Demon tests positive to cocaine after home and away game | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Demon tests positive to cocaine after home and away game

Wow. The smoke is turning into a raging bushfire.
Hope he gets the help he needs.:confused:

If this "problem" is as bad as what it appears to be, it will interesting to see how this will play out. How long does he have left on his contract? 7 years? One of our gun players could very easily have turned out this way. Thankfully he pulled his head in (with a bit of tough love) and the rest is history. Melbourne might not be so lucky.

Reactions: 1 user
If this "problem" is as bad as what it appears to be, it will interesting to see how this will play out. How long does he have left on his contract? 7 years? One of our gun players could very easily have turned out this way. Thankfully he pulled his head in (with a bit of tough love) and the rest is history. Melbourne might not be so lucky.
I hope he gets the help he needs as well.
I don't advocate cutting him loose ala Ben Cousins but he must be close to "bringing the game into disrepute ". Have the afl changed there stance comparing it to Ben Cousins? Do they now see it as a medical problem and the player is better off staying in the system and getting the help he needs? Also he is contracted for 7 years, which makes it Melbournes problem to fix.

Sad as he is a serious talent.
Staggering that the grip it has on some.
Willing to destroy everything when at their peak in pursuit of the next high.

Feel for Oliver. He needs serious help and probably needed it 18 months to 2 years ago but was instead “managed” because he is a brilliant player and the club liked winning too much.
Same. He has mental health issues. Addiction does not discriminate. Consequences mean nothing when in action. Nothing. The guy would be feeling all sorts of shame and guilt but would not have coping skills. I feel for him being such a public figure. Most addicts at least have some anonymity. The guy is in desperate need of help, I hope he can get it. Unfortunately his profile makes the situation so much harder.

Good luck Clayton.

Reactions: 8 users
Maybe. Though the De Goey wrap sheet aint small. Among others:

- Broke his hand in a bar punch on. Then told the club his dog bit it lol.
- Drunk driving
- Indecent assault charge. Dropped admittedly.
- Arrested in New York charged and charged with forcibly touching. Downgraded and pleaded guilty to second degree harassment.
- The Bali breast and sexual gesture incident.

He is a *smile*. Wouldn't even put $5 towards the raffle of Leysy's old cricket club that he was paid a good few G's to speak at. Who does that?

But despite the above, would you want to keep him at your club when everyone else is saying not to. Absolutely.

Melbourne will be the same with Oliver. At least until it gets completely untenable, his on-field performance suffers and there is no way back.

Guys that win 4 x B&F's and 2 x AFL CA's association awards by 26 don't get replaced so it's a massive call to move them on.
Melbourne can’t trade him now, talk of already missing then start of the year, diminished value, they’d need to underwrite some of the contract for six years and get limited return.

Melbourne are one Max Gawn injury away from missing finals next year. Window closing fast. They are where we were at the start of 2022.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
It's hard not to speculate but we don't really know what it is he's facing.
The AFL media is treading pretty gently around it given all that's happened.
And that's fair enough, ToO. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Can't help but imagine how the media would be if it was say, Dusty in that situation. A feeding frenzy comes to mind :cool:

Reactions: 1 users
Melbourne can’t trade him now, talk of already missing then start of the year, diminished value, they’d need to underwrite some of the contract for six years and get limited return.

Melbourne are one Max Gawn injury away from missing finals next year. Window closing fast. They are where we were at the start of 2022.
It goes to show that despite TBR's protestations to the contrary, culture does matter. They won the 2021 flag on talent. Gawn is a great player and seems a good leader, but he's no Cotchin, and he has to deal with dickheads like May, Lever, Oliver and probably a few others. They should have won more than one flag, but they won't.

Reactions: 6 users
And that's fair enough, ToO. I hope he gets the help he needs.

Can't help but imagine how the media would be if it was say, Dusty in that situation. A feeding frenzy comes to mind :cool:
100% spot on
There would have been a complete shyte-storm of self-righteous moralising if it had been our champ

Reactions: 1 users
There’s a rumour on BF that Clarrie was partying at Revolver all night just the other day. You can only help someone who wants the help.

100% spot on
There would have been a complete shyte-storm of self-righteous moralising if it had been our champ

True, but maybe that is the answer here.

Everyone regardless of who they support sees Dusty as a Champ. Out and out champion of the game. So the media interest is high.

Oliver is only a Melbourne champ. Nowhere near Dusty’s appeal to the masses.

Let’s face it, the Demons got more headlines when Gutnick went Sputnik because half the Demons members had shares in his company, and the other 8 also read the Fin Review.

There’s a rumour on BF that Clarrie was partying at Revolver all night just the other day. You can only help someone who wants the help.
I have a friend who still frequents Revs quite a lot. He’s positive Clarrie is often around. You are right in that the person needs to want the help to succeed, but I do wonder if Melbourne could be doing more than what’s being reported for him, or maybe not more but different things.