Finals Venues | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Finals Venues

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Hehe. What would you do Angry? Just keep it in place because it’s the AFL? :)

Clearly I was a bit premature. And the AFL have pleasantly surprised me.

My wife is a Swannies fan from our time living in Sydney, so she is definitely going along to the Saturday match (Sydney vs GWS).

Unfortunately being a Saturday, one of us has to stay home in Hobart and manage the kid’s activities (sports, dancing etc) so looks like that will be me. If the game was in Hobart I would have been able to do both (manage the kids and get to the game with the wife). But being a two hour drive it unfortunately doesn’t work. Not to worry. I have had a pretty good run myself over the past few seasons heading over to Melbourne watching our beloved Tiges playing finals and leaving the wife at home to manage the kids. So it all evens out.

And I’m not one to get too upset and passionate over the whole Hobart vs Launceston civil war. Plenty of local commentary sooking that Launceston got both games, not fair…sook, sook, sook….Hobart should have got one, Launceston the other etc. Sure for selfish reasons, it would work better for the wife and I if the game was in Hobart. But like I stated in earlier posts. If one is being pragmatic about it. Launceston has the better venue.

I actually grew up in both cities/towns, hence why I don’t get too tied up in the whole north vs south rivalry. You blokes shake your heads at the divisive, parochial shortcomings in our Federation that have been exposed over the pandemic. But I despair at the whole north vs south rubbish that goes on within just our tiny island. When there were cases detected in northern Tasmania early in the pandemic. There were people in the south ready to roll out the razor wire at the 42nd parallel and make official the Cascade-Boags demarcation line and demilitarised zone, that they’ve always been itching for, to keep those filthy, diseased northerners out.

Same, never played along with our ridiculous North/South rivalry PT.

In fact always said the South had one good thing come out of it....

The road North.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Same, never played along with our ridiculous North/South rivalry PT.

In fact always said the South had one good thing come out if it....

The road North.
I am very North/South agnostic. To prove it, my stock standard go to beers to have in the fridge are a six pack of each Boags Draught and Cascade Lager. An act of heresy in these parts. :)

I don't go much on Cascade Draught, so prefer Boags as a Draught beer. And prefer the old stock standard Cascade Lager (some people know it as Cascade Blue) than Boags Premium Lager - and it's cheaper too.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I am very North/South agnostic. To prove it, my stock standard go to beers to have in the fridge are a six pack of each Boags Draught and Cascade Lager. An act of heresy in these parts. :)

I don't go much on Cascade Draught, so prefer Boags as a Draught beer. And prefer the old stock standard Cascade Lager (some people know it as Cascade Blue) than Boags Premium Lager - and it's cheaper too.
Cascade Green, Pale Ale IIRC , mothers milk

Reactions: 1 users

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane

Surely you can't go past Boags red? On tap the best beer available anywhere.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
That's why we hate LOLNorf, they were quite happy to *smile* RFC off to where ever

because sometimes people wish bad things for you, doesn't mean you have to wish the same on them. I'm sure not all North fans felt that way.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Surely you can't go past Boags red? On tap the best beer available anywhere.
Got told by someone recently to give the Boags Red XXX ale a go as an alternative to Cascade Lager, if I am looking for a larger equivalent (outside of the Premium) produced by Boags. Pretty good. But for some reason, Mrs PT and I just can't go past Cascade Lager. She's not a big beer drinker, but really likes Cascade Lager. In her words, "This is how beer is supposed to smell and taste."

Like I say though, I'm quite a fan of Boags Draught.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
Cascade Green, Pale Ale IIRC , mothers milk
That was the stock standard beer that they flogged off really cheap at Uni when I was there. Had a couple of really bad nights when my wide eyed youthful exuberance over indulged. Since that time, have struggled to stomach it as a result. :vomit

Probably nothing at all wrong with the beer per se. Just put it down to a life experience.

Last edited:

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Ahead of his time...

But yeah, what they did to Fitzroy was a disgrace. I think the same when people here denigrate North, or whoever. We need our opponents, and we should respect their right to exist.
typical Woke response ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Just wanna have a sook. If Melbourne and Footscray can’t host finals at the MCG and Sydney at the SCG, the Port shouldn’t be allowed to host a home final in Adelaide. Its the same garbage as last year and its wrong.

Yeah, from that perspective I reckon the Melbourne vs Brisbane final would have been a better fit for Launceston. Send the Footscray vs Essendon final to Adelaide.

I'm tipping Melbourne as minor premiers were offered the choice of Adelaide or Launceston and chose Adelaide, meaning Footscray were stuck with Launceston.

I’ll also add that it’s a disgrace Launceston got 2 finals and Hobart none. My mate who lives in Hobart is legit fuming (although he does live a short walk from Bellerive).

We’ve had this talk I’m sure. Cascade Pale Ale is the best beer of all time. I have no doubt in my mind it would be the highest selling beer in Australia if it was sold at bottle shops on the mainland. I’m also partial to Cascade Draught and Lager, but it’s hard to get your hands on them in Melbourne. The Dan Murphys eBay store sells Draught and Lager periodically. But Pale Ale is very easy to find online these days. My beer fridge is always stocked with Pales.

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I’ll also add that it’s a disgrace Launceston got 2 finals and Hobart none. My mate who lives in Hobart is legit fuming (although he does live a short walk from Bellerive).
I only live a few KMs from Bellerive (a couple of suburbs over) so from a selfish perspective, it's pretty easy for me too. But I don't rate it as a particularly good football venue. Just has no atmosphere and doesn't seem to play as well as York Park. Obviously the stale fixtures Bellerive gets allocated don't help the poor crowd numbers there. But I can't help thinking that the venue also has something to do with it. It's not the type of stadium people are itching to get along to. Doesn't have that affection in the community.

The logistics are rubbish and the venue itself is such an ill-fitting mishmash. It is the embodiment of the haphazard history, which resulted in Bellerive stumbling into the situation where it's southern Tasmania's main outdoor sporting arena. And it really is confined by the street layout around it, that there really isn't the potential to do much in the way of further development to improve many of it's shortcomings. Every time I go to a sporting event there, I just come away thinking what could have been, if there had been some methodical decision making and leadership back in the 1980s. But so much money and resources have been poured into it, it would be a negligent waste to not just accept we are stuck with it now for a generation or more.

The analogy I'd use. It would be like the AFL, instead of building a new stadium at the Docklands. They chose to redevelop Williamstown Oval as a half hearted stadium. But think of Williamstown Oval without a train line anywhere near it. That's the kind of geography we are talking. And on reflection, until the late 1980s the infrastructure at Bellerive would have been equivalent to Williamstown Oval - as in, there wasn't much there. It really was an odd choice, with no rhyme or reason (unless you understood the dynamics of the cushy relationships between local politicians, councilors and business people which lead us on this direction).

And like I said earlier, I'm not one to get too tied up in the parochial north vs south rubbish. I'm Tasmanian - being a southerner or northerner is just of no relevance to me. So if I was asked the question, is it some sort of injustice that Hobart didn't get a match, I'm kind of a bit, "meh".

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users