DYNASTY!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

DYNASTY!!!

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
You were correct above when you said you hated this "it's ours to lose" crap. Premierships are bloody hard to win and they are never any team's to lose.

We are doing well with our younger footballers, there are very good players developing in the VFL.

But, you list 8 excellent players who will get older and retire. This is extraordinarily difficult to replace. These great players, and a few more, are the reason we are contending for flags. Our window closes when we can't replace those who are leaving. I don't think any team can stay at the top for years on end. Look at Hawthorn, they are one of the best run teams but they need a few more years to rebuild because they had a dynasty, players retired or moved on or just became less effective, and now they need to replenish their playing stocks to contend again.

The true tests are how many we can win while "in the window", and how quickly we can recover when the window closes because those who got us there are no longer playing for us. Hawthorn have been great at this, they bounce back quickly and this is why they have won flags in every decade since the 1960s. It is why when I was born they had one flag, we had 5, we went further ahead by the mid 70s but they are now ahead of us. Damned difficult to pull off.

Let's turn the current period into a dynasty, and start planning for the future now and see if we can bounce back quickly when the current stars retire. Richmond is now a well run club, this should be possible if we continue to be a well run club.

DS

I always said I would trade one premiership for another 37 years in the wilderness, now in the last 3 years we have been the dominant team and have 2 premierships and people are worried about when it all comes to end :rolleyes: enjoy the moment people, this is a Golden 'Era' of which there are few.

Reactions: 9 users

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
IMO we blew it when we didn't select BT who was every bit as dominant a FF as Malcolm Blight that year. Missed a stack of games with a medial injury, and having just returned to the side, was showing good form.

Of couse with every game played on a Saturday back then, the GF was the first wet Saturday all year so we 'blinked' with the number of talls we had in the side.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
IMO we blew it when we didn't select BT who was every bit as dominant a FF as Malcolm Blight that year. Missed a stack of games with a medial injury, and having just returned to the side, was showing good form.

Of couse with every game played on a Saturday back then, the GF was the first wet Saturday all year so we 'blinked' with the number of talls we had in the side.
Plus they played Roach for too long in the ruck in 1982 & Lee for too long as a forward. Nevertheless it was a flag that got away & then started the downward spiral. Never again must we let stupidity do that to our club.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005

Don't get me started Frick. We lost Preston (who was a journeyman but flying at half back) due to injury in the SF. Then Bourke takes out Malthouse (two defenders down) We get back Tempany who is probably BOG to half time and then Mcconville breaks his arm. We have a class CHB and FF in Jess and Taylor. Bourke brings in Sartori. Taylor misses and Jess play forward. Why oh why oh why!!

Reactions: 2 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I’m not sure how Carlton just hitting the front equals us already blown it.

My writing "blown it" was not a reference to blowing the game in general.

Birdman19 wrote "I blame Helen D'amico. We lost our momentum, focus and blew our lead after that."

I was merely pointing out that we had already blown our lead before she came on.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I always said I would trade one premiership for another 37 years in the wilderness, now in the last 3 years we have been the dominant team and have 2 premierships and people are worried about when it all comes to end :rolleyes: enjoy the moment people, this is a Golden 'Era' of which there are few.

Enjoying it very much at the moment and, yes, we should soak it up and not worry so much about when it all ends.

But what we have now is qualitatively different to 1980 and 1982. We have a stronger club but even more importantly, we have a culture which is truly impressive. We were changing coaches every couple of years even while we won in 1980 and made the 1982 GF. It is important to keep the attitude of building the club and the culture, this is important in itself and contributes so much to success on the field.

DS

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

BT would’ve made no difference. They beat us because they were to fast and brought in a running side.
Mark McClure confirmed this a couple years ago. They were beaten in first weeks final by us and decided if they were going to play us again they would try to play with more smalls and selected players on the back of their running ability.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Don't get me started Frick. We lost Preston (who was a journeyman but flying at half back) due to injury in the SF. Then Bourke takes out Malthouse (two defenders down) We get back Tempany who is probably BOG to half time and then Mcconville breaks his arm. We have a class CHB and FF in Jess and Taylor. Bourke brings in Sartori. Taylor misses and Jess play forward. Why oh why oh why!!
Losing Tempany during the game was massive

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
  • Haha

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Enjoying it very much at the moment and, yes, we should soak it up and not worry so much about when it all ends.

But what we have now is qualitatively different to 1980 and 1982. We have a stronger club but even more importantly, we have a culture which is truly impressive. We were changing coaches every couple of years even while we won in 1980 and made the 1982 GF. It is important to keep the attitude of building the club and the culture, this is important in itself and contributes so much to success on the field.

DS
Not only changing coaches, we were changing captains every year , why was that ? to satisfy ego's ? there were a few there at the time

Certainly not the team first ethos we have now
  • Roger 68-71
  • Royce 72-75
  • St Francis 76-77
  • Sheedy 78
  • KB 79
  • Bruce 80
  • Woody 81
  • Cloke 82
  • Bazza 83-84
  • The General 85-87

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Not only changing coaches, we were changing captains every year , why was that ? to satisfy ego's ? there were a few there at the time

• Roger 68-71
  • Royce 72-75
  • St Francis 76-77
  • Sheedy 78
  • KB 79
  • Bruce 80
  • Woody 81
  • Cloke 82
  • Bazza 83-84
  • The General 85-87

That green bit is extraordinary. What the hell was going on?

Who replaces a premiership captain the following year?

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
That green bit is extraordinary. What the hell was going on?

Who replaces a premiership captain the following year?

Easy, Bruce Monteah was a reserve for the GF and as I recall he came on during the last quarter.

He left Richmond that year returning to South Fremantle.

He was if I recall correctly, somewhat out of form in 1980 and there may have been some debate he would not be selected for the Grand Final.

Others with a closer understanding may correct me.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Easy, Bruce Monteah was a reserve for the GF and as I recall he came on during the last quarter.

He left Richmond that year returning to South Fremantle.

He was if I recall correctly, somewhat out of form in 1980 and there may have been some debate he would not be selected for the Grand Final.

Others with a closer understanding may correct me.

answered one question but raises another.

Why appoint an out of form, transient bloke as Captain in the first place?

Taz's data is completely new to me. I was only 8 at the time, but I think I can vaguely remember wondering why they made Monteath Captain?

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
answered one question but raises another.

Why appoint an out of form, transient bloke as Captain in the first place?

Taz's data is completely new to me. I was only 8 at the time, but I think I can vaguely remember wondering why they made Monteath Captain?

My recollection (and it's not always right) is that Monteath was injured and almost retired before the end of the season - but then hung on (and/or was talked into hanging on) and was subsequently recalled.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
My writing "blown it" was not a reference to blowing the game in general.

Birdman19 wrote "I blame Helen D'amico. We lost our momentum, focus and blew our lead after that."

I was merely pointing out that we had already blown our lead before she came on.
Yep. They had all the momentum, if it was going to benefit anyone it would have been us. That's why Johnson got snakey and tried to manhandle her off the ground.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
That's interesting Tora because I still contend our 79 -82 squad was as good as I had seen at the time and probably since until our 2019 cohort. We were cruelled with two very ordinary coaches in Jewell and then Bourke. We made two GFs but should have made 3 or 4 and won most.

Cloke (in prime) Roach Taylor key forward.

Jess Keane Strachnie back

Bartlett!!

Francis Bourke (early years)

Lee rucking

Mids included Weightman, Raines, Wiley, Rowlings, Wood, Welsh and then Maurice.

Our peripheral players included guns like Malthouse Landy Tempany Monteath (capt) Mount ( Norm Smith) Smith and reliable plod Emmett Dunne.

They actually missed finals in 79 and 81 and Jewell rightly got flicked. A bit of a waste of talent unfortunately.
So neither of our last 2 premiership coaches can coach? You might be a bit of an anti-coachite. :cool:

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

• Roger 68-71
  • Royce 72-75
  • St Francis 76-77
  • Sheedy 78
  • KB 79
  • Bruce 80
  • Woody 81
  • Cloke 82
  • Bazza 83-84
  • The General 85-87

Never knew this. Can not fathom it.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
My recollection (and it's not always right) is that Monteath was injured and almost retired before the end of the season - but then hung on (and/or was talked into hanging on) and was subsequently recalled.
He actually had a stellar 1980 and kicked over 40 goals until he got injured late in the year and his form dropped off alarmingly. He had one game in 1980 against melbourne where he had 30 odd possessions and kicked 8 goals
Didn't play another game for us after the 1980 grand final
1978 was his best year when he kicked 55 goals and averaged close to 20 possessions a game as half forward pinch hitting in the middle.

Reactions: 1 users

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Losing Tempany during the game was massive

Yep we were two half backs down before the game and I think it was Bruce's first game after a long injury break. Top player Bruce.

We actually dominated in the third but our inside 50s were abysmal. Raines one of the culprits.