Decision making, ball-in-hand. DMBIH. Dimby. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Decision making, ball-in-hand. DMBIH. Dimby.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
It matters a lot and is the hallmark of the new RFC recruiting philosophy demonstrated from 2021.

How many Richmond sides have we watched that had no DMBIH in most of the players? Gawd, too many.

DMBIH is a big deal. RFC in 2022 is all over it.

Reactions: 3 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
When Shane Edwards gets .25 of a second to decide what to do with the ball, how incisive is his handball? Does Shane Edwards have AFL supreme DMBIH when he hesitation fakes and sends his team mate through? I reckon.

RFC won three flags on DMBIH. Our players are full of hurt when the game is going our way, as it often does.

How bout that Martin fellow? Can he dink the football 40m from the outside of his jiffy to a bloke nobody else noticed was on the park? That wouldn't be God's own execution if not for Martin's DMBIH.

Jack Riewoldt is slow. He's slight. He can get air but that's as much about his timing as his leap. Decision making with Jack. Can he weight a kick? A handball? How would you rate his target selection? Is it elite or historic? DMBIH.

Reactions: 5 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
DMBIH is influenced by other factors like knowing where your team mate is supposed to be. And your team mate actually getting there. (See GCFC.) But in the end we're all looking in roughly the same places and making quick decisions that are good or otherwise.

RFC had a period of recruiting when we demonstrated tat we valued adequate physique/athleticism above any level of DMBIH.

In 2021 we clearly had a focus on DMBIH. Hallelujah.

Reactions: 1 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
A genius can put almost any idiot through. But how dumb can the player be, who Edwards puts through?

It is certain that if at AFL level Shedda put RCD through within 50m of goal that RCD would get a goal shot and IMO would probably convert.

(The question we're looking at here is How dumb are the other players?)

If Shedda gathered at HBF and dropped his hands he would not drive the ball through to RCD because that would kill the ball. He would pick anybody else. Ralphsmith? Nup. Short? Can we get numbers on that? Houli? Cotchin? Slim Martin?

Edwards can pick the best option in a side that's half full of people with low DMBIH. Because Edwards is that good. But he does need some DMBIH around him. A lot is a big help.

Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
Apparently George was MIA and on an RDO when DMBIH was being doled out

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
BTW, DIMBY is the number one thing I look at in all the under 18 games I watch.

It's the ultimate adaptable skill.

Reactions: 1 users

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
Apparently George was MIA and on an RDO when DMBIH was being doled out
Well spotted, Tenacious.

I reckon the RDOs on George's roster line up with handball skill practice :cool:

That said, despite his flaws he's still valuable.

yandb

Tiger Champion
Mar 24, 2004
Rioli when under pressure has very good DIMBY but when not under pressure (e.g. after a mark or free kick) has poor DIMBY

Reactions: 1 user

Spirit of Jack

Only a Tiger premiership can make 2020 a good year
Apr 19, 2004
I appreciate the thread sentiment - but neither George or (expecting some pearl clutching reactions) K-Mac get a game if this is the number one criteria.