Draft prospects 2019 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Draft prospects 2019

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Talking about the new clubs, I wonder how Callan Ward feels?
Left the club he barracks for as a kid who then won the flag. misses this year. He has got to regret it

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Fair call on Whitfield. Is a reminder that we went into that match with a lot going right, while the giants had no petrol tickets left and players only half right.... next year isnt going to be a walk in the park.

I've gone in to bat for Bach this year against claims of stat padding and ineffective picks. Bach is a champ.

so back to the juniors. do you pick an outside 4 goal in the prelim winger in the top 10?
Or inside mid 2 goals in the granny?
tough call

Richmond probs dont get the chance this month.
Yet with talk that Giants, Dees, Freo want to trade I would be to be trading down and aiming for a future star

I knew The Giants were completely rooted by the time they got to us.

whitfield, coniglio, Davis, Mumford, calm ward and toby Greene all *smile* one way or another.

ive been taking the Richmond V GWS GF quinella since 2017

yeah, they could easily be back next year. and We wouldn't beat them by nearly as much.

we gave them an intensive workshop in how to be a decent footy side and I think they will be better for it.

back on recruiting .... best available with our first and then heir apparent premiership smokies with the rest.

I dont see any needs. Our list managers and recruiters have been three times as good as 2nd best for half a decade now.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
We may have psychologically ruined the giants after the grand final massacre , I hope they wont go down the crows path of listening to the Tiger yellow n Black song

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
We may have psychologically ruined the giants after the grand final massacre , I hope they wont go down the crows path of listening to the Tiger yellow n Black song

oddly, in a weird sort of reverse torture technique, I've been whistling 'theres a big big sound' all October and November.

credit where credit is due. Its equal second best song in the game with the saints I reckon.

Tails

Still Chasing Dreams
Mar 10, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I respect that sentiment. Expanding the game is important.

I don’t believe my view is Victorian-centric. I am strongly of the opinion that sporting clubs start from the ground up, not from the top down like the expansion clubs have done.

A bunch of people somewhere start a club, they get behind it, support it, build it from scratch, pay their dues over time and, finally, succeed. If they are well-run. All the Victorian clubs in the AFL started like this but so did Claremont, Port Adelaide, Subiaco, Central Districts, Norwood, Port Melb, Williamstown and countless other clubs across the country. Adelaide and West Coast are essentially state teams and have an argument for inclusion in the AFL, but so does Tasmania. Even Sydney and Brisbane are relocated clubs with long histories.

Every one of these clubs has a stronger claim on a seat at the AFL table than the expansion teams.

The idea that the AFL can decide it wants to expand into uncharted territories is fine. Put them there, by all means, but only if they have ground roots support. Why start Gold Coast when a Southport already existed and had support? Why GWS and not Canberra, where AFL is already viable?

The follow up idea that a generation of young footballers have to be delivered to expansion clubs to make them instantly successful and compensate them for not having ground roots support is where I draw the line.

GWS and GC are an abomination. At least Gold Coast understands its place in the competition.

I guess my objection is to the idea that it will only work if the clubs have instant success. This is disrespectful to every Melbourne,, North Melbourne, Bulldogs, Fremantle, Port Adelaide supporter who stumps up for his membership for years without success. It is disrespectful to every Claremont supporter who would love his club to be in the AFL and to every Tasmanian football supporter, amongst many, many others.

I am just thankful that, so far, every GWS Finals campaign has been ended by a real club. Long may this last.

End of rant. I’m sure we all enjoyed being handed an extra 10,000 GF tickets because GWS have no-one to sell them to. A perverse Bonus!
TOTTY,
A lot of what you say is true especially about Gold Coast / Southport but these clubs weren't expected to have instant success they were set up top end talent but that didnt ensure success, GWS did it better than GCS because they had a year to watch as a sighter on how to go about it. The GCS were starting up in a region which has a lot of AFL talent there they just fumbled the set up. GWS set up in a area were there was no Sydney team and they ended up having to gravitate back to Homebush but the Sydney AFL comp has been going on for over 80 years. John Northey left Richmond to Captain Coach my club Western Suburbs and they were a rich club in the 60's & 70's. Now you might not be aware of that but the facts are GWS started from nothing, most of its members are members of other clubs with a small base of converts. it has grown to 30k because they are really well run for the most part and have pushed to Swans to be more engaged in the Sydney scene. The AFL have dropped to ball in administering the Sydney League but thats a long story for another time.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I was sure last year's draft prospects came with a link to video highlights of individuals but I can't find any this year. Does that sound right?

Last edited:

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Key defender key defender key defender. We need at least one decent option to start developing immediately and I can stop fretting

Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Below is a 40 minute Top 30 Mock Draft podcast by Cal Twomey and Shifter Sheehan: Will Day allocated at our pick but Cal would have picked Bianco if Shifter hadn't taken him the pick before.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Below is a 40 minute Top 30 Mock Draft podcast by Cal Twomey and Shifter Sheehan: Will Day allocated at our pick but Cal would have picked Bianco if Shifter hadn't taken him the pick before.

Cooper Stevens still on the board at 26 so there I hope for the fanz. I think I am all in with best available at first pick and hopefully a couple of talls slide to our picks around 39. When the hype machine gets going with all the smokeys I think our recruiters keep their heads.

FistFullOfDollars

Tiger Rookie
Dec 16, 2009
No Rivers in that AFL.com podcast phantom is interesting. Seems to have draft watchers split on where he fits in the draft order.

I've seen one phantom that had him going at pick 6 to the dockers.