Existing on One Oval | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Existing on One Oval

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
In the mid-2000s there were stories about the RFC setting up a base at Craigieburn. As I understand it, that is now abandoned. We appear to be locked in to the 'stay local' 3121 strategy, which has obvious benefits and attractions. One thing I am unclear about, however, is how do we keep pace with the requirements of elite sport when we only have one oval? These days, elite football clubs (of whatever code) are shifting to the big training base model. We see this in the AFL with teams like Gold Coast having multiple ovals, elaborate gyms, admin facilities etc. Today Hawthorn announced the Dingley thing is going ahead.

I have rarely heard Benny explain exactly how we can progress when limited to a single oval, especially with the increasing professionalism of AFLW. Even my local club has two lush grounds.

Interested in people's thoughts.

Reactions: 3 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
In the mid-2000s there were stories about the RFC setting up a base at Craigieburn. As I understand it, that is now abandoned. We appear to be locked in to the 'stay local' 3121 strategy, which has obvious benefits and attractions. One thing I am unclear about, however, is how do we keep pace with the requirements of elite sport when we only have one oval? These days, elite football clubs (of whatever code) are shifting to the big training base model. We see this in the AFL with teams like Gold Coast having multiple ovals, elaborate gyms, admin facilities etc. Today Hawthorn announced the Dingley thing is going ahead.

I have rarely heard Benny explain exactly how we can progress when limited to a single oval, especially with the increasing professionalism of AFLW. Even my local club has two lush grounds.

Interested in people's thoughts.
How many teams does your local club have? Local clubs with juniors all needing to train after school/work have very different needs to a professional team that can train anytime.

I would think 1 oval for 3/4 teams- AFL/VFL/AFLW &VFLW (if we get a team) is fine. There may be a clash between VFL and VFLW if both need to train in the evenings, but the rest should be fine.

Inside space may be a different story- room for all gym needs, rehab, video rooms and staff etc may require expansion, but I am not really sure what we have.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Sounds like a good question for an AGM but that is a long way away

We used to have Q&A sessions online with key staff, not sure why it stopped

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Gosch's paddock will ge vacant when Melbun go to Caulfield racecourse. That may be an option.

Reactions: 1 user