Did Geelong loss to keep us out of the 8 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Did Geelong loss to keep us out of the 8

Did Geelong loss just to keep us out of the 8

• Yes

Votes: 15 34.1%
  • No

Votes: 29 65.9%

• Total voters
No, absolutely not.

Anyway, the way we’ve been playing the last 2 months they’d want us to be IN the 8.

Have had a history of doing that. They played St Kilda in the last round back in 1968 and lost keeping us from making the four at that time. The week after they played St Kilda again and smashed them by over ten goals......................
More recently, the Bummers in 2001. Tanked our R22 game to make us beat them so that we finish 4th (instead of Cartoon) and meet them in the QF where they thrashed us.

absurd.

1. last nights result it makes absolutely no difference to our hopes, because we play GWS, hopefully with 2 points between us.

2. Cats aren't guaranteed top 4, so zero chance they'de tank. 0, none, nada, zilch.

Cats were complacent, Leon came up with a blueprint that could see them go out in straight sets.

keep your forwards deep, and their intercepters accountable. Its exactly the lever Dimma pulled at HT in the 2020 GF.

stick with Shocking conspiracies, they are much more realistic and fun.
Yep, a much more plausible conspiracy is that the AFL will draw the line at the end of this round, now that we’ve all played each other once, fly everyone to Perth & go straight to finals.

I hate Geelong as much as anybody, but if they tanked last night to disadvantage us then I have no problem with that at all.
If a team has played well enough early in the season to work themselves into a position of superiority to the extent where they can deliberately drop matches to manipulate the finals to their advantage, then good luck to them.

This has to be thie single most idiotic topic brought up in the entire history of PRE. Are there some anti-vaxxers or flat earthers about who can add a bit of intellectual rigour to the discussion?

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
This has to be thie single most idiotic topic brought up in the entire history of PRE. Are there some anti-vaxxers or flat earthers about who can add a bit of intellectual rigour to the discussion?
So why do you think this topic is the most idiotic? Cannot happen? Has not happened? Head in the sand?

Yep Geelong "tanked" to keep us out of the 8. Nothing to do with our form the majority of this season...

Reactions: 1 user
Pfft. Anything the cats would want us to be in the 8.
We would be an easy kill.

Pfft. Anything the cats would want us to be in the 8.
We would be an easy kill.
Given they have beaten us comfortably at the G twice this season, given our putrid form and related injuries, given if you actually watched their match last night to see how well GWS played a Geesook that got desperate to haul them in but couldn't.
Why on earth would anyway throw a game to keep us out ... instead of an impressive, fighting GWS side, who are playing with great spirit? We are a pushover currently. Other teams have moved on from 2019-20 and well past.

Last edited:
Is this a serious question? Any team in the 8 would want us as an opponent for a easy victory. We are close to the worst team in the comp since the bye.

Should we expect a thread asking whether the Bulldogs tanked today to ensure we dont play finals? :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
No team has actually passed us by being a better side than our 2017 to 2020 team. The reality of injuries and our top players passing their peak has allowed them to be above us. Our performances have declined. The other teams have not got better. I would put my house on it that our 2017 to 2020 teams would win this year's granny if we performed to the same level as previous years.

cats lose their last 2, west coast lose 2 of 3, bombers win their last 2, lions win their last 2 and we win our last 2 and we have the cats in an elimination final.

No team has actually passed us by being a better side than our 2017 to 2020 team. The reality of injuries and our top players passing their peak has allowed them to be above us. Our performances have declined. The other teams have not got better. I would put my house on it that our 2017 to 2020 teams would win this year's granny if we performed to the same level as previous years.
Yes, I think I agree, on the proviso that Balta and Dusty are fit and playing. Geesook are a somewhat better team with Cameron and Smith fit and in too. But still think we could beat them at the packed G in front of the Tiger Army.