David Hicks [Split from Saddam thread] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

David Hicks [Split from Saddam thread]

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
Sure it's quoting the Bolta :-X, but -

Azza said:
Having read 'The men who stare at goats' recently, I'm aware of the understatement!

I presume these comments are genuine. If not, I'm happy to stand corrected. To me it's pretty obvious he rejected the west completely in favour of Islam and jihad -

"Jihad is still valid today and will be for all time. The West is full of poison. The western society is controlled by the Jews with music, TV, houses, cars, free sex takes Muslims away from the true Islam keeps Islam week and in the third world."

"I believe that al-Qaeda camps provided a great opportunity for Muslims like myself from all over the world to train for military operations and jihad. I knew after six months that I was receiving training from al-Qaeda, who had declared war on numerous countries and peoples."

http://blogs.news.com.au/heraldsun/andrewbolt/index.php/heraldsun/comments/smith

'And thanks to the taxpayer-financed documentary The President Versus David Hicks, we also know that during this period Hicks was writing letters home saying he was fighting so that, in his words, "the Western-Jewish domination is finished, so we live under Muslim law again".'

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/opinion/editorial-hicks-finally-faces-the-consequences/story-e6frg6zo-1111113234573

Hence my point that from my perspective he deserves a metaphorical ear cuffing. The yanks were wrong in their treatment of prisoners, but geez, if you're stupid enough to declare jihad, you'd better be prepared to cop a fair whacking.

And sorry, I don't see an intention to forcibly convert the west (and by extension Australia) to fundamentalist Islamic states as something to treat particularly light heartedly.

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
And this germ has the raw hide to raise his head in public again. Surely he feels some semblance of remorse?
What? Traitors of this great country are heroes? He's a victim?

Ok then..

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I'm vague on this but what did Brandis have to do with Hicks incarceration in Quantanemo?

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Hope this helps mate...

Former Guantanamo Bay detainee David Hicks heckles Federal Attorney-General George Brandis
Updated about 11 hours agoThu 11 Dec 2014, 11:06am

Former Guantanamo Bay detainee David Hicks has heckled Federal Attorney-General George Brandis at an awards ceremony in Sydney.

His outburst followed the release of a damning US Senate report which said the CIA used "brutal" torture tactics to interrogate suspects in the wake of the 9/11 attacks.

"Hey, my name is David Hicks," he shouted, as Senator Brandis wrapped up his address at a Human Rights Awards function.

"I was tortured for five-and-a-half years in Guantanamo Bay in the full knowledge of your party. What do you have to say?"

The awards ceremony was being held on the same day the US Senate released a damning report into CIA torture which concluded that the intelligence agency used "brutal" and authorised methods.

As Senator Brandis walked off the stage at the Museum of Contemporary Arts, Mr Hicks told reporters he was a "coward" for not answering his question.

As the full extent of CIA torture is revealed, former Vice-President *smile* Cheney says he would do it over again. But what exactly is it that he is defending?
"He's run away," he said.

"It's too late - he's gone."

Mr Hicks was at the event with his lawyer, Stephen Kenny who said his client was angry Senator Brandis was talking about human rights.

"I think David was surprised to find Minister Brandis there, talking about human rights, when he was a member of the Howard government who had so completely ignored David's human rights," Mr Kenny said.

"The Australian Government should be held to account how they allowed David Hicks to be treated."

"Our real legal argument is that the offence to which he pleaded guilty to, simply does not exist in international or indeed Australian or American law."

This morning, Mr Kenny told ABC News Breakfast the heckling was unplanned.

"We didn't even know the Attorney-General was going to be speaking there, there was no premeditation.

"It was quite a spontaneous thought by David.

"He didn't say anything to me about it."

Mr Kenny said the CIA report didn't tell the full story of what went on at Guantanamo Bay.

"This is a vindication of David," he said.

"It confirms everything that we know, that this was just frankly routine and carried out in quite a brutal manner, and David still carries the scars of it today."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-10/david-hicks-heckles-george-brandis-at-sydney-awards-night/5958996

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Merveille said:
And this germ has the raw hide to raise his head in public again. Surely he feels some semblance of remorse?
What? Traitors of this great country are heroes? He's a victim?

Ok then..

How did he betray Australia exactly?

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
Merveille said:
Lazy barsteward. Have a look

Fair presumption that I haven't. What I was asking is what you think he has done to betray Australia? IMO his country pretty much bent him over to kiss up to George Dubbya.

Actually, I am not fussed what your thoughts are mate.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
K3 said:
How did he betray Australia exactly?

Merveille said:
Lazy barsteward. Have a look

looks like he might be innocent of any crime.

http://www.watoday.com.au/national/david-hicks-terrorism-charges-us-admits-he-is-innocent-20150122-12vzke.html

just as well it was the yanks who held and tortured him all those years otherwise it would have been a crime of terror and the oz gov would be paying him compo.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Which just goes to show - we must resist all encroachments on civil liberties and human rights in the name of "security".... Abbott and Howard can GGF

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
antman said:
Which just goes to show - we must resist all encroachments on civil liberties and human rights in the name of "security".... Abbott and Howard can GGF

:clap :clap :clap

if he is cleared, some people need to be made accountable.