Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

If we do give him time off on game day than I reckon something stinks at Richmond. The media ban, dimma trying to sweeten the media. Something isn't quite right.
Dusty can see his dad on his days off, just like the rest of the working population.

I was under the impression that RFC would be facilitating the time and opportunity for Martin to see his father in NZ at various points during the season.
Didn't read it that he was going to miss the game against the West Coast Eagles.
Maybe I am wrong ... wouldn't be the first time ... or the thousandeth time

Dyer'ere said:
It seems absurd to name the bloke if we've planned to give him the Friday night off.
He is playing tomorrow. They give him time away when he can between games.

The current circumstances for Martin will certainly be a test of his character and his, as Hardwick stated today, new-found maturity.
Martin will get extra kudos if he is able to put in a blinder against WCE given that he must be affected by the family turmoil playing out with his father.

Jason King said:
If you want a reason to further hate humanity check out the comments in the H&S article.

Some heartless morons out there for sure.
You can't choose your family. His dad can no longer watch him play footy live in Australia. That would be hard. Dusty would see first hand at the club the involvement of other parents with their son's careers.

I wish him the best and have confidence that Chocco and the club are looking after him.

Tigers of Old said:
I don't subscribe to that pap.

This ones "free" but in reality it just costs brain cells and time :hihi

Merveille said:
Some heartless morons out there for sure.
You can't choose your family. His dad can no longer watch him play footy live in Australia. That would be hard. Dusty would see first hand at the club the involvement of other parents with their son's careers.

I wish him the best and have confidence that Chocco and the club are looking after him.

Heartless for sure. The old vultures are out in full effect, but oddly enough I dont know why i am surprised. These are probably the same dudes who hurl rape threats online at women who just try to do their jobs.

Cant imagine what its like for Dusty, but I guess he has to grow up and stand on his own at some stage. Glad the club are (and have been) doing all they can. People first.

Smoking Aces said:
He is playing tomorrow. They give him time away when he can between games.

Thanks, SA. I was responding to the idea in the article that he would miss Friday night. Daily Telegraph! At first I thought it was The Age.

Dusty deserves a medal to have got where he is today from the hardships he has come from. Those morons who spend time reading The Hun and posting comments wouldn't have half the discipline and focus to meet the demands of an AFL career. Dusty's an overachiever compared to the pampered Private School boys that make up the AFL these days. Compare Dusty's pathways to where he is now, and compare that to a Jack Watts or even a Ty Vickery for that matter.

blutiga said:
Dusty deserves a medal to have got where he is today from the hardships he has come from. Those morons who spend time reading The Hun and posting comments wouldn't have half the discipline and focus to meet the demands of an AFL career. Dusty's an overachiever compared to the pampered Private School boys that make up the AFL these days. Compare Dusty's pathways to where he is now, and compare that to a Jack Watts or even a Ty Vickery for that matter.
His background was an interesting story. I remember reading about it leading up to the draft we picked him up in. A lot of people don't realize, he came within a whisker of being a Swan via their academy. Think i recall that he spent some time in Sydney living and working for his father's company and was playing seniors for Campbelltown in the AFL Sydney comp as a 16yo (tore up Sydney junior footy so much, they sent him straight to seniors). If he had lived in NSW for a matter of only weeks longer, the Swans as an academy pick (or similar) would have been the likely outcome.

I really feel for the lad. This can't be easy for him.

The only positive is he has a small window each week to completely forget about everything and take his frustrations out on the world.

would be a powerful statement for him to come out and dominate.

Wish him the best.

Hasn't been damaging on the scoreboard yet this year, would love him to get out the blocks early with a few sausages this week....

Another poor performance. No excuses, he is a professional footballer.

As one of our best players, needs to get his stuff together and lift for the team.

Not really contributing much for a supposed top-line player.
I appreciate that his personal circumstances must be weighing on hid mind, but I would like to think that the two hours of game day would be enough for him to switch off and release his frustrations out on the contested footy and opposition players.
Just seems to retreat into his shell far too often. Lacks consistency.

Unrealistic. He's human.

Anyone had a major life event, and then try go to work and not think about it. They need to give him a week or two off. It ain't gonna hurt our chances.