Fisher McAsey retirement | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fisher McAsey retirement

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
ProbBly going to be more of this over the years, high draft picks who cant commit to the demanding elite sports life.
The Tom Boyd story

Reactions: 1 user

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
We have tottaly destroyed Adelaide.
They were once a respected AFL club, but now they are just shambles.
Let's get Rachele

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Reece actually made a decent career for himself and although a journeyman wouldn’t be considered a miss on the games played stat.

Beau dowler is your archetypical pick 6. Smacked with injury and less than 20 games.

Reactions: 5 users

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Was the crows highest ever draft pick. Probably only second to Danger.
That's deflating for the club on the eve of the season
Even worse as Adelaide traded to get pick 6 specifically to get McAsey

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Big difference playing school footy v NAB Cup.

Where did he play for the dragons? Mostly back. He was bigger than most and relied on size. Drafted as a key defender.

Did you watch him fro the crows? Very average. And it's not like there wasn't a spot there for the taking. Lacked the athleticisim required now.

Hope he gets back to enjoying his footy.
I know the coaches at Caulfield were really surprised on how average he was at Crows. Looked all at sea. To defend him the back line at Crows was under siege when he played that season. Difficult circumstances to debut in.

His success at junior/school had as much to do with how good he was as a footballer/athlete as it was his size. 195cm in yr12 but was never what you would call a "man child".

I did have a suspicion that footy meant more to his parents than to him and that he may been one of those kids who enjoyed footy, didn't love it but was good at it. May be wrong on that but was always something I thought possible.

Still think he will get back as a rookie somewhere. Athletic 195cm guys who can take a good grab are always in demand.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I know the coaches at Caulfield were really surprised on how average he was at Crows. Looked all at sea. To defend him the back line at Crows was under siege when he played that season. Difficult circumstances to debut in.

His success at junior/school had as much to do with how good he was as a footballer/athlete as it was his size. 195cm in yr12 but was never what you would call a "man child".

I did have a suspicion that footy meant more to his parents than to him and that he may been one of those kids who enjoyed footy, didn't love it but was good at it. May be wrong on that but was always something I thought possible.

Still think he will get back as a rookie somewhere. Athletic 195cm guys who can take a good grab are always in demand.
He's not "athletic" though. He might be slim but he aint quick or agile. It was actually one of the areas he needed to improve. Balta is athletic. Miller is athletic. McAsey is far from it.

And he can't play anywhere else. And he lacks motivation at 21! A big ignore for mine.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Even worse as Adelaide traded to get pick 6 specifically to get McAsey
That'll go down well .......................... Tigers fans were pisssed when young Reece McKenzie walked out, and he was a much laterr pick from memory.

Last edited:

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I find it astonishing that a 21 yo whose had 3 years without imposing himself in SANFL, says unambiguously

He doesnt like footy,

And heaps of people want to recruit him!

While theres 500 blokes out there better than him, who love footy.

I think well see more of this, as the talent pool is homogenised to elite melbourne private school footballers

Gimme another hungry Marlion Pickett.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Do we know who was selected from their traded pick?
Lachlan Ash (pick 4) for Fischer McAsey (pick 6) and 2020 pick (ended up aspick 11) - Luke Pedlar

• Haha

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
I find it astonishing that a 21 yo whose had 3 years without imposing himself in SANFL, says unambiguously

He doesnt like footy,

And heaps of people want to recruit him!

Straight projection, we'd all give our left nut to play for Richmond so how could anyone possibly not want to?

Fact is being a professional footballer isn't a lifestyle that suits a lot of people, but most don't have the courage to say so. Good on this lad for doing it.

Reactions: 9 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Straight projection, we'd all give our left nut to play for Richmond so how could anyone possibly not want to?

Fact is being a professional footballer isn't a lifestyle that suits a lot of people, but most don't have the courage to say so. Good on this lad for doing it.

Fair call. I think being elite at any anything demands tremendous sacrifice that most people just aren't cut out for / don't what. Maintaining a healthy weight just requires you to not drink too much, have too much sugar, cut out the dirty bird KFC and watch your carbs and that is a challenge for a pretty reasonable percentage of society and certainly not making you elite.

Ash Barty clearly decided she had had enough and wants to experience the other side of life at least for now. What we see in the media are all these elite people so it kind of normalises those expectations versus what the rest of society gets up to in its spare time.