Finals Venues | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Finals Venues

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
So what’s the feeling on the direction the AFL will take on finals venues?

Quite a bit of talk that all participating clubs may be sent to Perth and all finals matches played there in a kind of football carnival style of atmosphere.

Adelaide is also pitching and staking their claim. And there are rumours circulating that the AFL is talking to the Tasmanian government about utilising venues in Launceston and Hobart.

royce67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 4, 2008
Hobart

Quite a bit of talk that all participating clubs may be sent to Perth and all finals matches played there in a kind of football carnival style of atmosphere.

Adelaide is also pitching and staking their claim. And there are rumours circulating that the AFL is talking to the Tasmanian government about utilising venues in Launceston and Hobart.
I'm still on "The Gravel" in Queenstown bandwagon, PT. Let's make it happen!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

deedee

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 12, 2011
I checked my calendar, there are no finals in 2021

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Move all the games to WA. Time zone works for me.

But more importantly, where are they holding draft night?

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I checked my calendar, there are no finals in 2021
You know. That thought crossed my mind too.

Tiges have obviously been up and about playing finals for a while now. The year that I may have got the peculiar chance to see them play finals in TAS, they miss out.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

Dunno exactly but for some reason it’s a hell of a lot longer time after our last game than we‘ve become used to

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004

McGowan has said players need to be vaccinated. A large number aren’t and clubs would be reluctant now because of potential side effects during finals.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

I've warmed to the idea of Prelims and the GF in Perth in recent weeks. Neutral venues with the Eagles almost certainly out. But I now think all finals should be moved to Perth. It was 100% wrong last year that Port and Brisbane were allowed to host home finals when Richmond and Geelong weren’t allowed. For the sake of principal and fairness, I don’t wanna see a repeat of this.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I've warmed to the idea of Prelims and the GF in Perth in recent weeks. Neutral venues with the Eagles almost certainly out. But I now think all finals should be moved to Perth. It was 100% wrong last year that Port and Brisbane were allowed to host home finals when Richmond and Geelong weren’t allowed. For the sake of principal and fairness, I don’t wanna see a repeat of this.
It could be that in the first week, half are in WA and the other half in a SA-TAS group.

But the weakness of that arrangement (in line with your argument above) is that Port get an unfair advantage over everyone else. That said, a well supported VIC side playing in TAS can be like a home final.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
You sound like Chris Scott.
No one was going to complain that NSW couldn't host finals, but because Victorians sides cant, no one should?

As an aside, i hope the Giants never complain about not playing at the MCG enough again. they had the chance to play us there, but were too worried the venue would make it harder to beat us so they chose to play at a place they will probably never play a final at. soft choice.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Interesting. The talk is that the AFL has suggested it is very likely to send a first week final to Tasmania.

But it will be more than likely Sydney vs GWS.

I just do not understand the AFL. Are they wilfully ignorant regarding the footy culture and legacy in Tasmania? Or do they just hate us?

One of the reasons the Hawthorn and North Melbourne fixtures have disappointing attendances is that we get the same stale match ups over and over again, featuring teams that do not conjure up interest in the State. But it creates a self fulfilling situation where the AFL can say, “see you guys don’t support footy hence why we will only ever give you scraps.”

But look what happens when really well followed teams do travel down here. It’s the biggest ticket in town. Hawthorn vs Essendon was a great example earlier this year.

For reasons of economics, I obviously understand why those big fixtures normally are played at the MCG. But here we are in a very abnormal situation, where you could give Tasmania a Melbourne vs Brisbane or Dogs vs Essendon final that becomes a real home away for home for Victorian clubs and have a great atmosphere like the Haw vs Ess fixture earlier in the year. But they prefer to play those in front of a soulless neutral crowd in Adelaide, Brisbane or Perth. Meanwhile, continuing to serve the *smile* boring fixtures to Tasmania.

*smile* you AFL you bunch of arrogant *smile*. If current negotiations result in the Tasmanian Government and the AFL walking away from each other in impending years, so be it. It’s become apparent to me, there are more useful purposes for those resources.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
100% agree @Panthera Tigris.

I was just wondering 1. what options Melbourne have to play Brisbane and 2. where they'll pick.

If I was Goodwin, Id go to the coldest, wettest, most poorly drained oval in Tasmania, the closest place to them, and the furthest for Brisbane.

what are Melbournes options?

ive read both prelims and GF will be in Perth, so it becomes pretty strategic where and when you go.

especially given if you win a Q final, you get a week off, win a prelim, and have another week off before the GF apparently?

gonna be a really tricky premiership to win.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I agree with ezy. If I’m Goodwin, I’m saying let’s play it in Tassie. Don’t give the Liars any opportunity.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
100% agree @Panthera Tigris.

I was just wondering 1. what options Melbourne have to play Brisbane and 2. where they'll pick.

If I was Goodwin, Id go to the coldest, wettest, most poorly drained oval in Tasmania, the closest place to them, and the furthest for Brisbane.

what are Melbournes options?

ive read both prelims and GF will be in Perth, so it becomes pretty strategic where and when you go.

especially given if you win a Q final, you get a week off, win a prelim, and have another week off before the GF apparently?

gonna be a really tricky premiership to win.
I agree with ezy. If I’m Goodwin, I’m saying let’s play it in Tassie. Don’t give the Liars any opportunity.
I reckon Launceston would make a superb venue for that fixture.

Probably doesn’t meet your criteria as poorly drained (in actual fact, up there with the best surfaces in the AFL). But Play it at night in the dew. Launceston cools off quite a lot at night time. Would be like playing at night in Ballarat.

Melbourne doesn’t have the biggest following in the state - like Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn etc. But larger than the likes of North. A Melbourne vs Brisbane finals fixture would sell out. And probably be a 65/35 crowd in a Melbourne’s favour.

• Love

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I reckon Launceston would make a superb venue for that fixture.

Probably doesn’t meet your criteria as poorly drained (in actual fact, up there with the best surfaces in the AFL). But Play it at night in the dew. Launceston cools off quite a lot at night time. Would be like playing at night in Ballarat.

Melbourne doesn’t have the biggest following in the state - like Richmond, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn etc. But larger than the likes of North. A Melbourne vs Brisbane finals fixture would sell out. And probably be a 65/35 crowd in a Melbourne’s favour.

yeah good call. Ive watched EZJ play on that oval, and felt that cold damp rise out of the swamp like a zombie, right when the sun dips behind the stand.

and yeah, its a first class surface.

great call. I really hope they do it.

I wonder if Dees actually have the choice of venue?

I reckon it more likely Gil says 'you can choose between Adelaide Oval or The Gabba'

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
yeah good call. Ive watched EZJ play on that oval, and felt that cold damp rise out of the swamp like a zombie, right when the sun dips behind the stand.

and yeah, its a first class surface.

great call. I really hope they do it.

I wonder if Dees actually have the choice of venue?

I reckon it more likely Gil says 'you can choose between Adelaide Oval or The Gabba'
They should have. If it was Geelong they’d get to play it at Kardinia.