Fitzroy & Brisbane Lions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fitzroy & Brisbane Lions

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
Background
——————-

Established in 1883, the Fitzroy Football Club became a foundation team in the Victorian Football League in 1897. The first to win a VFL grand final, Fitzroy is the only club to have played in the VFA, VFL, AFL and VAFA.

For most of their existence carried the nickname “the Lions”. They won a flag in the VFA and a further 8 to 1944 before merging with the Brisbane Bears in 1996.

The Brisbane Lions came into existence with the 1996 merger of the AFL operations of Melbourne-based VFL/AFL foundation club Fitzroy and the Queensland expansion club the Brisbane Bears, established in 1883 and 1987 respectively. It contested its first AFL season as Brisbane Lions in 1997.

The reason for this poll is simply this!

Last week I saw a stat Ch 7 displaying the Collingwood number of premierships AND Brisbane Lions.

Collingwood 15
Brisbane Lions 3

Why?

The Brisbane Lions are part of the OLD Fitzroy VFL side. In their song this verse appears….

We are the pride of Brisbane town,
We wear maroon, blue and gold.
We will always fight for victory,
Like Fitzroy, and Bears of old.
All for one, and one for all,
We will answer to the call.
Go Lions, Brisbane Lions,
We'll kick the winning score
You'll hear our mighty roar

We'll kick the winning score.
You'll hear our mighty roar.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/aflclubthemeslyrics/brisbanelionslyrics.html

So therefore if the Brisbane Lions win it will/should be and show Premiership number 9.

Views??

Waiting’s view
———————-

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Brisbane Lions.....clearly the dumbest team for the last how many years in this comp.

Disco

Tiger Champion
Dec 4, 2004
Melbourne
Brisbane Lions.....clearly the dumbest team for the last how many years in this comp.
Yep, their forward line isn’t tough enough. Plenty hate Tom Lynch, but I’d rather have him than the limp efforts of Eric/Joe & Charlie.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Hipwood is just such a spud. Barely contributes and when he does it’s usually with something out on the full.

Reactions: 7 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
And as for Berry, well he was just astonishingly putrid. How he wasn’t subbed off I have no idea. At least Ah Chee would have given them some run in the last qtr. Berry just plodded around doing nothing except f everything up.

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Yep, their forward line isn’t tough enough. Plenty hate Tom Lynch, but I’d rather have him than the limp efforts of Eric/Joe & Charlie.
Too many individualists in this team including a dual Brownlow Medallist who found his 2nd under a tree.

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
Background
——————-

Established in 1883, the Fitzroy Football Club became a foundation team in the Victorian Football League in 1897. The first to win a VFL grand final, Fitzroy is the only club to have played in the VFA, VFL, AFL and VAFA.

For most of their existence carried the nickname “the Lions”. They won a flag in the VFA and a further 8 to 1944 before merging with the Brisbane Bears in 1996.

The Brisbane Lions came into existence with the 1996 merger of the AFL operations of Melbourne-based VFL/AFL foundation club Fitzroy and the Queensland expansion club the Brisbane Bears, established in 1883 and 1987 respectively. It contested its first AFL season as Brisbane Lions in 1997.

The reason for this poll is simply this!

Last week I saw a stat Ch 7 displaying the Collingwood number of premierships AND Brisbane Lions.

Collingwood 15
Brisbane Lions 3

Why?

The Brisbane Lions are part of the OLD Fitzroy VFL side. In their song this verse appears….

We'll kick the winning score
You'll hear our mighty roar

We'll kick the winning score.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/aflclubthemeslyrics/brisbanelionslyrics.html

So therefore if the Brisbane Lions win it will/should be and show Premiership number 9.

Views??

Waiting’s view
———————-
9? The Roy’s won 8 as Fitzroy in the VFL. Brisbane have won 3 in the AFL. So if both included would have been number 13. Or 4 if not.

Not that it matters as the mongrels in black and white got up.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
The question to ask is, had the Brisbane Bears ever won a flag, would the AFL be saying they currently have four? Pretty sure they would.

immorta

~~we are eternal all this pain is an illusion~~
Mar 31, 2005
Melbourne
The lion 3 peat team was next level, I loved watching them play. Not sure I've seen a harder team in the modern era.

I think Brisbane have managed it beautifully. Managed to keep their Fitzroy fan base in Melbourne engaged by respecting tradition, and also growing the game up north. They are one of the few success stories in terms of expansion teams.

BluesBloke

Tiger Superstar
Mar 15, 2012
It's a tricky one. Fitzroy now competes in the VAFA.

But it was also a merger with the Bears in 1996 to form the Brisbane Lions, making Fitzroy part of the current incarnation.

They never actually folded.

If other clubs have their VFL flags counted in their tally, why don't the Fitzroy ones get counted towards the Brisbane total? It doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
If it was truly a merger then all of the premierships of Fitzroy, the Brisbane Bears (haha, yeah right!) and the Brisbane Lions should clearly count.

I have no idea why they are listed separately, except maybe that the AFL basically killed Fitzroy and stole their nickname and history for the Bears.

I always consider they have 11 flags.

DS

Reactions: 3 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
If it was truly a merger then all of the premierships of Fitzroy, the Brisbane Bears (haha, yeah right!) and the Brisbane Lions should clearly count.

I have no idea why they are listed separately, except maybe that the AFL basically killed Fitzroy and stole their nickname and history for the Bears.

I always consider they have 11 flags.

DS
South Melb literally moved to Sydney whereas Fitzroy died and some players were kept for the Bears.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
South Melb literally moved to Sydney whereas Fitzroy died and some players were kept for the Bears.
It wasn’t a merger, it was a murder. The Bears got a better emblem, song, colours, history and access to better players. Fitzroy got shafted.

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
It wasn’t a merger, it was a murder. The Bears got a better emblem, song, colours, history and access to better players. Fitzroy got shafted.
Yep, that's why Fitzroy's flags don't count. AFL murder alright.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user