Essendon = Entitlement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Essendon = Entitlement

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Staff from other clubs expressed shock at players (and coaches) being injected to the stomach, as well as the sheer number of injections. If you know of another club with an injection regimen that was remotely comparable and a cornerstone of weekly preparation and recovery, spill the beans. If you know of another AFL club that came to the attention of the Australian Crime Commission's Project Aperio, spill the beans.

video-undefined-2A05EC8100000578-499_638x360.jpg

Pretty sure Melbourne and Gold Coast were investigated.
if Melb or the Suns were being given PEDs, whoever was in charge clearly didnt know what they were doing.

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
As for your murder analogy, what has happened here is one murderer has been sentenced but there are a dozen other bodies and the authorities have decided not to investigate them to determine whether they have been murdered or not, despite a reasonable pile of evidence that would suggest they were.

Does that mean the one murderer is hard done by? That's been your stance all along. Essendon were hard done by. No, they were in no way hard done by. They got off lightly if you ask me. They in no way were hard done by, none at all.

I'll say it again. If the "industry" feels Essendon were hard done by then the "industry" needs a massive re-alignment of it's thinking.

Reactions: 3 users

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
Richmond won three premierships on the back of mental strength.
They won on the back of having their best players fit at the right time of the year.
Its all well to try supplements but they don't give you a permanent advantage, because players bodies break down under the strain.
Building a better mind gives huge improvements. It takes time and effort. Huge self belief,

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I know you and I have discussed this before, TBR, but there are some things I will never be able to go past when assessing the Essendon situation.

First, they had Dank and, at that time, no other club did. Dank's reputation preceded him. He was dodgy and everyone knew it. Whatever may have been going on at other clubs, there has never been any suggestion it involved the sort of systematic doping regimen overseen by Dank at Essendon. He is now effectively blackballed by Australian sport.

Second, no other team, save for perhaps Geelong when Dank was there, improved with such incredible speed as Essendon during the injections saga. Their subsequent soft tissue injury epidemic was also unprecedented. When lined up with the sharp (pun intended) practices later revealed, it didn't pass the sniff test.

Third, the Essendon players actually had their day—or several, to be truthful—in court and were found guilty. Upon appeal, the original CAS decision was upheld. We need to be very careful to confer guilt—or even suspicion—upon others who have not had that privilege.

Fourth, unlike Ryder, Hunter and others at the Bombers, no player from any other club has publicly aired concerns over whatever supplements they may have consumed as part of any club program. I doubt that is a coincidence.

Finally, I've never understood why any of the ACC, ASADA or WADA would risk their reputation on half-baked or incomplete investigations. This surely throws serious doubt over any claims that other programs came close to the sort of systematic cheating and subterfuge engaged in by Essendon.

Oh, and, of course, let's not forget the main grounds for suspicion ... Essendon's big fat entitlement complex!

Reactions: 2 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Fourth, unlike Ryder, Hunter and others at the Bombers, no player from any other club has publicly aired concerns over whatever supplements they may have consumed as part of any club program. I doubt that is a coincidence.
Good point. You'd reckon if sacked/delisted players like Dan Connors had been doped, they would blow the whistle quick smart. I never got the impression players at other clubs were sympathetic.

I generally appreciate TBR's different perspective on things, but defending Essendon by making vague accusations against other clubs isn't very convincing. They aren't all tarred with the same brush. Even Carlton ran in the other direction.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm quite prepared to concede many dodgy things happened at many clubs at that time, whether by individuals or with the tacit approval of senior people in those clubs. Who knows, even at Richmond too.

Essendon took things a step further in terms of organisation and coverup, so even the AFL knew it had to act to avoid a major scandal, which we ended up with anyway due to Essendon pig-headedness. So yeah, other dodgy things happened for sure. Essendon got caught. Other clubs took the hint and made sure they cleaned up whatever else was going on.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
TBR, are you aware of another club that implemented a systematic institutionalised clandestine injection program performed on all players? Or even heard rumours that any other club engaged in what Essendon engaged in?

Still trying to get my head around how you can call Essendon hard done by or treated unfairly. You're starting to sound like Robbo.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Essendon held meetings with their players advising them to lie to drug testing officials if they were asked certain questions. Now I can understand young players thinking this was odd, but going along with it, because they were put under a fair bit of pressure to do it, but why the likes of Jobe Watson and Dustin Fletcher didn’t ask questions about why do they suddenly start to lie if they’re not doing anything wrong?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
TBR, are you aware of another club that implemented a systematic institutionalised clandestine injection program performed on all players? Or even heard rumours that any other club engaged in what Essendon engaged in?
I'm not sure how else to put it but I'll try one more time.

I think Essendon was made to take the fall on behalf of the rest of the competition because the scope of what they did was big and the authorities wanted to get Dank (and rightly so).

Despite knowing that there was plenty of dodgy stuff (not always intentionally) going on at every other club in the competition the authorities turned a blind eye and gave them a chance to clean up, rather than holding them to the same standard of prosecution they applied to Essendon.

I think had the same standard applied to Essendon applied across the competition we would have seen massive amounts of suspensions of players, coaches and officials and fines for clubs, and many resignations of AFL and club officials.

I suspect we would have seen the entire competition called into question in terms of removing the premiership and other awards from the books for at least one season.

A massive loss of sponsorship and revenue and a general decimation of the competition as we know it. A lot of people would have lost faith in the sport.

When faced with that prospect, I think they blinked and sacrificed one to save the many. To me, that's not honourable and fair.

I'll take that as a resounding "No" then.

• Haha

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Jeez that's some massive speculating there TBR. "plenty of dodgy stuff", "not always intentionally", "I think had the same standard applied to Essendon applied across the competition we would have seen massive amounts of suspensions of players, coaches and officials and fines for clubs, and many resignations of AFL and club officials."

Clearly no difference between what you've exposed and the Essendon club sanctioned injection regime.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I wonder whether these other clubs were getting the supplements injected into the players "off site" like Essendon were, and whether the players signed "waivers" like the ones Essendon asked the players to sign.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I know someone who has done strength and conditioning training at AFL and NRL clubs through the 90s and earlier half of the 2000s, wont name clubs

He where he worked there were individuals who used illegal peds , and there was bit of nudge nudge wink wink at times , but the clubs where he worked were never invloved in supplying or setting up programs , it was the individual looking for an edge , '

not saying it didnt exist , just saying he didnt see it happen

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
So to answer your question, yes I am aware of between 12 and 17 AFL clubs who engaged in supplements programs that were so chronically flawed that the likelihood of a breach of the codes was significant.

That's not the question I asked. I asked if are you aware of another club that implemented a systematic institutionalised clandestine injection program performed on all players?

If you don't want to answer the question, just say so. It's a lot more honest than trying to Morrison your way out of answering it.

kiwitiger

Jul 28, 2004
Staff from other clubs expressed shock at players (and coaches) being injected to the stomach, as well as the sheer number of injections. If you know of another club with an injection regimen that was remotely comparable and a cornerstone of weekly preparation and recovery, spill the beans. If you know of another AFL club that came to the attention of the Australian Crime Commission's Project Aperio, spill the beans.

video-undefined-2A05EC8100000578-499_638x360.jpg

Pretty sure Melbourne and Gold Coast were investigated.
ive had a bit of experience with peptides ,well before the essendon drama happened ,

you pinch a skin fold and inject it sideways into that area you have pinched so it goes in just under the skin with a small needle ,

But it has to be done twice a day ,

pretty intense thing to put young innocent guys through ,

i was an older gym rat trying to get rid of some shocking tendonitis issues ,my choice , was told it works wonders with that , it worked :)

it was for about 2 months or maybe a bit more , the strength/power increases while i was taking it were significant

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I know someone who has done strength and conditioning training at AFL and NRL clubs through the 90s and earlier half of the 2000s, wont name clubs

He where he worked there were individuals who used illegal peds , and there was bit of nudge nudge wink wink at times , but the clubs where he worked were never invloved in supplying or setting up programs , it was the individual looking for an edge , '

not saying it didnt exist , just saying he didnt see it happen
The sport I was in as a younger man had quite a few participants that indulged in the gear. My coach said it was rife back in the late 80’s but terribly unsophisticated. In his case guys taking a “handful of fruit salad” between training sessions. He suspects they were uppers and some other things but they were told and no one asked!!

kiwitiger

Jul 28, 2004
The sport I was in as a younger man had quite a few participants that indulged in the gear. My coach said it was rife back in the late 80’s but terribly unsophisticated. In his case guys taking a “handful of fruit salad” between training sessions. He suspects they were uppers and some other things but they were told and no one asked!!

Peptides are a bit like taking human growth hormone in its benefits , not as strong

HGH injected is an artificial form of growth hormone , peptides increases your bodies natural production of it ,

which basically aids recovery , so in a sport with heaps of training , you are recovering quicker , allows you to go harder again in a quicker time frame , and you also recover from injury quicker