Fixturing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fixturing

Panthera Tigris

Tiger Champion
Apr 27, 2010
I feel like I have been living on a different planet. It's been that long (due to the COVID years) that I have been to Melbourne watch a match. Hence don't look at the fixture as much as I used to, to preplan trips to games. And therefore I didn't realise this season the league is still running with flexible fixturing. As in, the fixture not predetermined. I was looking at bringing the kids to Melbourne to watch the Tiges play during the winter school holidays. But makes it hard to prebook while flights are cheap now, because all of those rounds during that time are currently deemed "TBD". The time and day are not set. Round 18-19 are the two weeks I was looking at. Anyone know how far in advance the AFL actually sets the final timing of these matches?

Last edited:

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i know, I have a similar problem. I am hoping to do Port Adelaide Away in R21, but i can't book flights until i know the match times. I am thinking of tacking it on to the end of a few days in North QLD... I also wanna know the match time of Brisbane the week before. I'd like to leave on a Sunday if possible.

FWIW, rounds 12-15 was announced on April 27. If they're consistent, they will announce Rounds 16-19 in another 2 weeks, but won't announce Rounds 20-23 for another 6 weeks.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
I'm also looking to plan a trip to Melbourne later in the season but can't do anything at this point. Also the Gold Coast game is generally a good trip for Vic supporters to migrate north for a winter week but can't plan that either.

IMO one of the first things the new CEO needs to *smile* off is this flexible fixture. It started as a covid measure but now it is to appease the broadcasters at the expense of attendees.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If they're trying to appease broadcasters you have to wonder why they've given Essendon three consecutive Friday night games.

• Haha

footballmonk

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 7, 2008
Unfortunately this is one of those things that happens overseas, therefore must be applied to our game (‘best international practice’, etc).

In the EPL games are generally moved for TV 1-2 months in advance. The difference is, of course, is that the distances are much shorter so there won’t be nearly as many people flying in for games. Plus the vast majority of time slots for weekend games are on a Saturday or Sunday, not spread from Thursday to Sunday.

I’ve been to watch Richmond on the Gold Coast a couple of times and being able to plan ahead we’ve always been able to get a decent deal on flights. Now it’s more likely to be similar to when we played Brisbane in the prelim and we had to spend a small fortune on getting up there.

Let’s hope the new CEO is looking for something to give them instant popularity and the axing of the flexible fixture is it

Darth Tiger

The Sash is Back
Nov 24, 2004
Victoria
Unfortunately this is one of those things that happens overseas, therefore must be applied to our game (‘best international practice’, etc).

In the EPL games are generally moved for TV 1-2 months in advance. The difference is, of course, is that the distances are much shorter so there won’t be nearly as many people flying in for games. Plus the vast majority of time slots for weekend games are on a Saturday or Sunday, not spread from Thursday to Sunday.

I’ve been to watch Richmond on the Gold Coast a couple of times and being able to plan ahead we’ve always been able to get a decent deal on flights. Now it’s more likely to be similar to when we played Brisbane in the prelim and we had to spend a small fortune on getting up there.

Let’s hope the new CEO is looking for something to give them instant popularity and the axing of the flexible fixture is it
not if Travis 'i set up Gold Coast for success' Auld gets the CEO gig.

• Dislike
  • Sad

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Im actually moving back home after 20 years abroad, mostly in Shanghai so you can understand from the news why im coming home.

Grew up in Caulfield but moving to Noosa, we have a 2 week window in Melbourne in July before heading up north for school semester start, cant plan a bloody thing, disappointing as my 13 year old is a member and a keen tiger, would love to go to a game, we will get to training either way so he can meet or at least see his idols (Trent and Jack). Also a great opportunity to get the 5 year old more onboard :)

Reactions: 2 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
Im actually moving back home after 20 years abroad, mostly in Shanghai so you can understand from the news why im coming home.

Grew up in Caulfield but moving to Noosa, we have a 2 week window in Melbourne in July before heading up north for school semester start, cant plan a bloody thing, disappointing as my 13 year old is a member and a keen tiger, would love to go to a game, we will get to training either way so he can meet or at least see his idols (Trent and Jack). Also a great opportunity to get the 5 year old more onboard :)
Sound parenting strategy TT74!

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i mean, i can try predicting match times based on likely run to the finals:

R16 v West Coast (h): Sunday 1pm.
R17 v Gold Coast (a): Saturday arvo or Saturday twilight.
R18 v Norf (a): Sunday 1pm
R19 v Freo (h): Saturday Night.
R20 v Brisbane (h): Saturday Night.
R21: v Port (a): Saturday arvo or Saturday twilight.
R22: v Hawthorn (h): Saturday arvo
R23: v Essendon (a): Saturday arvo

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
I feel like I have been living on a different planet. It's been that long (due to the COVID years) that I have been to Melbourne watch a match. Hence don't look at the fixture as much as I used to, to preplan trips to games. And therefore I didn't realise this season the league is still running with flexible fixturing. As in, the fixture not predetermined. I was looking at bringing the kids to Melbourne to watch the Tiges play during the winter school holidays. But makes it hard to prebook while flights are cheap now, because all of those rounds during that time are currently deemed "TBD". The time and day are not set. Round 18-19 are the two weeks I was looking at. Anyone know how far in advance the AFL actually sets the final timing of these matches?

Agree and yeah it’s crap.

I would also plan travel and work around the footy where I could so when I travelled to Melb park I could maximise the games I could see live - now I don’t even bother, it’s not worth it.