Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

don’t mind saying it will hurt watching him play for another club. The other Tiger immortals didn’t do that.
it will hurt. For sure. But it’s probably to our benefit. If we can use cap space to bring in a taranto or 2 for instance, the refresh can begin in Ernest.

No coincidence that he launches his app amongst a storm of Dusty stories.
For a man who despises the media he seems to be using them to a tee.

For what's it worth.
I reckon the AFL are involved and THEY are the ones trying to get Dusty to move to help boost crowds in Western Sydney.
So I reckon it won't be the Swans but GWS. And the AFL will pay him a outside the cap.
Ambassador role.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user
1) going to sydney won't help Dusty avoid the limelight

2) i think the club reckons Dusty has nothing much left to give and is subtly trying to move him on and clear $$

3) reading between the lines I think the club is shocked at how 'absent' Dusty is this year

4) someone is feeding Caro and that suggests this is a club-driven agenda

Reactions: 2 users
I really don’t get why he would want to go to Sydney? Not challenging what you’ve been told but it really doesn’t make any sense. The grief will be there wherever he goes and he would be leaving the greatest support structure he has most likely ever known. How does he think that will help him? Does he think there is no media in Sydney? They may not be as interested in AFL as they are down here but they are a pack of vultures always after a story and he will be hounded just as much as he is in Melbourne. And the pressure would be immense to bring them a flag alongside Buddy. The two biggest names in the game at the team that apparently just has to succeed because the supporters will disappear once they spend a couple of years out of the finals. How would he deal with being the “saviour” of Sydney.

It’s a bizarre situation. It might happen but I won’t pretend to understand it if it does. I just hope we get a bloody good deal out of it. I don’t mind saying it will hurt watching him play for another club. The other Tiger immortals didn’t do that.
I completely agree with you. It would be the wrong decision for him. Maybe he has a greater circle of friends up there?

Reactions: 1 user
Its been soft messaging all year that’s it’s going to happen.

Caro going with it might happen is pretty damning. Feels like she gets deliberate club leaks.

Im really curious as to what the price is.
Whilst we love how the club looks after the players if they want to leave for more opportunity, this time around it must make sure it gets the best deal for the RFC.

Reactions: 3 users
I think it is all about anonymity, nothing to do with grieving.

Buddy wanted out of the Melbourne bubble, these guys can't do anything in Melbourne without being recognised.

Ralph was talking about Sydney long before his dad passed away.

Dusty will be able to do whatever he wants in Sydney.

And from all reports he's closest at the club with Caddy (gone) and Cotch (going?).

Reactions: 1 users
I’m excited. Still doubt it’ll happen, but if it did, another big Draft haul plus the potential of Taranto. Maybe another as well….

Club going forward. Operative word being “club” and not an emotional, single player based outlook.

Reactions: 7 users
Perfect scenario IMO

Dusty fit and on form, turns it on late August/September - we win premiership #14

Baker, Board and Rioli all sign on.

Lambert and Edwards say farewell as they collect premiership medallion 4. Jack goes on, Cotch decides over summer.

We negotiate a Dusty contarted Dusty trade to either Sydney club.

We get 3-4 picks inside the top 30 again. Target the best contested ball mids and look at a FF / CHF for the future.

There - done :)

Reactions: 4 users
1) going to sydney won't help Dusty avoid the limelight

2) i think the club reckons Dusty has nothing much left to give and is subtly trying to move him on and clear $$

3) reading between the lines I think the club is shocked at how 'absent' Dusty is this year

4) someone is feeding Caro and that suggests this is a club-driven agenda
Caro is on the money with this stuff does her homework compared to other journalists.

I love Dusty , but remember no one is bigger then the club star players or not.

Reactions: 5 users
it will hurt. For sure. But it’s probably to our benefit. If we can use cap space to bring in a taranto or 2 for instance, the refresh can begin in Ernest.
If it does happen there must be some real, substantial and tangible benefit for the club; he is under the mots lucrative contract ever given to a Richmond player after all. He can't leave and expect us to pony up some of his salary whilst making one of our key rivals even more competitive.

We're not having Scumwood fire sale here; I can't imagine the club is wanting to push him out.

Reactions: 2 users
I’m excited. Still doubt it’ll happen, but if it did, another big Draft haul plus the potential of Taranto. Maybe another as well….

Club going forward. Operative word being “club” and not an emotional, single player based outlook.
It's hard not to be emotive when talking about the greatest player of his generation and one of the top 5 Tigers of all time.

But yeah if he does want to go we need to make sure there is an immediate and substantial benefit to the club that can help set us up for the next 10 plus years. No way should we be forking out for him to play at the Swans or Giants; that would defeat the purpose. He is under contract so if it happens we need to make sure we stay in the driver's seat.

Reactions: 3 users
It's hard not to be emotive when talking about the greatest player of his generation and one of the top 5 Tigers of all time.

But yeah if he does want to go we need to make sure there is an immediate and substantial benefit to the club that can help set us up for the next 10 plus years. No way should we be forking out for him to play at the Swans or Giants; that would defeat the purpose. He is under contract so if it happens we need to make sure we stay in the driver's seat.
He’s 31. On $1.2m. Soft tissue injuries. Declining production it appears.

Hartley knows what he’s doing.

Club before emotional, individual based sentimentality. That’s 1980’s stuff.

Reactions: 4 users
He’s 31. On $1.2m. Soft tissue injuries. Declining production it appears.

Hartley knows what he’s doing.

Club before emotional, individual based sentimentality. That’s 1980’s stuff.
Don't disagree with any of that. But what is a good deal for the RFC? Clearing cap space to get a player/players in is a good start but paying some of Dusty's salary whilst he's playing for a rival is counter productive.

What should we seek in return if he decides to leave?

Wilson has a huge history of presenting her opinion as fact and makes out as if she's got sources inside the club, lest we never forget Richo calling her out on her lies about the leadership group all those years ago.

The guy has been front and centre in the news the past few days, why, because a lightweight journo Maclure gave his opinion that he thinks he'll leave because of what Dimma said 2 or 3 months ago. He gets doorstopped and ignores the journo and then another idiot, Cornes, slags him off and he's front page news again. He has a manager that loves his client being front page news even if his client doesn't.

They're all guessing, they know nothing, the only way he actually goes is if the club is happy for him to go.

Reactions: 6 users