Injury Report - Season 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Injury Report - Season 2023

Feb 25, 2007

Injury Report: First pre-season hit-out​

Get the latest injury update ahead of Richmond's pre-season hit-out against North Melbourne on Friday.
By Richmond Media - 2 hrs ago

AFLTrainingFeb22-4015-Jacob-Bauer-Liam-Baker.png

Get the latest injury update from Physical Performance Manager Luke Meehan ahead of Richmond's pre-season hit-out against North Melbourne on Friday.

Tom Lynch, plantar fasciitis

"Tom is building his skills time with the group and is a chance to play some game time against Melbourne."

Liam Baker, appendicitis
"Liam had his appendix removed last week. He is unavailable this week and unlikely for the Melbourne game, however we will know more early next week."

Jack Graham, toe
"Similar to Lynch, Jack is building his skill work with a view to be available at the start of the season."

Jacob Bauer, ankle
"Jacob has a very minor syndesmosis. He is out of the moon boot and will resume running later this week."

Tyler Sonsie, hip
"Tyler has a small hip flexor injury. He will be unavailable this week and likely available for the Melbourne game."

Jason Castagna, hamstring
"Jason has begun his rehab run progressions but will be unavailable for both practice games."

Screen-Shot-2023-02-14-at-3.45.48-pm

Josh Gibcus, hamstring
"Josh is four weeks into his rehab program and running well."

Nathan Broad, hamstring
"Nathan's rehab is progressing well. We expect him to play some game time against Melbourne."

Mate Colina
"Mate's putting back-to-back running sessions together."

Kaleb Smith, foot
"Kaleb will be in a moon boot for another week. We will assess where he is at once the boot is removed."

AFLTrainingFeb22-4028-Kaleb-Smith.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Too many injuries, Kane Cornes is often wrong but he’s bang on the money with this.

We have gotten waaaay too many injuries to key players in the last three years.

Reactions: 1 users

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004
I do agree but are we seeing it in isolation. Are other teams in the same boat but we don't follow that news of course (shrugs shoulders).

Maybe its the norm around the AFL and we just don't notice, or it tends to hit our top end players more than the lower end...many questions ?

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Baker is a machine and he will play Round 1 i have no doubt

Nothing will stop this terrier

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Too many injuries, Kane Cornes is often wrong but he’s bang on the money with this.

Doesnt look too bad for leysy.

ATM Only Castagna, Gibcus and Smith unavailable for round 1.

We'd take that.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell

We have but it would be interesting to see whether our soft tissue injuries are more than other clubs.
They may be but I don’t really know as I don’t pay attention to others that much.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Doesnt look too bad for leysy.

ATM Only Castagna, Gibcus and Smith unavailable for round 1.

We'd take that.

key players have often been hampered, not able to get a clean run of games. each game someone seems to go down, to the point of listening to dimma's presser just to find out who else has been injured

been that way since the last flag

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
We have but it would be interesting to see whether our soft tissue injuries are more than other clubs.
They may be but I don’t really know as I don’t pay attention to others that much.

Geelong seems to have been KOTD with an even older list

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
there's injury management, which seems to be OK (apart from controversies like Vlastuin last year)

and there's injury prevention, which appears to have deteriorated since 2019. i do concede though that we train pretty hard and our contest method is physical

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Geelong seems to have been KOTD with an even older list
We have a few players who have had chronic hammies like Prestia, grimes and Cotchin. To be fair Grimes hadn’t had one for a while before last year.
What seems an issue over the last year is the number of players not in that chronic category getting them. Lynch got one, Dusty ( I can’t ever remember him having a hamstring injury in the past) and this preseason we have had Gibcus and Castagna.
I have no idea if this is worse than other clubs? Maybe it is.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
We have a few players who have had chronic hammies like Prestia, grimes and Cotchin. To be fair Grimes hadn’t had one for a while before last year.
What seems an issue over the last year is the number of players not in that chronic category getting them. Lynch got one, Dusty ( I can’t ever remember him having a hamstring injury in the past) and this preseason we have had Gibcus and Castagna.
I have no idea if this is worse than other clubs? Maybe it is.

maybe it exacerbated our lack of midfield depth last year also, Sin, so seemed worse. just seemed to be a procession of key injuries.

2023 hasn't really started any better so here's hoping we come good!

Reactions: 1 user
Feb 25, 2007

Injury Report: March 1, 2023​

Get the latest injury update from Physical Performance Manager Luke Meehan ahead of Richmond's pre-season practice match against Melbourne on Saturday.

Get the latest injury update from Physical Performance Manager Luke Meehan ahead of Richmond's pre-season practice match against Melbourne on Saturday.

Tom Lynch, foot

"Presuming Tom completes training on Thursday, he will be available for reduced game time on Saturday against Melbourne."

Liam Baker, appendix removed

"Liam has joined in non-contact drills with the group, he has a few things to get through on Thursday during our main session. Presuming he does, he is expected to play some game time on Saturday."

Jack Graham, toe

"Jack has been training with the group for a couple of weeks and is close to playing some game time. A decision will be made later this week as to when that is."

AFLTrainingFeb22-4264-Jack-Graham.jpg

Nathan Broad, hamstring

"Presuming Nathan completes training on Thursday, he is available to play on Saturday."

Tyler Sonsie, hip flexor

"Presuming Tyler completes training on Thursday, he is available to play on Saturday."

Marlion Pickett, adductor

"Marlion is managing an adductor. He will be unavailable for this weekend but is probable to play in the VFL practice game next week."

Robbie Tarrant, hip

"Robbie is managing some hip symptoms and is unavailable in the short term."

Kaleb Smith, foot

"Kaleb is out of the moon boot and will look to begin running next week."

Jacob Bauer, ankle

"Jacob has commenced running on the Alter G and is progressing well."

AFLTrainingFeb22-4015-Jacob-Bauer-Liam-Baker.jpg

Adonely

Tiger Cub
Feb 4, 2023
Anyone else not like the lack of detail in Meehan's injury reports?

Reactions: 6 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
He’s had that many injuries to deal with this pre season he probably can’t remember half the detail with them all.

Possibly the worst pre season for injuries I can remember. Reckon we’re gonna have a number of underdone players going into the start of the season.

As highlighted by a few, having a sound pre season is important for setting a base and avoiding injury in-season. Hopefully this pre season doesn’t dovetail into injuries during the actual season proper.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Are people concerned going into the season with what appears to be a lot of players going down over the past 4-6 weeks? Or are we happy that the majority got enough of their training loads in?

I’m a bit concerned over the possibilty of another slow start. The first 6 games are tricky.