Domestic Air Travel | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Domestic Air Travel

Which company do you fly with most often?

• Tiger

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Qantas

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Virgin

Votes: 8 40.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I'm interested to know which airline people use the most. I tend to fly Virgin. I like the fact their no frills policy makes them considerably cheaper. I was held up several hours in Canberra last year due to a technical problem but other than that have always found them reliable. I haven't flown Tiger because I've read they're not reliable in regard to flights leaving on time, or even leaving at all. Not sure if there's any basis to that so it's possible I'm needlessly limiting my options.

B1 and B2

Richo & The Twins
Mar 6, 2007
rosy23 said:
I haven't flown Tiger because I've read they're not reliable in regard to flights leaving on time, or even leaving at all. Not sure if there's any basis to that so it's possible I'm needlessly limiting my options.

Have you watched "Airport" the last couple of weeks Rosy??

If you watched it you would never fly Tiger.

B1

By the way congrats to the Bananas 2000 Posts :clap

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
No and I don't wish to either by the sound of it. I hate flying, and am quite paranoid about every bump and rattle, but sometimes it's just too far to walk or swim.

B1 and B2

Richo & The Twins
Mar 6, 2007
rosy23 said:
No and I don't wish to either by the sound of it. I hate flying, and am quite paranoid about every bump and rattle, but sometimes it's just too far to walk or swim.

I'm with you I have flown to LA before and sat white knuckled for 15 hours on a perfectly smooth flight, I hate it.

But I don't let it stop me going away, I just put up with my fear cos I love getting away (particularly with Mrs.B1 and 3 rugrats - but thats another story in itself getting 3 kids on a plane!!)

B1

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I flew Tiger just this weekend and had absolutely no issues. Heaps cheaper than the competitors too.
Don't think heavily edited TV shows are a fair reflection of reality.

mk33

Tiger Champion
Jul 24, 2005
Caulfield
Mainly fly Qantas but have done Virgin.
Try to avoid Jetstar and will never touch Tiger again.
Heard too many stories Re Tiger of changing people flights and not advising and cancelling flights on the day and not advising with next flight 2 days later. Jetstar are no better at customer service either at that level.

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Like Virgin but haven't had any problems when recently flew with Jetstar.Have flown with Tiger a couple of times awhile back without any issues.

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
refuse to fly Jetstar and Tiger (heard too many horror stories)

prefer Qantas, but don't mind Virgin

Lidsand

Chimp Mail - Delivering Since 2007
Oct 12, 2005
Melbourne
whoever is cheapest on webjet from tullamarine.

i'd never fly out of avalon even if it was free

but yes i don't mind a virgin either

Red Sea Tiger

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 15, 2004
* Have flown Tiger many times. Thought it was a great way to take the kids across the country. We had 1 sector delay of 2 hours out of probably 20 sector flights in total. My only issue with them has been with baggage weights being different to what I thought it was and that was only once. It's clearly a Budget carrier, but I was very impressed with how straight forward a long range ticket to Perth had to be cancelled and having the Tiger Insurance on that made it very smooth as a refund. The crowds that fly Tiger aren't the Jet Set suit brigade that fly Qantas though, clearly :angel:

I figured it was good to fly a Tiger, being a Tiger !

* We do fly Jetstar now and again. I have no problem with either Tulla or Avalon but that's me. Don't get caught booking a flight out of Tulla but back into Avalon, if you've parked the car at Tulla (or vice versa). Sounds impossible but it has happened .................... ahhh to a friend of mine ................. ;D

* The kids loved a recent Qantas trip, because they got a hot meal (easy to please). So the pressure is on to burn up Frequent Flyer points.

* I absolutely refuse to fly with Virgin, but that has to do with some disasters with other Virgin products that has made me ban them period for everything ! They can go take a flying leap for all I care.

We almost always use the Long Term car park at Tulla when we go away rather than take a Cab, although when I do take a Cab for anything I almost always call Silver Top Tiger Taxi (after the club promotion a few years ago).

Tiger74

In deedily doodily neighbourino!
Jul 2, 2004
Melbourne
mb64 said:

too many bad reports from mates and work colleagues regarding schedules and attitude of staff

If I'm paying several hundred for a flight, I don't expect a glorified waiter to treat me like crap

that and I refuse to go to Avalon

mb64

Tiger Legend
Jul 26, 2004
Melbourne
Tiger74 said:
too many bad reports from mates and work colleagues regarding schedules and attitude of staff

If I'm paying several hundred for a flight, I don't expect a glorified waiter to treat me like crap

that and I refuse to go to Avalon
I haven't found Jetstar too bad,wouldn't fly out of Avalon,agree with you there.

bowden4president

Stackman
Feb 19, 2005
Punt Rd
Mainly Virgin for me. I go to Sydney and Brisbane at least once a year and would give Jetstar a go if the flight weren't out of Avalon. I have had 2 mates who have both had issues with Tiger flights which has put me off them.

geoffryprettyboy

Tiger Legend
Apr 8, 2004
I'm a Virgin or Jetstar flyer, or Qantas when they have specials. Will never, ever fly Tiger, the first time I gave them benefit of the doubt, the second time was the straw that broke the camles back.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
In WA we don't have a lot of choice. Have never flown Jetstar or Tiger as the flight times out of Perth tend to be midnight horrors (difficult for people living in regional WA to connect to), or when they are at decent depature or arrival times the prices tend to be comparable to Virgin and even QANTAS.

Out of choice I fly Virgin. Don't like the way that QANTAS, our national airline, has axed so many local jobs and still charges top price for servicing work done in dubious overseas locations.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
flown with all airlines and haven't had too many issues. in order:
1. qantas (obviously more expensive)
2. virgin (the foxtel keeps me occupied)
3. jetstar (seats for overseas flights are very comfy for catle class)
4. tiger (while i didn't have too much of an issue, the check in area at tulla is a disgrace. whats the story with no computer automated check in?)

mb64 said:
I haven't found Jetstar too bad,wouldn't fly out of Avalon,agree with you there.

whats wrong with avalon? the only problem i've had is that the landings are dodgy (swaggies boot)

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Mainly Virgin, its cheaper and I find it more reliable than Qantas. As for Jetstar Avalon is just too far.