Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Hasn’t been right since 2020. Still trying to do what he used to do but kicks around his body are not working any more and there are no more don’t argues. Realistically a shadow of his former self.

Reactions: 1 users
The odds were firmly against Martin turning on the finals magic after his long injury break. But we're talking Martin, so we had to take a chance on him, no matter how slim the chances were.

Reactions: 4 users
If he’s out of love with football, as has been reported and hinted at by our own players, then he’s out of love with our club.

Hence the persistent suggestion he’s looking for a change of city.

If that’s the case, I don’t see how he comes back to Punt Rd at the first training session for the next campaign.

He’s an untenable marquee player for us if his heart isn’t in it and should either retire or inform the club he’s up for a trade.

Reactions: 3 users
Dusty either turns up to play 100% or he needs to retire or be traded. serious questions need to be asked.
my guess is he wants his 2.5mil pay. we will know first half next year if he wants to play. I am not convinced his heart is in it.

Reactions: 2 users
If he’s out of love with football, as has been reported and hinted at by our own players, then he’s out of love with our club.

If that’s the case, I don’t see how he comes back to Punt Rd at the first training session for the next campaign.

He’s an untenable marquee player for us if his heart isn’t in it and should either retire or inform the club he’s up for a trade.

I get what you are saying. There has been plenty of murmurs that he wants to leave. At the end of the day it’s up to him.

Or maybe he is just simply unfit.

Club needs to sit down with Dustin and discuss where his heads at.

If he's not 100% in then either retirement or look at the possibility at another club.

As brilliant as he has been, you can't have someone take up 1.3 million in salary cap space who isn't fully committed.

The club is always bigger.

Reactions: 9 users
IF his lust for footy is gone

Don’t discount the effect on morale in having an idolised player just going through the motions. What do the kids make of that?

I reckon even in hindsight, and even though he was quiet, he still should have played.

Agree TS.

Had we not played Dusty and we lost by 2 points then everyone would be saying that we lost because we didn't play him.

No win situation.

Played half a game of good footy for the season against the second last team.
He owes us nothing after what he's done for us but yes the exit interview will be interesting..

Everything he is and done for us aside…
But if we can get a 1st rounder or 2 seconds, off load 600k per season off our books…
I’ll happily drive him to any club front door.

I think in Dusty's mind the next 2 years are pay day for taking less on his last contract. Dont think he gives a *smile* really.

"If"... "persistent suggestion"... "if."

Break it down and there's no substance to any of this. Give the names of the people who have "suggested" these things this year and we'll have a clear idea of how credible any of it is.

Dusty had a tough year coming back from his first major injury (kidney), the loss of his father and then later his first real soft tissue injury. It's really as simple as that.

Reactions: 6 users
We will all have differing views. I'm ok if he wants our of MElbourne... and that's not a go at Richmond, that's his presence to get out of the fishbowl. Would deliver Richmond a MEGA deal.

Happy either way (stays, goes north, reires)

Reactions: 1 user
All the speculation is boring. I trust the club will know and do what's best for the club.

Reactions: 3 users
Hasn’t been right since 2020. Still trying to do what he used to do but kicks around his body are not working any more and there are no more don’t argues. Realistically a shadow of his former self.
He's not the first star player to have a slump for legitimate reasons, being a personal crisis and flow-on effects in terms of injury, and he won't be the last to come back from it.

The fact Dusty has had a form slump is not surprising, its not novel, its not unusual, in fact history shows it is inevitable and I am positive that when he was starting out a mentor, probably more than one, would have taken him aside and said, Dusty, no matter how good you become, how much you achieve, there will be tough times when you'll find it hard to keep going.

Dimma put it very bluntly last night.

“He’s got two years of his contract to run so as far as I’m concerned all the speculation comes from the people sitting over that side of the table (media),” he said.

“It’s pretty simple to me – if you guys keep talking about it, it creates speculation,“ he said.

“The reality is I’m telling you that he’s got two more years of his contract. He’s not going anywhere.”

We get enough baseless speculation from the flogs in the media, we don't need it here as well.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users