DYNASTY!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DYNASTY!!!

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Yep we were two half backs down before the game and I think it was Bruce's first game after a long injury break. Top player Bruce.

We actually dominated in the third but our inside 50s were abysmal. Raines one of the culprits.
Yep, Bruce Tempany was a massively underrated player who had a career crueled by injury.

Reactions: 1 user

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
Easy, Bruce Monteah was a reserve for the GF and as I recall he came on during the last quarter.

He left Richmond that year returning to South Fremantle.

He was if I recall correctly, somewhat out of form in 1980 and there may have been some debate he would not be selected for the Grand Final.

Others with a closer understanding may correct me.
Monteath was one of my favorite players. Ran low to the ground, was hard ,and had a penetrating kick. He actually played in a forward pocket all year because of an ankle injury. He was typically our starting ruck rover.

He had a very good season considering he was on one leg all year.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
We surprised Carlton in the second semi with our physicality (was a record number of 15 metre penalties given away to slow them down from memory). We may have shown our hand too early. Their smalls were brilliant (as were ours) but the knocks on us were we were slow, particularly in the backline...Martello, Strachan and Dunne couldn't run out of sight on a dark night.

Nonetheless we were only a goal down well into the last qtr before a terrible Graeme Landy error across half back gifted them a goal and the momentum.

One of the worst days of my life.

• Sad

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
In 1990 in the 'Save Our Skins' campaign i bought a 10 year membership, 2 signed "Save The Tigers" Certificates one from Flea & Neville Crowe and one from Royce Hart & Neville and a jar of Punt Road Oval dirt, (or was it MCG dirt)o_O, a bit pathetic ain't it?

Anyway good to be able to say, "I was there when we were DOWN"

Reactions: 7 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
In 1990 in the 'Save Our Skins' campaign i bought a 10 year membership, 2 signed "Save The Tigers" Certificates one from Flea & Neville Crowe and one from Royce Hart & Neville and a jar of Punt Road Oval dirt, (or was it MCG dirt)o_O, a bit pathetic ain't it?

Good to be able to say, "I was there when we were DOWN"

I was 16 at the time and I remember going to a game during the Save our skins armed with about $75 which was all the savings I had as a reasonably young guy, pretty easy to give (was a lot for me back then) that means so much... haven't thought about that in ages until your post.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
BT would’ve made no difference. They beat us because they were to fast and brought in a running side.
Mark McClure confirmed this a couple years ago. They were beaten in first weeks final by us and decided if they were going to play us again they would try to play with more smalls and selected players on the back of their running ability.
Bloody hell! Does that mean we've finally learned how to copy Carlscum's game plan after all these years?

• Wow

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012

Anyway good to be able to say, "I was there when we were DOWN"

I bought some dirt also, Caesar
The rally at the G that day was something to be behold from a range of perspectives.

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Don't get me started Frick. We lost Preston (who was a journeyman but flying at half back) due to injury in the SF. Then Bourke takes out Malthouse (two defenders down) We get back Tempany who is probably BOG to half time and then Mcconville breaks his arm. We have a class CHB and FF in Jess and Taylor. Bourke brings in Sartori. Taylor misses and Jess play forward. Why oh why oh why!!

I was there that day. Was expecting to be singing the song at the end of the grand final.
It was a gut-wrenching experience seeing the Tigers go down that day.

• Sad

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
By the way, i am already a believer that Richmond can go B2B or maybe even B3B in 2020 and 2021
But I ain't getting ahead of myself or anything.

• Haha

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The rally at the G that day was something to be behold from a range of perspectives.
First Tigers event I took my daughter too. Then had the joy of copping a leaky radiator hose while trying to shuffle out of the car park. Had to walk back half a lap of the G with a little tacker in tow n scrounge a four litre tomato sauce bottle off the caterers then wash out the dregs so I could then walk all the way back n top up so I could get home. Not the best afternoon I can recall, but worth all the trouble eventually.

Reactions: 2 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I always find reminiscences of 1972 and 1982 on this forum interesting.
One thing Richmond has always done well in the "modern era" is Grand Finals. We are now 7-2 and in both of the two we were favourites.
Over the long term history, obviously you can expect no better than 50-50, indeed that's what we are - sitting on 12-12.
There are a few outrageous exceptions, Collingwood 15-27, Hawthorn 13-6 (quite amazing when you consider they lost three from 1984-1987) and Melbourne 12-5, not to mention the Swans on 5-12 and St Kilda on 1-6.
Maybe we dodged Grand Final losses in 1971, 1975 and 2018 by messing up a Prelim, but on the whole, we should be prepared for the odd Grand Final loss in the coming years, which is going to hurt.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I always find reminiscences of 1972 and 1982 on this forum interesting.
One thing Richmond has always done well in the "modern era" is Grand Finals. We are now 7-2 and in both of the two we were favourites.
Over the long term history, obviously you can expect no better than 50-50, indeed that's what we are - sitting on 12-12.
There are a few outrageous exceptions, Collingwood 15-27, Hawthorn 13-6 (quite amazing when you consider they lost three from 1984-1987) and Melbourne 12-5, not to mention the Swans on 5-12 and St Kilda on 1-6.
Maybe we dodged Grand Final losses in 1971, 1975 and 2018 by messing up a Prelim, but on the whole, we should be prepared for the odd Grand Final loss in the coming years, which is going to hurt.
Heresy !!! :)

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I reckon you blokes who bought punt road dirt should pot it up and stick some sunflowers seeds in

If youre really into ritual and ceremony, someone would surely have souvenir some of the chook *smile* dumped outside Punt Road in '01.

Give them a little feed and savour the bloom.

from a withered tree, a blossom.

Im pretty sure a bhuddist monastery watched every Richmond game through the 80's, 90,s and 00's

and came up with glib fridge magnets to sell to tourists.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Other clubs started to mimic our mateship ,but with us it's real and stems from having a coach who genuinely loves and respects the playing group. FIGJAM must be rubbed raw from dry humping his list, but deep down they all know he's faking it.

Its not deep down any more, his statements after their finals loss showed he's faking it.

Don’t Argue

Tiger Superstar
Jun 22, 2019
I reckon you blokes who bought punt road dirt should pot it up and stick some sunflowers seeds in

If youre really into ritual and ceremony, someone would surely have souvenir some of the chook **** dumped outside Punt Road in '01.

Give them a little feed and savour the bloom.

from a withered tree, a blossom.

Im pretty sure a bhuddist monastery watched every Richmond game through the 80's, 90,s and 00's

and came up with glib fridge magnets to sell to tourists.

For those who missed out on the chicken poo, don’t dispair.
There’s plenty of fertiliser available on this site. Some reputations have blossomed magnificently due to the high quality *smile* they’ve wallowed in.