Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Why??? The club has said on many occasions over recent years, that if a player wants to leave then we'll try to help them get the move done as best we can.

Dusty wants to go, Dusty not sure what he wants to do, media n fans speculating n jibbering everywhere. Dimma just laid out the the flat track comment, it's up to Dusty, he owes us nothing n we won't stop him.
Again because he didn’t need to say anything. No one was talking about it until Dimma started.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Again because he didn’t need to say anything. No one was talking about it until Dimma started.
and the press and everyone else turned it into the juggernaut misnomer that it has become

Reactions: 1 user

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Incorrect.
Speculation on Dusty moving had been in the media for weeks before Dimma said anything, which was a couple of weeks AFTER Dusty had returned from his personal leave, which triggered all the rumours in the first place

Reactions: 6 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Dimma is the spokes person for the RFC. Speculation in the press arising from his own personal crisis was one thing but when Dimma spoke it was interpreted as meaning that he was available.
Suddenly the best player in the league. a winner of 3 Norm Smith medals, was available according to his coach.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
He broke the story causing massive pressure to be put on
our grieving champion and massive disruption for the club.

I actually see this the opposite way round. Dimma articulating the club’s position on Dusty as being one of take your time, you owe us nothing after all you have given us, you are one of us and we will support you in what you want to do.

The media had this ‘story’ before Dimma talked about it. Dimma quite possibly had the opposite effect, helping to keep it under control. We will never know.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Ummmm! Why would Dimma make such a comment when no-one was talking about it??? Pretty sure at least one someone from somewhere must have been talking about it to be able to ask the question of Dimma during the media briefing in the first place.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I actually see this the opposite way round. Dimma articulating the club’s position on Dusty as being one of take your time, you owe us nothing after all you have given us, you are one of us and we will support you in what you want to do.

The media had this ‘story’ before Dimma talked about it. Dimma quite possibly had the opposite effect, helping to keep it under control. We will never know.
Don’t see it that way myself Streaker but your abiding faith in the judgement of our coach does you great credit.

Reactions: 1 user

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Leaving Dimma aside, Dusty and Ralph have contributed to all of this by sending their own club's media people to Coventry.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Dimma is the spokes person for the RFC. Speculation in the press arising from his own personal crisis was one thing but when Dimma spoke it was interpreted as meaning that he was available.
Suddenly the best player in the league. a winner of 3 Norm Smith medals, was available according to his coach.

My two bobs worth.

Dimma is on record as saying that he will always support his players, and has a track record of doing, just that.

Dimma was showing "support" for Dusty (who is/was mourning the loss of his father, hero and best mate) when he gave his blessing should he choose to leave.

Who's to say.....Dusty might be more inclined to stay, because of the "support" Dimma showed him.

Dimma was asked about Dusty's future, and the talk that he might finish his career somewhere else. Dimma answered by saying that Dusty would have his blessing should he leave.

I'm not hung up about whether Dusty leaves or not. I would love for him to finish his career at Tigerland though.

Dusty would leave with my blessing too, because of the joy he brought me, and all us Tiger fans, something that I didn't think I would ever see after all the years of heartbreak.

What's most important to me is, is what's best for Dusty and his wellbeing.

Reactions: 3 users

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

Agree 100%

If the story was going to be whipped up - it was gonna happen irrespective of whatever actual words Dimma‘s used. And in the circumstances his comments were measured and respectful to Dusty and the footy club and more likely to calm the waters than create waves.

Sheer lunacy to cast aspersions on the coach over this.

Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
My two bobs worth.

Dimma is on record as saying that he will always support his players, and has a track record of doing, just that.

Dimma was showing "support" for Dusty (who is/was mourning the loss of his father, hero and best mate) when he gave his blessing should he choose to leave.

Who's to say.....Dusty might be more inclined to stay, because of the "support" Dimma showed him.

Dimma was asked about Dusty's future, and the talk that he might finish his career somewhere else. Dimma answered by saying that Dusty would have his blessing should he leave.

I'm not hung up about whether Dusty leaves or not. I would love for him to finish his career at Tigerland though.

Dusty would leave with my blessing too, because of the joy he brought me, and all us Tiger fans, something that I didn't think I would ever see after all the years of heartbreak.

What's most important to me is, is what's best for Dusty and his wellbeing.
Well put and I agree with most of it TM. But it might have been better if he simply rang Dusty and told him that.