Damien Hardwick | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Damien Hardwick

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Yes, all true, no point in the club pressing for an investigation. It's over, done, finished, we'll receive more respect from everyone if we just suck it up and move on. Hundreds of decisions are made throughout a game. The best teams play well enough so that one or two umpiring decisions don't determine a win or loss. On the night Brisbane were just a bit better and their win over Melbourne showed they are a worthy Prelim Finalist. I believe the AFL knows that more money needs to be spent on the ARC system. Eddie Maguire, who has a financial interest in that technology, said on Footy Class. that the technology will be a lot better next year so we can only hope it will be, otherwise let's have 2 goal ump's at each end.
Agree, Tiger Mike
Just wanted to add that McGuire was saying years ago that goal line technology was easy to implement and adjudicate... but years on, even his own company can't get it right. We'll have to wait and see.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
I'm interested as to why we haven't heard anything more from our club.

After making such a public declaration of asking the AFL for more information, it seems strange to me we haven't had an update. I'd be interested in what communication they have had.
Think it would be considered whinging.

Reactions: 4 users

tigermouseau

Tiger Superstar
Apr 19, 2004
There is no vision. Everyone knows it. The as ARC guy was looking at the same vision we were on the TV. He bizarrely made his decision on Lynch's reaction I think.
Very professional. He should’ve rolled the vision forward a bit and looked at Andrew’s reaction.

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
With the number of close games we are experiencing lately, the afl have to be getting these decisions right or at least be seen to be following a fully transparent process. Years ago the races were able to produce a developed print on course after the event so punters could see the evidence. AFL fans are being treated like mugs. It is not whinging to seek full understanding when the afl preach about their passionate fan bases. If the extra evidence exists, publish it straight away. If it doesn’t, what on earth is going on?

Reactions: 2 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Clearly, human judgement is flawed at times. Moreover, the complexity associated with adjudicating a game of AFL football increases the risk that human errors will be made.

So, the great minds at AFL HQ decided to introduce video goal review tech to minimise the risk of this error. It would surely be abhorrent to think that an erroneous decision by a human goal umpire would adversely affect the result of an AFL game, particularly if the game was a final.....!

Problem is this video review tech is not perfect and still requires one of those humans to make a decision. So we have a video review human in a room surrounded by imperfect tech. Hmm..not ideal. Even worse, there seems to be no need for them to follow a clear and consistent process/procedure when conducting a review. Excellent! They can flip flop to their hearts content. The subdued gaze of a FF. The protestations of a FB. The twinkle of a HF flankers' eye. The human reviewer seems to take a whimsical approach when determining which variable is important, and which is not.

And of course we then have the non-distribution of the secret footage in order to protect the interests of our national game.......! Please, the stench is palpable.

Get it right AFL. Less smoke and mirrors. More accountability. The masses are not mugs. Stop treating them as such!

I want my club to go hard on this issue. Not to change the past. But to ensure this does not happen again in the future!

Reactions: 12 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Ohh and one other small point. The notion of journalistic integrity is an oxymoron. If a journalist does not toe the party line they will soon be out of a job!

Reactions: 5 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I suspect there are very, very few people who would think corruption was a possibility and they are unlikely to be assured by anything the AFL says or does.
Agree. Corruption at a decision making level in sport never happens.
Time to move on, it was maybe right maybe wrong but that was last weeks news. Go Lions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
All well and good, but do you think the AFL are going to change anything now, when we're into the third week of the finals this week?

What they can change is quite simple: abide by their own rules.

Is that really too much to ask?

Even before the semi finals I have heard no-one ask for the game result to be reversed, we all know that is outside the bounds of what can happen. What we are asking for is that the AFL fess up to the fact they broke their own rules and actually do something about the woeful adjudication of the game.

DS

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Not that I wanted to lose Kingsley , however imho I thought Dimma had an ever age year in the box , obviously Teague helped with scoring, however some more new blood or Truck I think will help with some fresh thoughts for Dimma

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne

Even before the semi finals I have heard no-one ask for the game result to be reversed, we all know that is outside the bounds of what can happen. What we are asking for is that the AFL fess up to the fact they broke their own rules and actually do something about the woeful adjudication of the game.

DS
The Bookies would have had a win given Tigers were favourites, Gil prob got a kickback.

• Haha

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Time to move on, it was maybe right maybe wrong but that was last weeks news. Go Lions.
Exactly, next people will be saying some politicians are corrupt……oh hang on !!!

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004

DS
I agree with the sentiment DS, but I don't think it's realistic.
The AFL has been manipulating its own competition for a long time. Free agent compensation. Guiding Ablett to GCS, then guiding him back again. Allowing tanking to happen, then selectively punishing people. It buries issues it wants to (boys culture at AFL House, include inappropriate conduct towards women), and promotes how great it is on social issues (yay AFLW).
You have to either accept the AFL is a morally corrupt corporation that happens to show football matches, disconnect, or stay angry. It ain't right. It ain't right by a long shot. But it's fairly realistic.

Reactions: 6 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I agree with the sentiment DS, but I don't think it's realistic.
The AFL has been manipulating its own competition for a long time. Free agent compensation. Guiding Ablett to GCS, then guiding him back again. Allowing tanking to happen, then selectively punishing people. It buries issues it wants to (boys culture at AFL House, include inappropriate conduct towards women), and promotes how great it is on social issues (yay AFLW).
You have to either accept the AFL is a morally corrupt corporation that happens to show football matches, disconnect, or stay angry. It ain't right. It ain't right by a long shot. But it's fairly realistic.

My cynicism knows no bounds so I agree.

Lucky I am an optimist, I continue to live in hope!

DS

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I suspect there are very, very few people who would think corruption was a possibility and they are unlikely to be assured by anything the AFL says or does.
Personal view is that this is a stuff up and the AFL knows it. It may or may not have been a goal but there is no doubt it should not have been overruled based on the agreed process. However they will never come out and say that because the consequences of doing so are too big.

I also do not subscribe to the view that there was corruption or that someone or some group of people in the AFL has a vendetta against RFC that this is somehow related to. Conspiracy theories don't help a case based on process and logic.

This is just a stuff up which the AFL can't own up to.

Reactions: 12 users

Eddie from Elwood

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 23, 2015
Personal view is that this is a stuff up and the AFL knows it. It may or may not have been a goal but there is no doubt it should not have been overruled based on the agreed process. However they will never come out and say that because the consequences of doing so are too big.

I also do not subscribe to the view that there was corruption or that someone or some group of people in the AFL has a vendetta against RFC that this is somehow related to. Conspiracy theories don't help a case based on process and logic.

This is just a stuff up which the AFL can't own up to.
You tell me if this is a stuff up!

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
I’m suggesting gross incompetence due to rubbery protocol rather than organized corruption , though one could suggest it’s one in the same

Reactions: 3 users