Dustin Martin | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dustin Martin

Stats down across the board but notably tackling numbers at a career low & last in the club for one percenters.

Hate being critical of a champ who's given us everything but it's really noticeable at the ground how little work he's doing defensively.
Looks to be barely even trying to apply pressure. It's frustrating to watch tbh & doesn't set a good example for younger players.
Fine when you're one of the best offensive players in the comp you an get away with that but it's a bit much in his current form.
Maybe it's a coincidence but the one win we've had this year was against Sydney when Dusty didn't play. Our pressure overall was never better that day this season to date.

Dusty really needs to lift in this area.

100%. People dont realise that even one player not pulling their weight can have a huge impact on team defence. Last 2 years jacks man was running off him and creating overlapping chains every week. This year its Dusty. I love the bloke but if you cant be bothered chasing hard anymore then its time to hang up the boots

Reactions: 4 users
100%. People dont realise that even one player not pulling their weight can have a huge impact on team defence. Last 2 years jacks man was running off him and creating overlapping chains every week. This year its Dusty. I love the bloke but if you cant be bothered chasing hard anymore then its time to hang up the boots
I love the bloke but that's a fair point.

I love the guy.

3 Cups.
Triple Norm.
Chaz.
Done it all.

Tiger Royalty.

He sort of picks and chooses his moments these days.
When to chase or tackle.
It is clearly visible his lack of effort.

Ooze and Co. surely can see this.
How can they tell the young guys you have to chase, you have to put pressure on, when the main guy can't (or worse still won't) do it?
Not a good selling point to Dow, McAuliffe, Sonz etc.

Diminishes the Jumper.
Maybe they are just easing him to triple century.

Reactions: 1 user
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users
There was a discussion on Reddit about this yesterday - I think the conclusion from some lip readers was that after Dusty went past the player previous he says to Fritz 'f..k me, he looks about 12' and Fritz wasnt sure what he said so Dusty repeats it

• Haha
I believe that Richmond should sign Dusty up to another 3 year $1,000,000 deal with a clause in there that if a club comes knocking and Dusty is ok with that then we negotiate a deal that satisfies all parties.

e.g. Gold coast is interested and is willing to offer Dusty 1.2 million a year for 3 years and will offer their first round this year and a quality player if we pay $300,000 thousand a year on his contract for 3 years.

GWS is willing to give us Callahan in exchange for Dusty for a 3 year 1.2 million deal and we pay $400,000 a year for 2 years.

The team wanting Dusty gets a bit of salary cap relief as not many teams at the pointy end of the ladder can afford 1.2 Million.

And for an outrageous deal GWS offers Callahan and their first and 2nd rounder for Dusty and we pay $600,000 a year for 2 years and $300,00 for the 3rd year.

Thoughts?

I believe that Richmond should sign Dusty up to another 3 year $1,000,000 deal with a clause in there that if a club comes knocking and Dusty is ok with that then we negotiate a deal that satisfies all parties.

e.g. Gold coast is interested and is willing to offer Dusty 1.2 million a year for 3 years and will offer their first round this year and a quality player if we pay $300,000 thousand a year on his contract for 3 years.

GWS is willing to give us Callahan in exchange for Dusty for a 3 year 1.2 million deal and we pay $400,000 a year for 2 years.

The team wanting Dusty gets a bit of salary cap relief as not many teams at the pointy end of the ladder can afford 1.2 Million.

And for an outrageous deal GWS offers Callahan and their first and 2nd rounder for Dusty and we pay $600,000 a year for 2 years and $300,00 for the 3rd year.

Thoughts?

TBH I'm not sure Dusty offers great value in a trade any more. Certainly not to get someone like Callaghan.

Reactions: 2 users
Dusty still has plenty to offer.

Would prefer to keep him on a two year contract, which allows him to take on a coaching role at any point, but can’t ignore the signs referred to above.
He is looking more than a little disinterested, which may have to do with the absence of old team mates and the teams drop off in form over the last two seasons, or just be a result of his own wish for a change of scenery.

Can see him seeking a move to GC. If that is to happen can see Brendon and Dimma already working at a deal that will see us compensated with a first rounder.
Corn will love it.🥰

Dusty still has plenty to offer.

Would prefer to keep him on a two year contract, which allows him to take on a coaching role at any point, but can’t ignore the signs referred to above.
He is looking more than a little disinterested, which may have to do with the absence of old team mates and the teams drop off in form over the last two seasons, or just be a result of his own wish for a change of scenery.

Can see him seeking a move to GC. If that is to happen can see Brendon and Dimma already working at a deal that will see us compensated with a first rounder.
Corn will love it.🥰

Forget Cornes, that would give Sam NoClure a chubbie.

I love the guy.

3 Cups.
Triple Norm.
Chaz.
Done it all.

Tiger Royalty.

He sort of picks and chooses his moments these days.
When to chase or tackle.
It is clearly visible his lack of effort.

Ooze and Co. surely can see this.
How can they tell the young guys you have to chase, you have to put pressure on, when the main guy can't (or worse still won't) do it?
Not a good selling point to Dow, McAuliffe, Sonz etc.

Diminishes the Jumper.
Maybe they are just easing him to triple century.
Its not clearly visible to me. I don't think he's fully fit, and I don't really see a problem with that, pretty normal for veteran superstars to be carrying a niggle, no grassy knoll, just footy. But even if he's not, he's always picked and chosen his moments to defend, and those moments usually result in him attacking, if you catch my drift.

You may think he's past his best, but to stretch that to Diminishing the Jumper? Fair dinkum.

Reactions: 5 users
Too many people have already written him off. If we can get a few players back and start winning games, Dusty will be front and centre, he will show his worth.

Reactions: 4 users