DYNASTY!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DYNASTY!!!

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Has anyone mentioned the Carlton 3/4 dynasty of 79-81-82? If not I understand why. Matching that will be some achievement.

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
The final 8 system itself is okay. The problem is the bye between the final round and the finals. Without referring to stats my observation would be that the top 4 teams that win week 1 then struggle in the first half of the PF after 2 out of 3 weeks as a bye
I've posted about this numerous times. The stats are damning.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Has anyone mentioned the Carlton 3/4 dynasty of 79-81-82? If not I understand why. Matching that will be some achievement.

Agreed. But we don’t want to give that club and credit.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005

That's interesting Tora because I still contend our 79 -82 squad was as good as I had seen at the time and probably since until our 2019 cohort. We were cruelled with two very ordinary coaches in Jewell and then Bourke. We made two GFs but should have made 3 or 4 and won most.

Cloke (in prime) Roach Taylor key forward.

Jess Keane Strachnie back

Bartlett!!

Francis Bourke (early years)

Lee rucking

Mids included Weightman, Raines, Wiley, Rowlings, Wood, Welsh and then Maurice.

Our peripheral players included guns like Malthouse Landy Tempany Monteath (capt) Mount ( Norm Smith) Smith and reliable plod Emmett Dunne.

They actually missed finals in 79 and 81 and Jewell rightly got flicked. A bit of a waste of talent unfortunately.

• Sad

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Yes Lamby should never ever have lost 82 was totally pissed away and as we know destroyed the club. Very very different beast now, incredible what has been built, and we will rightfully start unbackable faves to go 3/4.

Reactions: 2 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
That's interesting Tora because I still contend our 79 -82 squad was as good as I had seen at the time and probably since until our 2019 cohort. We were cruelled with two very ordinary coaches in Jewell and then Bourke. We made two GFs but should have made 3 or 4 and won most.

Cloke (in prime) Roach Taylor key forward.

Jess Keane Strachnie back

Bartlett!!

Francis Bourke (early years)

Lee rucking

Mids included Weightman, Raines, Wiley, Rowlings, Wood, Welsh and then Maurice.

Our peripheral players included guns like Malthouse Landy Tempany Monteath (capt) Mount ( Norm Smith) Smith and reliable plod Emmett Dunne.

They actually missed finals in 79 and 81 and Jewell rightly got flicked. A bit of a waste of talent unfortunately.
‘79 was his first year and he had to clean up after Barry Richardson. He still maintains that he shouldn’t have been flicked after 1 down year in ‘81, when the same side made it into the GF the following year. May have won it with him at the wheel.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
‘79 was his first year and he had to clean up after Barry Richardson. He still maintains that he shouldn’t have been flicked after 1 down year in ‘81, when the same side made it into the GF the following year. May have won it with him at the wheel.
There is definitely 1 more premiership in this current group of players.

• Love

Birdman19

Plodder
Apr 16, 2009
Yes Lamby should never ever have lost 82 was totally pissed away and as we know destroyed the club. Very very different beast now, incredible what has been built, and we will rightfully start unbackable faves to go 3/4.
I blame Helen D'amico. We lost our momentum, focus and blew our lead after that. However, it was one of by best teenage memories of the day :)). I was so conflicted....still am.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
There is definitely 1 more premiership in this current group of players.

This is what I believe. There’s got to be at least 1 more to come.
Hopefully 2
But I would like 3
Certainly wouldn’t say no to 4
5 would be *smile* great!
Imagine 6 more?
Lucky 7?

• Haha

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Agreed. Possibly 2 - but that would be incredibly tough to achieve.

But that is the thing.

We thought the first one was impossible. Then, after last year, we were happy with one. Now there’s two.

Whose to say it ends there?

Nine would be good. Then we can make the ninth jokes. As in, “WOW, that’s our ninth Premiership in 12 years. I never thought we’d ever have anything to do with the number 9 again. Did you think, we’d be talking about ninth again, as in that’s our ninth flag? By the way, [insert name of club here] supporter, when was the last time your club won 9 flags?”

That will be sweet!

• Haha

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Looking at our list and the fab 4 getting older, i often look at who may be coming up to replace them.

The reality is that we are by far the biggest club in the land, with a connection the others can fake, but they are nowhere near replicating. Remember Reece Conca going down, and the way the boys went to him?

Other clubs started to mimic our mateship ,but with us it's real and stems from having a coach who genuinely loves and respects the playing group. FIGJAM must be rubbed raw from dry humping his list, but deep down they all know he's faking it. Short of taking an acting lesson from Meg Ryan ,i'm not sure what his next move is.

I'm not sure what Chris Scott is doing to prove his love to his group, but seeing him in the coaches box, arms spread out, mouth wide open, one can only guess!

Watching reserves games, it seems like just about evey senior player is turning out to support the younger guys. you also read of the turn out at birthdays and other parties for individuals where basically the whole group is together whereas at other clubs you may have 6 or 8 of the playing group attend.

Even when Josh Jenkins went down with what looked like a serious knee, most of our guys were going up to him to wish him well. To a man, we just seem to be a class above.

I remember reading a story about Jack and Tross and how they loathed each other right up and into the 2016 season (most of their career really). Then suddenly the club culture makes a massive u-turn where players are basically asked to reveal their underbelly, and these two suddenly "get" each other and become the closest of friends, to the point where i think it was Jack who said one of his greatest regrets now is the lost years here he could have had that mateship with Tross.

In reality, the fab 4 thing is seriously blurred.

We have some great young talent coming up like Ross and Coller-Dawkins, Coleman-Jones, Bolton, Higgo, Stack, Soldo, etc, but the reality is that as we lose stars and free salary cap space, we are THE destination club.

Tom Lynch could have gone to Collingwood or Hawthorn for way more coin than he has with the Tigers, but he chose us. No doubt , Caddy and Prestia were in his ear about our environment.

I hated the Free Agency rule when it came in, but now i realise it may be the thing that makes us an unstoppable force for years to come. That will become a focus of the AFL as we pool talent, but once you give via the AFL Players Association, it's going to be very hard to take anything back.

Ah it's a great time to be a Tiger Supporter!

Reactions: 18 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
2 Premierships in 3 years in an 18 team competition is as good as we've ever done as a football club.
So true. VFL flags in a 12 team (or less depending on the era) state league competition don't compare that well with premierships in an 18 team national and professional competition with the draft to even recruiting up, interstate travel and grounds with really variable conditions (like us playing trade away games in Darwin, Cairns and wherever in prior AFL years).
AFL flags a much tougher challenge and so must be valued a great deal higher. Our first in 2017.

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
I always hate this its our's to lose crap.
Reality of 2019 was if we didn't play top footy we would have lost any of our finals games. Well except the GF, but I think GWS collectively freaked out a bit and burned themselves up on their own adrenaline.
We slow down or lose some gloss and we are cactus. Its hard to win but you would expect us to be in the mix and as a supporter I will take that.

Reactions: 1 user

Brettstigers

Queen La Camilla
Mar 21, 2005
Sydney
So when do we lose our in the mix status. When we lose our stars.
We can cover Cotch, we managed to cover Rance (just) and despite his Mr September GF skills I think we can cover Houli.

Astbury, Riewoldt, Martin, Edwards, Lambert, Lynch, Grimes and Prestia. How many of these guys do we have to lose before the window closes?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
So when do we lose our in the mix status. When we lose our stars.
We can cover Cotch, we managed to cover Rance (just) and despite his Mr September GF skills I think we can cover Houli.

Astbury, Riewoldt, Martin, Edwards, Lambert, Lynch, Grimes and Prestia. How many of these guys do we have to lose before the window closes?

You were correct above when you said you hated this "it's ours to lose" crap. Premierships are bloody hard to win and they are never any team's to lose.

We are doing well with our younger footballers, there are very good players developing in the VFL.

But, you list 8 excellent players who will get older and retire. This is extraordinarily difficult to replace. These great players, and a few more, are the reason we are contending for flags. Our window closes when we can't replace those who are leaving. I don't think any team can stay at the top for years on end. Look at Hawthorn, they are one of the best run teams but they need a few more years to rebuild because they had a dynasty, players retired or moved on or just became less effective, and now they need to replenish their playing stocks to contend again.

The true tests are how many we can win while "in the window", and how quickly we can recover when the window closes because those who got us there are no longer playing for us. Hawthorn have been great at this, they bounce back quickly and this is why they have won flags in every decade since the 1960s. It is why when I was born they had one flag, we had 5, we went further ahead by the mid 70s but they are now ahead of us. Damned difficult to pull off.

Let's turn the current period into a dynasty, and start planning for the future now and see if we can bounce back quickly when the current stars retire. Richmond is now a well run club, this should be possible if we continue to be a well run club.

DS

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I blame Helen D'amico. We lost our momentum, focus and blew our lead after that. However, it was one of by best teenage memories of the day :)). I was so conflicted....still am.

For the zillionth time on this forum ... we had already blown it.
We led by 11 points at half time. Carlton had just hit the front when she came on.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
For the zillionth time on this forum ... we had already blown it.
We led by 11 points at half time. Carlton had just hit the front when she came on.
I’m not sure how Carlton just hitting the front equals us already blown it.