david hookes in coma | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

david hookes in coma

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
How tragic and what a sad thing where a bouncer (allegedly) at a pub who's meant to protect people puts someone in hospital struggling for their life.

Get well soon Hooksey, show some true Bushrangers spirit and pull through this.

On another note does anyone know if RFC ever apologised to David and the Vic Cricket Team for the very public accusations against them in the paper? I think it's terrible if a false statement is given by the club and then not retracted in the same manner.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Hookes in coma after pub bashing

19jan04

VICTORIAN cricket coach and former Test player David Hookes is in a coma after being bashed outside a Melbourne pub.

Hookes "technically died" and was revived by ambulance paramedics after the assault outside the Beaconsfield Hotel in St Kilda at 11.45pm (AEDT) last night. He has serious head injuries.
Clark Forbes, the program director at Melbourne radio station 3AW, where Hookes is a member of the on-air team, said the attack was so brutal that ambulance paramedics worked to revive Hookes for half an hour.

"Technically he died - he was revived on the footpath outside the hotel concerned, which is a St Kilda late-night pub where the (Victorian state cricket) team had been celebrating yesterday's win over South Australia," Mr Forbes told Sydney radio station 2GB.

"He was there with a number of teammates. They were all having a very pleasant evening and he was involved in this incident."

Hookes was taken to the Alfred Hospital where this morning he was in a coma in the intensive care unit. A hospital spokeswoman said Hookes was in a critical condition.

"David sustained serious head injuries and he's in a coma," Mr Forbes said.

"I have to say he's not in a good way."

Mr Forbes said there was concern about Hookes sustaining brain damage.

"I think that's all our fears - when you've been out that long you've got to wonder what kind of effect it will have on a person."

Mr Forbes said he did not know what sparked the attack.

Witness Roman Longer said more than a dozen people were involved in the melee.

"There was a group of maybe 14 people involved, two groups, a security fellow who was sort of trying to step between the two groups, women screaming and it was at that time that we decided to ring police," he told ABC radio.

Paramedic Marcus Stacey told 3AW it was difficult to work on Hookes.

"When it became apparent who the patient was, having that person as a childhood hero, yeah it does make it a little bit challenging," he said.

Victorian Cricket Association executive director Ken Jacobs said he visited Hookes this morning.

"We are obviously thinking of David and his family, certainly our thoughts are with them and we'll do anything we can to support them," he said.

He declined to comment further due to the police investigation.

Police said they were questioning a 22-year-old St Albans man over the assault.

AAP

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/printpage/0,5481,8430679,00.html

CanbTiger

CARN' TIGES!
Oct 6, 2003
Canberra
This is positively devastating.

I heard today Hookesy was clinically dead on the pavement without oxygen for at least 30mins.

The risk that he will have permanent brain damage following this incident must be immense.

That a celebratory night could eventuate in this is pure tragedy.

My deepest, deepest sympathies to Hookes and his family. God willing you get well soon.
l

J

jake_the_lad

I am no medical expert, but when I did a first aid course the instructor said that the first 4 minutes is the key - after 4 minutes without oxygen the brain is severely damaged and they hold little hope for survival let alone a reasonable life. Given that David Hookes was without circulation for 30 minutes you would have to think he is in a very bad way indeed. Poor bugger, what a sad story.

alleycat

I'm a llama!
Aug 9, 2003
Frankston
just heard that they may turn off life support, i feel so sick this is one sad day indeed, i just cant express my anger at this stupid act of voilence

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
One report through the afternoon on ABC stated that the team had been asked to leave the premises after they had been there for an hour and half.

I would not like to be the bouncer that has been charged . . . sorry, crowd controller. (now there's a great job description!)

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
R.I.P David Hookes - A true cricketing legend and one of my personal boyhood heroes.

May the Hookes family and all his close friends get through this extremely sad time.

Sincere condolences.

mumbles

Born in ther year of the Tiger
Oct 7, 2003
R.I.P. david hookes
last year i became hooked on the sports show he did on aw and when he got dumped from the national side he smacked the sheffield shield bowlers for 300 odd
he had a lot of character 8) :)

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Very very sad. A great South Australian and great man. Devastating stuff, they better get this idiot for man-slaughter for his disgraceful actions and lock him away for years.

RIP Hookesy, you have been a shining light on not only cricket in South Australia of which you are a legend but also Australian cricket.