Dynasty or Rebuild ? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Dynasty or Rebuild ?

Maneevo

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 13, 2011
How may future picks can we trade? It’s possible next years draft will be full of kids who haven’t played for two years. Trade out of next years draft for the players we need now.

Gazmatron

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 23, 2013
Would this thread have been started if we beat the Lions last Friday?
Maybe not but the potential list problems have been there and I assume Hartley et al have plans for rectifying it

Reactions: 1 users

DjJazzyPete

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 8, 2014
Nata , Botswana
Think we need to be aware of replacing older and fading players at the same time looking at 2021 a year where our premiership window is still open... However we don't want to be where Hawthorn is now in 2022 /23 .. Not an easy balancing trick .. see a few players going .. Choi , Higgins , Ararts etc ?? maybe trade a few like Broad who is the outer ( but good player ) .. Hope we keep Markov as we need speed going forward .. We need a bit of wisdom to get that balance right

Attachments

• rebild.jpg
    rebild.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 8

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
Biggest list management issue for me is a Riewoldt replacement. Gun key forwards don't grow on trees, and we have two currently. Provided we can find one to follow Riewoldt, I see no reason why we can't continue to contend in the medium term.

Reactions: 4 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Would this thread have been started if we beat the Lions last Friday?
Yes Baloo, main reason it was a boring Sunday up here in the North East ;) I’ve been thinking for a while about how tough it’s going to be for the club with the shortening of lists , salary cap reductions and so on . I just used a few thoughts others have mentioned to get a few posters opinions . Im 100% go hard while the windows open , in saying that I think the clubs done a great job at adding talented youth while we are winning flags . The thread title is just a *smile* take of the way Cornes looks for attention.

Big list decisions for me are to get rid of those who aren’t up to it now even if we don’t have any back up in the area , get em out and get others in, I.e Miller, Garthwaite, Chol if they don’t think there up to it, move em on even though we need key talls

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Biggest list management issue for me is a Riewoldt replacement. Gun key forwards don't grow on trees, and we have two currently. Provided we can find one to follow Riewoldt, I see no reason why we can't continue to contend in the medium term.
With a few exceptions, the gun key forwards nearly all come from the first round of the draft and most of those (but not all) come from the top 10 picks. Lynch bought us some time but we’ll either need to get a top 10 pick or trade for one. Riewoldt’s replacement will definitely be the hardest position to fill.

What’s happening down in Tassie right now? We do alright from key forwards down there.

Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
We have done very well in the draft because of a first rate recruitment team and we should be looking to give them some more picks to work with.
Both Adelaide and North have some great picks in the first round and have already let 11 or 12 go. We have some excellent players, not in our top 18, who would attract interest.
Unusual times deliver great opportunities.
I also like McCartin.

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
The key here is having 1 that is ready to go by the time Jack retires. Easier said than done

• Sad

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
We have done very well in the draft because of a first rate recruitment team and we should be looking to give them some more picks to work with.
Both Adelaide and North have some great picks in the first round and have already let 11 or 12 go. We have some excellent players, not in our top 18, who would attract interest.
Unusual times deliver great opportunities.
I also like McCartin.
McCartin has been given the green light by the doc to play, he's hungry. Is worth the punt when considering the risk (clog up a list spot for 1 year due to ongoing concussion related issues) vs reward (long term Jack replacement). As everyone has said so far, viable KPF's don't grow on trees & Lynchy will need support from if not next year the following year onwards. A junior out of the draft won't do that until 4-5 years minimum down the track

Reactions: 2 users

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
McCartin has been given the green light by the doc to play, he's hungry. Is worth the punt when considering the risk (clog up a list spot for 1 year due to ongoing concussion related issues) vs reward (long term Jack replacement). As everyone has said so far, viable KPF's don't grow on trees & Lynchy will need support from if not next year the following year onwards. A junior out of the draft won't do that until 4-5 years minimum down the track
Worth a punt.
Rookie list depending on how many are going to be allowed on lists.

Still waiting on the AFL.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I know the feeling, my daughter was 23 when we won the flag in 2017.

DS

My son was 7 at the 2017 GF
Then my son was 9 at the 2019 GF.
That's not bad.
I was too young to remember 1973 & 1974.
I defiantly remember 1982 till 2017.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
My son was 7 at the 2017 GF
Then my son was 9 at the 2019 GF.
That's not bad.
I was too young to remember 1973 & 1974.
I defiantly remember 1982 till 2017.

I was too young to remember 67 and 69. At the end of 1973 we moved to Melbourne so I remember double premierships in 1973 (Subiaco for the first time in 49 years, and Richmond for the first time in . . . 4 years :D ).

Certainly remember 1974, I listened on the radio and watched the replay that night. Actually, I watched the replay today. 1980 is next, easy game to watch and the only time I have been at the Grand Final and we won.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Dynasty or rebuild. Our recruiters have been excellent and have been quietly rebuilding our list while we have been winning premiership, to the extent that there is now not a player on our list who we should not be sorry to lose. The development coaching has never been better with players advancing and getting rewarded, with more skill and physical maturity than has often been the case in the past.
Having said that and having focused on mid size players in last years draft, I think we will be looking for tall mobile KPP's this year. Reid, Chapman and Cox look likely types and I hope we get one.
There are some teams in a terrible mess, who have already sacked considerable numbers. This may lead to our trading several still very good players to such a club, to move our selections up the draft.
We mustn't stand still.
Call it rebuild on the run.

Reactions: 4 users