Ditch the whites, adopt the yellows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ditch the whites, adopt the yellows

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008

Have always disliked white away shorts even when playing, makes no sense and looks insipid.
The girls rolled out the yellow shorts yesterday and it looked so good. Time for the guys to do the same.
Like the girls if you add enough black piping trim it works.

• Dislike
  • Haha
Reactions: 11 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

Have always disliked white away shorts even when playing, makes no sense and looks insipid.
The girls rolled out the yellow shorts yesterday and it looked so good. Time for the guys to do the same.
No thanks

Reactions: 5 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
No thanks. Looks *smile* on guys that don’t wear the loose style of shorts that the girls do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Disco Soars

Tiger Cub
May 8, 2023

I wouldn't mind the black shorts paired with the yellow clash jumper when we play away at Port or Freo, the same combination as the VFL side. Looks striking.

Reactions: 2 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne

Nahhh

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
1699225629211.png

Hobart Football Club wore the yellow shorts with their tigers strip in the late 80s-early 90s. It was their primary short colour. So they wore yellow shorts home and away with no reason to switch to white at all. Gone back to it in recent years (albeit they are struggling to put a team on the park now).

These team pics are from 1989 and 1990 respectively, where they played in two TFL Statewide grand finals in a row.

1699225800193.png

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
View attachment 21001

Hobart Football club wore the yellow shorts with their tigers strip in the late 80s-early 90s. It was their primary short colour. So they wore yelow shorts home and away with no reason to switch to white at all. Gone back to it in recent years (albeit they are struggling to put a team on the park now).

These team pics are from 1989 and 1990 respectively, where they played in two TFL Statewide grand finals in a row.

View attachment 21002
I know every single one of those guys in those photos. Some good players and good blokes. Brer Fox…what a great player.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I know every single one of those guys in those photos. Some good players and good blokes. Brer Fox…what a great player.
Yeah I was in Primary school going along to games during that period. Played for probably the biggest junior club they had in their zone. So we tended to be given tickets quite often to watch them. And they regularly sent their players to our junior club (often ex members of our junior club) to run clinics and such. Jamie Shanahan and Scott Balmforth were two regulars I remember.

Fair to say, Hobart struggled for success for long periods of their history. Perhaps overshadowed by powerful, close neighbours (particularly North Hobart). I assume it probably crowded them out of decent zoning for a large portion of their existence.

Although, when the Eastern Shore developed and became more heavily populated from the 1950s onwards, they were given the northern half (from the Tasman highway north - I wonder if it annoyed Clarence somewhat, because they perhaps justifiedly would have thought of the entire Eastern Shore as their natural territory) some time in the 70s I believe. Seemed to help a lot. And those older than I tell me they were actually quite an astute club from a business perspective. Had some side businesses to provide income for the club. So by the late 80s had solid zone recruitment complemented by some purchases of outside talent. Really solid side on the park for 4-5 years in that era.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Yeah I was in Primary school going along to games during that period. Played for probably the biggest junior club they had in their zone. So we tended to be given tickets quite often in that era to watch them. And they often sent their players to our junior club (often ex members of our junior club) to run clinics and such.

Fair to say, Hobart struggled for success for long periods of their history. Perhaps overshadowed by powerful, close neighbours (particularly North Hobart). I assume it probably crowded them out of decent zoning for a large portion of their existence.

Although, when the Eastern Shore developed and became more heavily populated from the 1950s onwards, they were given the northern half (from the Tasman highway north - I wonder if it annoyed Clarence somewhat, because they perhaps justifiedly would have thought of the entire Eastern Shore as their natural territory) some time in the 70s I believe. Seemed to help a lot. And those older than I tell me they were actually quite an astute club from a business perspective. So by the late 80s had solid zone recruitment complemented by some purchases of outside talent. Really solid side on the park for 4-5 years in that era.
Those Hobart teams are missing some influential players around the time. Namely Alistair Lynch, Paul Hudson, Matthew Armstrong, Tony Morwood, Patrick Bailey (psycho), Robert Elphinstone (very funny man), Darren Perry. It was a strong playing list for a while.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Those Hobart teams are missing some influential players around the time. Namely Alistair Lynch, Paul Hudson, Matthew Armstrong, Tony Morwood, Patrick Bailey (psycho), Robert Elphinstone (very funny man), Darren Perry. It was a strong playing list for a while.
Yeah they played in 3 TFL Statewide grand finals between 1989 and 1992. And essentially played finals every year I believe for 5-6 years around that time. But it only returned 1 Premiership - 1990.

Add the above fellas you mention to the side, as well as Jamie Shanahan who was drafted to St.Kilda at the conclusion of 1990, they surely would have been quite dominant.

As a side note. Scott Wade was also another Hobart product. A Premiership player for them in 1984. Although by the late 80s-early 90s he was playing with Clarence (having spent time at Hawthorn for a couple of years too) after 170 odd games with Hobart.

Last edited:

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
T
I wouldn't mind the black shorts paired with the yellow clash jumper when we play away at Port or Freo, the same combination as the VFL side. Looks striking.
Reminds me of the old WA state of origin set up. Didn’t look bad from memory

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
We rocked the yellow shorts years ago, looked *smile* then n would still look *smile* now. Just imagine pairing up the lemony yellow jumper with some nice little wide legged lemony yellow shorts as our away / clash strip. FMD.

Reactions: 3 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
No fken way
The shiit we will cop will be unbelievable..
It will match the day Carlton wore baby blue.
We wear white in away games and black for home games.
That's it

Reactions: 3 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
No fken way
The shiit we will cop will be unbelievable..
It will match the day Carlton wore baby blue.
We wear white in away games and black for home games.
That's it
Done properly with the right amount of black trim it would look great. It’s not like yellow isn’t our colour, it’s in our theme song! White isn’t in our colour range, so why do we wear white shorts?
Have some foresight and courage people!

Reactions: 4 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
if i ever see us in yellow shorts again I'll spew up

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
View attachment 21001

Hobart Football Club wore the yellow shorts with their tigers strip in the late 80s-early 90s. It was their primary short colour. So they wore yellow shorts home and away with no reason to switch to white at all. Gone back to it in recent years (albeit they are struggling to put a team on the park now).

View attachment 21002
Some VFL AFL representation right there.

Jamie Shanahan (StKilda), Mark Browning (Syd/Sth Melb) and Andrew Lamprill (Melb)