There have been some signs from Gibcus.

Just too many misses.

Reactions: 4 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Our problem is the midfield.

We not only need a clearance beast, we also need some defence in the midfield as we get killed when the opposition start to get centre clearance after centre clearance. It is a problem we need to fix, in today's game you cannot let the opposition get cheap clearances so easily. Maybe Pickett in the middle when the going gets tough.

But playing Castagna and Aarts is not going to get us anywhere. they are not the future.

DS
100%. Doesn’t help that Hardwick has been in denial about clearance for the past two seasons.

Love Pickett on a wing & he’s been fantastic this year, but agree to halt a run on (especially those clean opposition centre breaks), why not throw him in the middle.

When Balta comes back, I’d also consider giving him some ruck rover clearance time too to get a big body in there. Geelong did that effectively on Thursday night with Blicavs.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Funny how the same coach that that gets us into these game winning positions is then responsible for us losing them.

Its personnel not coaching that is the problem. We have an aging core that is required to play at an intensity they are not capable of any more. We see it in the fade-outs and the plethora of soft tissue injuries. On top of that, our backline is severely depleted from our premiership winning years and it’s the backline that was always the foundation that everything else was built on.

Hardwick is an excellent coach but he doesn’t have the players anymore to execute his vision. I’ve said it before and will say it again, things are going to get worse before they start getting better.
Respectfully disagree. Yes much of what you say is true but look at what has happened this year. We have lost 7 games. 5 of those games we held 5 goal plus leads and we still lost. How do we not learn from that after one or two losses? Why does it keep happening? Yes no doubt the players hold some responsibility but Dimma gets $1m a year to work this *smile* out. It has cost us so badly this year; the last chance at a flag with this group is gone because of it.

Even in games we won we blew big leads; Collingwood, Hawthorn, West Coast, Port, Carlton, Essendon. It's not good enough. We've been highlighting it since round one; he needs to sort it out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Respectfully disagree. Yes much of what you say is true but look at what has happened this year. We have lost 7 games. 5 of those games we held 5 goal plus leads and we still lost. How do we not learn from that after one of two losses? Why does it keep happening? Yes no doubt the players hold some responsibility but Dimma gets $1m a year to work this *smile* out. It has cost us so badly this year; the last chance at a flag with this group is gone because of it.

Even in games we won we blew big leads; Collingwood, Hawthorn, West Coast, Port, Carlton, Essendon. It's not good enough. We've been highlighting it since round one; he needs to sort it out.
Starting to believe this myself now.

zgod

Tiger Legend
Feb 25, 2008
Yep as good as our Dimma has been we have always been susceptible when holding a lead. Goes right back to the dark days.
We always give teams a sniff.

Reactions: 1 users