FIFA Corruption | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FIFA Corruption

Baloo said:
The thing is Blatter has gained the support of the majority of delegates because each country's vote holds as much weight as the next country. American Western Samoa's vote is as important as Brazil's.

Blatter did work hard to ensure the smaller nations and confederations got a greater piece of the FIFA money pie than warranted but it needed to happen. Europe and South America dominated soccer's global decisions. We can look at Australia and see that under Blatter, we are now a regular World Cup Finals participant, as are more asian and african countries.

So I understand why Blatter has the support, he has earned it to a certain extent. What he has failed at is ensuring his supporters are clean. He hasn't stamped down on corruption. He's probaby corrupt as well. That FIFA is mire in corruption under his watch is why he needs to go down.

But understanding how he got voted in again really isn't that hard and it's not necessarily corruption.

Agree with all that - will be interested to see how the football politics of Europe verses South America verses the others small countries starts to play out.

Had to laugh on the report on 774 this morning - they quoted Blatter saying last week that the only reason he would even consider stepping down would be if he was proved guilty or something along those lines.

A week is a long time in footy

year of the tiger said:
Agree with all that - will be interested to see how the football politics of Europe verses South America verses the others small countries starts to play out.

that creates for interesting debate. if a European gets the gig (ie. platini), you'd think that would mean extra power for Europe... is that a good or bad thing? after south Africa 2010 and brazil 2014, blatter openly said that Europe will never again go longer than 8 years without hosting a world cup (meaning 2026, 2034, etc, will go to Europe). but on the other side of the coin, I reckon Europe is underrepresented at the world cup with 13 teams (and talk that will be reduced to 12).

Ian4 said:
that creates for interesting debate. if a European gets the gig (ie. platini), you'd think that would mean extra power for Europe... is that a good or bad thing? after south Africa 2010 and brazil 2014, blatter openly said that Europe will never again go longer than 8 years without hosting a world cup (meaning 2026, 2034, etc, will go to Europe). but on the other side of the coin, I reckon Europe is underrepresented at the world cup with 13 teams (and talk that will be reduced to 12).

Thats the problem with a World Game. Should the world cup have the best teams in the world competitng, or the best teams from each confederation ?

Baloo said:
Thats the problem with a World Game. Should the world cup have the best teams in the world competitng, or the best teams from each confederation ?

another good point, but I think changing the qualifying process so the best 32 teams qualify irrespective of which confederation they come from will never happen unless all the confederations are disbanded... the chances of that happening are zero IMO. and how would they choose the best 32 teams? the FIFA rankings system is a joke as it is.

many will say Asia isn't good enough to warrant 4.5 WC spots, but considering Asia is the most populated confederation, you could also argue that 4.5 spots aren't enough. I've stated many times that Asia should be split in 2 (middle east and Asia Pacific incorporating oceana), but that probably won't ever happen because no one would agree on how many worth cup spots each would get.

i think having the top teams from each Federation allows the smaller regions (in soccer speak) to be involved and to me is a better way to make it a true world cup (from countries being represented) - having the top 32 countries involved could result in Europe / South America dominating with a few outliers being involved - hard to take the game to the world under this scenario - the strong remain or get stronger while the weak can't improve.

The good thing blatter has done for the game is support the smaller countries and build the game outside the two dominant regions (pity he didn't do this by the rule book though).

Another point, even if Qatar lose the hosting rights (which I hope they do), I still can't see it coming to Australia - England and US would have something to say about that.

interesting times ahead.

I just read that after Chuck Blazer admitted to bribery, we wore a wire when meeting FIFA officials for a while.

That might explain why there isn't too much denial going on from the officials under arrest.

No real surprises here is there.

The International Olympic Committee might be worth a look into also. Im sure theres plenty of special deals going on there also.

craig said:
No real surprises here is there.

The International Olympic Committee might be worth a look into also. Im sure theres plenty of special deals going on there also.

IOC got cleaned out in the 90's, they put in some pretty strong governance arrangements in place - although with these types of events it would surprise me.

to me the only way it can be cleaned out is if those who are found guilty go to jail - any other penalty doesn't mean much in the scheme of things

IMO Warner is the Golden key to all of FIFA's greed and filth.

The slime bag just announced on national TV he will roll over on and spill the beans.

Not much of an option really, serious life ending jail time or a dubious life ending accident awaits him unless he seeks protection and a deal.

Hope he still ends up rotting in jail with Blatter and co.

Chiang Mai Tiger said:
IMO Warner is the Golden key to all of FIFA's greed and filth.

The slime bag just announced on national TV he will roll over on and spill the beans.

Not much of an option really, serious life ending jail time or a dubious life ending accident awaits him unless he seeks protection and a deal.

Hope he still ends up rotting in jail with Blatter and co.

naaaah. Corporate crooks generally get a slap on the wrist. A fine and a few months in a low security farm maybe. The higher they fly, the more cushy their punishment.

Baloo said:
The thing is Blatter has gained the support of the majority of delegates because each country's vote holds as much weight as the next country. American Western Samoa's vote is as important as Brazil's.

Blatter did work hard to ensure the smaller nations and confederations got a greater piece of the FIFA money pie than warranted but it needed to happen. Europe and South America dominated soccer's global decisions. We can look at Australia and see that under Blatter, we are now a regular World Cup Finals participant, as are more asian and african countries.

So I understand why Blatter has the support, he has earned it to a certain extent. What he has failed at is ensuring his supporters are clean. He hasn't stamped down on corruption. He's probaby corrupt as well. That FIFA is mire in corruption under his watch is why he needs to go down.

But understanding how he got voted in again really isn't that hard and it's not necessarily corruption.

Baloo, Your first point is absolutely hitting the nail on the head. Giving small islands the same power in a vote as soccer powerhouses in England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Italy etc is ludicrous and actually promotes corruption. Whatever anyone says Europe and South America dominate soccer yet get less than 50% of the votes in any Fifa vote. Blatters election needed not 1 single vote from either of these federations.

IMO the first thing FIFA need to do is change their voting system towards a proportional representation system. How you would allocate the proportions I'm not sure (average crowd sizes, world rankings, number of professional teams etc ), I'm not sure but something needs to be changed that takes the opportunity of corruption out of the equation by removing the power of tiny islands that are easy to bribe for votes. Its no coincidence that the man at the forefront of all of this in Jack Warner as the president of Concacaf for many years actually had more power in Fifa than South America. How thats even possibly is ridiculous.

mrposhman said:
Baloo, Your first point is absolutely hitting the nail on the head. Giving small islands the same power in a vote as soccer powerhouses in England, Germany, Spain, Brazil, Italy etc is ludicrous and actually promotes corruption. Whatever anyone says Europe and South America dominate soccer yet get less than 50% of the votes in any Fifa vote. Blatters election needed not 1 single vote from either of these federations.

IMO the first thing FIFA need to do is change their voting system towards a proportional representation system. How you would allocate the proportions I'm not sure (average crowd sizes, world rankings, number of professional teams etc ), I'm not sure but something needs to be changed that takes the opportunity of corruption out of the equation by removing the power of tiny islands that are easy to bribe for votes. Its no coincidence that the man at the forefront of all of this in Jack Warner as the president of Concacaf for many years actually had more power in Fifa than South America. How thats even possibly is ridiculous.

The Ancient Greeks did this - in the Peloponnesian League the smaller member states had the same voting rights as the bigger - but could be easily influenced by certain bigger states.

But on the other hand if you do it another way the bigger states have too much power anyway.

48 teams in 2026 world cup with 16 groups of 3 teams.

:veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset

Ian4 said:

:veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset :veryupset

Just 3 teams in each group seems strange, but it does give more countries a chance to join and also qualify for the next round.

Ian4 said:

There are 195 countries in the world (196 if you include Taiwan)
48/195=25%
A quarter of all countries will make the World Cup finals.

There are an estimated 7.5 billion people alive today
The combined population of the 48 most populated countries is an estimated 6.4 billion

If the 48 most populated countries all make the world cup finals that means 85% of humanity will be represented.

Remember that if wasn't for the political corruptness of FIFA Australia would still be playing off against a Sth American 5th place finisher for our entry into the World Cup.

some of the above posts are missing the point. at the moment Australia plays 18 world cup qualifiers for the right to play 3 games at the world cup (more if we progress) with 4.5 spots available in Asia.

Come 2026, Australia will be playing 18 world cup qualifiers for the right to play 2 games at the world cup (more if we progress) with allegedly 8.5 spots available in Asia.

what makes this ridiculous is that fact that its gonna render the qualifying rounds virtually pointless from an Australian POV, meaning less interest and less crowds. Star Socceroos players will probably skip games like they did when we were in Oceana. in addition, qualifying games against the bigger Asian teams (ie. japan) will be far less meaningful as there will be far less pressure on getting a result in these games.

yes national teams that are currently on the peripheral (such as China) are more likely to qualify, meaning more money for FIFA. so cutting a long story short: FIFA will make extra profits at the world cup while national federations will lose money from the lack of quality qualifying games.

The other point of course is that it will make it much harder for countries to actually bid to host the world cup. who's gonna have the resources/infrastructure in place to host 48 teams? Only countries such as the USA and China will be able to do it... or joint bids from multiple countries.

IMO, 40 teams (8 group of 5 teams with the top 2 progressing) would have been the perfect compromise.