David Astbury, Thank You | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Astbury, Thank You

The break he had to help his tendonitis in his Achilles.

Tendinopathy / Tendonitis can be a precursor to more severe tendon injury in some circumstances.

Dave was struggling and obviously hocussed by it for most of the season until he had that break.

I agree that we need him to go on for another year, be surprised if he was even thinking about retirement, however imho he is slowing and there’s not much left in the tank , there’s still a role if he’s surrounded by the right players . Biggy is the only key defender in the cupboard and he’s still a way off yet.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree that we need him to go on for another year, be surprised if he was even thinking about retirement, however imho he is slowing and there’s not much left in the tank , there’s still a role if he’s surrounded by the right players . Biggy is the only key defender in the cupboard and he’s still a way off yet.
You forgetting Funky ?

Astbury has just announced his retirement. Last game will be this weekend. One of the great Richmond men.

• Sad
Reactions: 30 users
Daaaaave !! Nooooo ! What a champion player and champion bloke. Dependable, tough and courageous. Always took the big blokes ....one on one. Part of the best backline I've ever seen.

Awesome stuff Dave. Well done and immense thanks. Legend.

Reactions: 27 users
Ultimate ‘structure’ player. Took the hard jobs week in, week out which allowed others to shine in more attacking roles. Won’t get any accolades outside of Richmond but we all know how important he was. Well done Dave!

Reactions: 14 users
Thanks for the memories Dave. I remember your first game & where you kicked 3 goals. Who would have known you would have gone on to be a 3 time premiership defender.

Seems like his was well liked by the whole team & was obviously a team first man.

Reactions: 9 users
Congratulations Dave Astbury on a great career and thank you for what you gave us. Injuries got him in the end. Was an absolute pillar of the defence in the 2017-2021 era - especially in containing monster forwards. Allowed Rance, Grimes etc to also do their thing. Will be a huge loss.

Reckon we now need to consider a Daniel Talia for a couple of years as a stop gap until young, tall and competent defenders can be found and developed.

Reactions: 15 users
Thank you Astbury!

One of the pillars in a strong defense setup that helped this club achieve so much success.

Not surprised to be honest but rapt he was at the Tiges. Crucial cog in our team structure

Wish you all the best for what the future might hold for you

Reactions: 8 users
One of my favourite players. No one messed with Astbury he was a tough player who made those around him walk taller.

Congratulations on such a successful career.

Reactions: 5 users
Sounds like the club wanted him to go on but he made the choice to wind it up.

First of our triple premiership immortals to go.

He should be an extremely proud of himself and his career.

All the best Dave and thank you.

Reactions: 19 users
What a great bloke and a better player. He was the sure and steady that allowed Rance and now Balta to do what they do.

Still think he leaves a massive hole personnel wise. Unless we have a mature aged AFL standard KPD on the radar, we are going to be dubious down back.

Well done Dave!

Reactions: 9 users
Strongest player on our list.
Amazing undertanding with Rancey. Allowed Rancey to do his thing.
Played some wonderful finals games.
Started with nothing but shoulder injuries.
Now a revered champ with 3 flags.
Success story.

Bloody Covid. I would have loved to have been there at his send off game...

Well done Dave!

• Love
Reactions: 16 users
Congratulations on an amazing career Dave. Toughed it out through so many bad injuries and operations, a pillar in defence, even more so when Rance went down.

Will be sorely missed by all

Reactions: 4 users