David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
He's not done. He's a key defender. Yet we play him in the ruck. Farcical.

Settle the back 6, get a legitimate second ruck in, and watch the wins roll in.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yep, he gets out-run on the lead . . . but then again so does everyone, because a leading player has the jump on the defender playing on him.

There are only 2 ways to stop a leading player taking a mark: have someone come across and intercept, or, stop the delivery from the middle. Stopping the delivery from the middle helps a hell of a lot in creating the opportunity for an intercept mark too.

Astbury has never been real quick, his role is to spoil the contested mark. But if we're getting beaten up in the middle it just isn't possible.

Given the way we lost the contested ball tonight I thought our backline held up well.

DS

Reactions: 6 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Is there a time line for the injury to DTLD?
If its tendinitis / tendinopathy it will be a mangement call week to week.

I suspect he's maybe had it for a little while and it is not settling, hence he's looked slow and hobbled especially the past month or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Love Daaaave. Met him just after he was drafted. So down to earth and humble as a kid. Still is. Tough as nails. What a Richmond Man he’s been for us. And to think, that dhead Leon Harris said he was no good and would struggle with us. 3 x premiership player you dhead.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Has come to the end.
I can't see him getting back to real genuine premiership quality again..
Top player but we need to find replacement

gutfull

Tiger Superstar
Jul 6, 2013
Couple of weeks off will do him good , will need him up & about come finals !

Reactions: 1 users

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
I thought the backline started off very ordinary today.

When baker went back they lifted.

Astbury will be 31 at the start of next season and i believe would be an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Bachar just turned 33. Dave could get looked at for some mentoring elsewhere to a young backline ?

I dont think he has been 100% this year, so hopefully a couple weeks off like gutfull said will do him a world of good.

Regardless, very important to us for our quest for a 4th in 5 years.

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Is DTLD an automatic selection now ? No doubt he still has a big role to play , however I think there’s going to be more games where he dosent have a match up,

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Is DTLD an automatic selection now ? No doubt he still has a big role to play , however I think there’s going to be more games where he dosent have a match up,
Not so sure about a big role still to play.

Astbury is very rarely taking contested marks.
Seems more suited to spoiling and blocking only, and disposing quickly by hand if required.
So yes, a big role against sides that are willing to bomb deep into our backline.

But it seems tactics have changed against us.
We are not longer allowed an out number spare to mop up and assist in defence.
Opposition i50 are spreading our defence and looking for shorter leading targets.
Against these teams ...... not so sure Astbury has a big role to play, or would be a liability that a smaller Mansell type would be better suited to play .

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Not so sure about a big role still to play.

Astbury is very rarely taking contested marks.
Seems more suited to spoiling and blocking only, and disposing quickly by hand if required.
So yes, a big role against sides that are willing to bomb deep into our backline.

But it seems tactics have changed against us.
We are not longer allowed an out number spare to mop up and assist in defence.
Opposition i50 are spreading our defence and looking for shorter leading targets.
Against these teams ...... not so sure Astbury has a big role to play, or would be a liability that a smaller Mansell type would be better suited to play .
Good points TM , definitely an interesting time for DTLD , he obviously ads plenty as the general back there , main reason I still seeing him having a role to play is the fact so many forward lines are going with the 3 headed monster set up

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
PRE'ers have a hair trigger on the obituaries this year for some strange reason?

Bachar, JR, Caddy, DTLD

all in rocking chairs on the veranda,

just 6 months after winning the toughest premiership in history.

Im gonna wait until the end of September before pensioning any premiership heroes off

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
PRE'ers have a hair trigger on the obituaries this year for some strange reason?

Bachar, JR, Caddy, DTLD

all in rocking chairs on the veranda,

just 6 months after winning the toughest premiership in history.

Im gonna wait until the end of September before pensioning any premiership heroes off

Yeah, I have a lot of faith in them and in our fitness guys.

Bachar had another 21 possies against Adelaide.