Established Player vs Magic Beans | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Established Player vs Magic Beans

Frank Booth

Tiger Cub
Apr 9, 2016
Dimma in his Thursday media call was asked about regrets about trading out high draft picks for the GWS pair.. Interesting response and one I reckon he's probably hit the nail on the head. Analysis of draft picks post 2000 shows there's a 1 in 3 chance of getting a 100+ games player in the draft. Dimma said he'd take an established player over 'magic beans' (unknown quantity) any day of the week. In saying that I thought it was an overreach to go after the second of the GWS pair but at least we knew what we're in for.

Reactions: 4 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Dimma in his Thursday media call was asked about regrets about trading out high draft picks for the GWS pair.. Interesting response and one I reckon he's probably hit the nail on the head. Analysis of draft picks post 2000 shows there's a 1 in 3 chance of getting a 100+ games player in the draft. Dimma said he'd take an established player over 'magic beans' (unknown quantity) any day of the week. In saying that I thought it was an overreach to go after the second of the GWS pair but at least we knew what we're in for.
Tarranto has slotted in well and showing our established stars up most games but Hopper is a strange one. He doesn't seem to a do a lot but generally is sound when he does yet hasn't shown the spark many of us hoped although it is still too early to bag him. He seems an anonymous player who works but not in a very visible way. Going for the GWS pair does seem a risk but the signs are it will pay off later on in the season

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Some of us have been saying the same thing. Draft picks are highly overrated.

Reactions: 5 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Cannabis….magic beans. Is time to get worried ? Or is Hooch just finding himself ?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Will say it again. You shouldn't give up 1st round draft choices for established B grade footballers. Hopper is best 22 no doubt about it but is not an A grade player. Taranto is close to A grade but his disposal only gives him a B+ I reckon. Just my opinion but still believe we paid overs. Would prefer going to the draft.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Will say it again. You shouldn't give up 1st round draft choices for established B grade footballers. Hopper is best 22 no doubt about it but is not an A grade player. Taranto is close to A grade but his disposal only gives him a B+ I reckon. Just my opinion but still believe we paid overs. Would prefer going to the draft.
Agree. 1st round picks are where you can nab generational players eg Martin, Cotch, JR etc. Outside that you are looking at your B graders with a sprinkle of A. Without those first round picks you may nab a premiership if everything goes right in that year but you will struggle to contend for years like we did without those generational players.
In hindsight the Taranto call was the right one but reckon we should have gone for a cheaper alternative instead of Hopper. Someone like Mitchell and kept the 1st round pick which could be a Top 3 with the way we are going.
That would have given the rebuild a good kickstart.

Reactions: 1 user

Wildcat

Tiger Superstar
Oct 25, 2012
its not pick 3, its round 8. It could be pick 1 or 2….or it could be 4,5,6,7,8,9,10 or who knows YET. Stop listening to Kornes and others crap on. Its round 8.

Its not a great season but it aint over yet.

Reactions: 12 users

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
What if it’s all part of a much bigger deal. You pay slightly overs for Hopper but getting him and Taranto means you get Himmelberg as a free agent in part because of their long standing friendship.

If that’s the case then an argument could be made that we paid unders for Hopper and Taranto.

Reactions: 10 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Tricky period for the club. Need the young uns to step up. Magic beans not working as quickly as we would like....

Getting Tim and Hopp was crucially important and for what its worth I reckon we paid a fair price.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Accountants are good at expected value.

Expected value says trade picks for players.

Taleb says black swan events happen every year.

Keep draft picks for the black swan.

Jack says buy beans.

The Giants live on top of the beanstalk cloud but fell off because the beans didn't get planted.

All makes sense as long as Jack doesn't join the recruiting department.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
What if it’s all part of a much bigger deal. You pay slightly overs for Hopper but getting him and Taranto means you get Himmelberg as a free agent in part because of their long standing friendship.

If that’s the case then an argument could be made that we paid unders for Hopper and Taranto.
You can make an argument we paid unders without the HH factor. If we get the spoon making that argument is a much tougher gig.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
What we paid is what we paid. We don't have a first-rounder this year so it doesn't matter to us what number it is.

Reactions: 3 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
We paid picks 14 and 23 for Taranto. Easily in the top 3 players from his draft. Would you trade 14 and 23 for pick 3? Good luck getting the club with pick 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7 to agree to that trade.

Reactions: 6 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Bit misleading. As an example, from draft 10 years ago 22 of 36 (1st 2 rounds) played over 100 games, 27 over 70 games. By 3rd round it was 1 in 3. It's going to cost us during a period when many older players are and will be retiring. They'll be replaced by much more speculative youngsters from round 3 onwards.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
We got a pick 3 who we know can perform, pick 3 at the draft is good but still speculative.

DS

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Some of us have been saying the same thing. Draft picks are highly overrated.
Draft picks have not helped Ess, Carl, norf, St kilda blah blah.
Without TT and Hopper we would not have even been competitive this year.

Reactions: 3 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Don’t really agree with Hardwick on this one

We used to mess up our top 5 picks, once upon a time

But the last couple of times we had them our recruiters delivered Hardwick three flags

There’s your Taranto types who can be great players in their own right.

But then there’s Cotchin and Martin.

Nah this is spin from Dimma

We needed that pick this year.