Debate of the week topic. Danny's contract. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Debate of the week topic. Danny's contract.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
If we don't win another game this season, which is looking a possibility, then I wouldn't be surprised if SPUD walked.

He is noted for his honesty and one would hope that if we failed to win another game this year he would be honest enough with himself to say he just doesn't cut the mustard.

the claw

thufferin thuckertash
Jun 17, 2003
WA
DragicevicFan said:
While the club should be aiming for stability, I personally dont see much point having stability for the sake of it, when the team isnt performing.

If Danny has another year on his contract, then I guess we dont have much option but to honour it, and if he lives up to his promises and clears out the deadwood on the list, we should get a fair indication of his ability next year. If we were to fail again next season, 5 years for 1 finals series would certainly not be good enough for a contract extension, and to suggest we are ready to extend the contract at the start of next season is riduculous. Extending the contract after the 2001 was a futile exercise also, as I dont think too many clubs would have been trying to poach Danny anyway.

To me, removing the clause was a strange thing to do, and one which I dont agree with. The clause was a good thing in my opinion, it gave us a chance to get out if the team isnt performing, which they arent. To now remove the clause seems as though we are too scared to make a tough decision on Danny and his performance.

I'm happy to let Danny finish out this season, and see what he does at the end of this year with the list. If tough decisions are made, we have a cleanout, trade a big name, get some high picks and recruit kids, not other clubs rejects, I will give him one more year, which i guess we have to if he lasts long enough to do the trading and drafting, but would welcome a mid season sacking next season if things are not working.
absolutely spot on DF

The Boss

Tiger Superstar
Apr 7, 2003
Greg Miller insisted on the change in Frawley's contract to get some stability in the place. He has been the CEO of the best performed club of the 90s both on the field and off the field (in terms of how the club is run and to consistently get over the obstacles in front of them). He is clearly trying to put some stability into Richmond.

In relation to Casey's comments, i have got some major issues. What a stupid comment saying that the club will look at reappointing Frawley early next season. Surely this was a throw away line??? There is no way he will be reappointed when his contract is over if the club does not make the finals.
Of greater concern was Casey discussing Frawley's payment with the media. Why did he feel the need to talk about the incentive of $15 for each member over 28000 and $15000 for each position in the top 8?? Surely this should not have been discussed in public. If I was Frawley I would be VERY annoyed with those comments as it is personal information and not for the public to know. I think it's ok for the emdia to speculate on payment as is widely the case but for the President to openly state payments is plain wrong.
Casey is a goose and not in touch with football culture and I can't help thinking he is trying to get exposure for personal business interests.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
gustiger12 said:
If we don't win another game this season, which is looking a possibility, then I wouldn't be surprised if SPUD walked.

He is noted for his honesty and one would hope that if we failed to win another game this year he would be honest enough with himself to say he just doesn't cut the mustard.

That is what I am hoping GT12.

I know it has been a "Bash Danny Week" but the guy has clearly worked his backside off to make the club a success and should be congratulated for that, unfortunatley as GT12 wrote, he can't cut the mustard.

On an interesting side point, Mark Harvey was asked on 927 this morning about the tiges, richo.... he said he would def keep Richo but didn't mention how he would use him, and did say he would most likely look for opps outside of Bummers. Well Mark, Richmond will have you.

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Harvey would make an excellent coach. At the very least he comes from a club with a winning culture.
Mark my words, if Geelong beats us this week, you can write Frawley epitaph. What little Casey says in public, is nothing that is going on now behind the scenes. Casey is no fool.A bloodbath awaites!
You should all know that Richmond is a volatile club. This stabilty nonsense is a load of crap. A dormant volcano will erupt very soon.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Harvey has the right pedegree (premiership player, assistant under an outstanding coach etc ) but he has only ever lived his football life under Sheedy, although there are worse people to learn from. I wonder if this limited experience would have a negative impact on his coaching.

Still, if he's interested he would certainly be one to consider.

P.S. Diggler, do you know what happening behind the scenes at Tigerland or speculating out loud?

g0tigers

carn the mighty tiges
Jun 16, 2003
Victoria, Australia
Did anyone see the article on Mark Harvey in todays Hearld Sun?? He wants a (main) coaching job, i didnt read it all, but when i do i might post it on here.