Fitzroy & Brisbane Lions | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fitzroy & Brisbane Lions

Background
——————-

Established in 1883, the Fitzroy Football Club became a foundation team in the Victorian Football League in 1897. The first to win a VFL grand final, Fitzroy is the only club to have played in the VFA, VFL, AFL and VAFA.

For most of their existence carried the nickname “the Lions”. They won a flag in the VFA and a further 8 to 1944 before merging with the Brisbane Bears in 1996.

The Brisbane Lions came into existence with the 1996 merger of the AFL operations of Melbourne-based VFL/AFL foundation club Fitzroy and the Queensland expansion club the Brisbane Bears, established in 1883 and 1987 respectively. It contested its first AFL season as Brisbane Lions in 1997.

The reason for this poll is simply this!

Last week I saw a stat Ch 7 displaying the Collingwood number of premierships AND Brisbane Lions.

Collingwood 15
Brisbane Lions 3

Why?

The Brisbane Lions are part of the OLD Fitzroy VFL side. In their song this verse appears….

We are the pride of Brisbane town,
We wear maroon, blue and gold.
We will always fight for victory,
Like Fitzroy, and Bears of old.
All for one, and one for all,
We will answer to the call.
Go Lions, Brisbane Lions,
We'll kick the winning score
You'll hear our mighty roar

We are the pride of Brisbane town,
We wear maroon, blue and gold.
We will always fight for victory,
Like Fitzroy, and Bears of old.
All for one, and one for all,
We will answer to the call.
Go Lions, Brisbane Lions,
We'll kick the winning score.
You'll hear our mighty roar.

You'll hear our mighty roar.

source: https://www.lyricsondemand.com/miscellaneouslyrics/aflclubthemeslyrics/brisbanelionslyrics.html

So therefore if the Brisbane Lions win it will/should be and show Premiership number 9.

Views??

Waiting’s view
———————-
Ummm. If Fizzroy won 8 VFL flags and Brisvegas 3 AFL flags then that would be 11 flags already for the merged entity n they would be counted as challenging for number 12 yesterday.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t understand why people don’t like Joey. I love all the Danihers.

I thought Daniher played a blinder - how many contested marks did he take, kicked goal (s) and did well in the ruck.

Hipwood goes missing to often and when has he kicked clutch goals to win games - he is their weak point and Cameron couldn’t hit the standards Hill did - he had an Ok game/an almost game which doesn’t win grannies.

Reactions: 5 users
Ummm. If Fizzroy won 8 VFL flags and Brisvegas 3 AFL flags then that would be 11 flags already for the merged entity n they would be counted as challenging for number 12 yesterday.
Yeah that’s what I was hoping TM, but I swear I saw after the PF , on the Ch7 broadcast a table showing:

COL. 15
BL. 3

When I talk to some friends of ‘old Fitzroy” or even other ‘supporters “ they agree with my thinking .

If BL won yesterday that would have been 8 as Fitzroy Lions and 4 as BL, so combined = 12 Premierships.

The bringing up of the Port Adelaide example, for me is different. They are not a merged side.

PA was a seperate ‘entity’ who joined the AFL.

Fitzroy was a merged club that eventually was known as Brisbane Lions.

Plenty make reference to this.

Calling of ‘arms’ for the old Fitzroy club!

That’s not only Waiting’s opinion, but quite a few.

—————-

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
South Melb literally moved to Sydney whereas Fitzroy died and some players were kept for the Bears.
Yep. They took 8 players. Johnson the only one of note to kick on. Jarrod Malloy was OK. (Brad Boyd was a young star in that 8 but was cruelled by injury)

IMO the name is everything. They were no longer Fitzroy. They died.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Hats off to the Lions, they went better yesterday than I thought they would.

Yeah that’s what I was hoping TM, but I swear I saw after the PF , on the Ch7 broadcast a table showing:

COL. 15
BL. 3

When I talk to some friends of ‘old Fitzroy” or even other ‘supporters “ they agree with my thinking .

If BL won yesterday that would have been 8 as Fitzroy Lions and 4 as BL, so combined = 12 Premierships.

The bringing up of the Port Adelaide example, for me is different. They are not a merged side.

PA was a seperate ‘entity’ who joined the AFL.

Fitzroy was a merged club that eventually was known as Brisbane Lions.

Plenty make reference to this.

Calling of ‘arms’ for the old Fitzroy club!

That’s not only Waiting’s opinion, but quite a few.

—————-
Whenever my Carlton, Essendon (and
Collingwood) friends bleat about winning the most Grand Finals, I always say 'Oh, AFL grand finals?'

They say 'Uh... VFL/AFL.'

And I say 'Well VFL grand finals don't really count do they? You were the best of, what, 8 teams? How many AFL premierships do you have?'

So I think that's the fairest way to do it.

They don't count until we were a national competition.

Whenever my Carlton, Essendon (and
Collingwood) friends bleat about winning the most Grand Finals, I always say 'Oh, AFL grand finals?'

They say 'Uh... VFL/AFL.'

And I say 'Well VFL grand finals don't really count do they? You were the best of, what, 8 teams? How many AFL premierships do you have?'

So I think that's the fairest way to do it.

They don't count until we were a national competition.
I’m hearing Geelong want their VFA flags to count and have been lobbying for a decade.

Didn’t PA want theirs as well from the SANFL?

I’m hearing Geelong want their VFA flags to count and have been lobbying for a decade.

Didn’t PA want theirs as well from the SANFL?
They can both GAGF. The VFA was a completely separate and rival comp to the VFL the SNAFFLE was also a completely separate comp to the VFL.
At least the old VFL morphed and expanded into the comp that is the AFL so the core and the history of the VFL remains the basis of the AFL, with a handful of expansion hybrids thrown in.

Reactions: 4 users
They can both GAGF. The VFA was a completely separate and rival comp to the VFL the SNAFFLE was also a completely separate comp to the VFL.
At least the old VFL morphed and expanded into the comp that is the AFL so the core and the history of the VFL remains the basis of the AFL, with a handful of expansion hybrids thrown in.
So true TM and most eloquently said. ( GAGF) 😉

• Haha
Interesting scroll of Wikipedia...
Swans: same entity...name change from sth melb to Sydney...
South flags remain.
Brisbane Lions considered a new entity formed in 96...
Fitzroy flags referred to in a separate section...
If I remember correctly...
And old Fitzroy fans can clarify...
When the merger took place...
All the fitzroy/bears history (equates to no bears history) was supposed to firm part of the new entity....eg...flags...gf appearance...brownlow medallists etc...
At least that was the rhetoric at the time...
How history evolves over time....

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting scroll of Wikipedia...
Swans: same entity...name change from sth melb to Sydney...
South flags remain.
Brisbane Lions considered a new entity formed in 96...
Fitzroy flags referred to in a separate section...
If I remember correctly...
And old Fitzroy fans can clarify...
When the merger took place...
All the fitzroy/bears history (equates to no bears history) was supposed to firm part of the new entity....eg...flags...gf appearance...brownlow medallists etc...
At least that was the rhetoric at the time...
How history evolves over time....
Exactly jltiger!

That was why this thread started.

BL even though the AFL & my old Fitzroy friends believed there was a combining of the histories. The Brisbane Bears was a joke. BL formed.
A call to all ‘old Fitzroy’ supporters, yet before the GF , their tally stood at 3, not their combined tallies.
RORT. Typical AFL.

Song is the same.
Jumper colours.
Emblem of the Lion. Etc etc.

What is the Brisbane Lions theme song based on?

La Marseillaise

The club's team song, “The Pride of Brisbane Town”, is based on the Fitzroy club song, and is sung to the music of “La Marseillaise”, the French national anthem.

The lyrics to the original Fitzroy song might have since changed to reflect the Club’s merged identity, but the tune and spirit behind it lives on today through the Brisbane Lions.

Sad for those friends of mine who see BL as not a seperate entity but a continuation of their old Fitzroy club.

😢😢😢😢

Attachments

• D530F3BC-CF3B-490E-8510-570424B1F7DC.jpeg
    D530F3BC-CF3B-490E-8510-570424B1F7DC.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 97E54E59-EF19-48AA-8A3F-E67948E2CC97.jpeg
    97E54E59-EF19-48AA-8A3F-E67948E2CC97.jpeg
    306.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Exactly jltiger!

That was why this thread started.

BL even though the AFL & my old Fitzroy friends believed there was a combining of the histories. The Brisbane Bears was a joke. BL formed.
A call to all ‘old Fitzroy’ supporters, yet before the GF , their tally stood at 3, not their combined tallies.
RORT. Typical AFL.

Song is the same.
Jumper colours.
Emblem of the Lion. Etc etc.

Sad for those friends of mine who see BL as not a seperate entity but a continuation of their old Fitzroy club.

😢😢😢😢
Yep. Sad...
I guess still a better result than if I remember correctly.........
North Melbourne/Fitzroy Kangaroos...

While retro 80s/90s VFL/AFL merchandise is getting reproduced and sold by clubs nowadays, any chance the old 'UP YOURS OAKLEY' bumper sticker could make a comeback?

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Yep. Sad...
I guess still a better result than if I remember correctly.........
North Melbourne/Fitzroy Kangaroos...
Or I think the failed Hawks & Melb.

Don Scott put an end to that merger.

I think it almost went through.

Or the other one.

Carlton & Kangaroos? Think at the time Carlton owned shares in North?

Testing the depths of my memory.

I didn't mind Fitzroy especially after that elimination final win over Essendon.
But ever since the old codger has gone to Brisbane, I hate them

While retro 80s/90s VFL/AFL merchandise is getting reproduced and sold by clubs nowadays, any chance the old 'UP YOURS OAKLEY' bumper sticker could make a comeback?
Always wondered why so many Ray Bans fans had these bumper stickers, fairly elitist wank fest over sunnies brands.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Or I think the failed Hawks & Melb.

Don Scott put an end to that merger.

I think it almost went through.

Or the other one.

Carlton & Kangaroos? Think at the time Carlton owned shares in North?

Testing the depths of my memory.
Yes they did.