Joel Bowden | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Joel Bowden

Walster

I am Walstero the most beautiful man in the world
Aug 13, 2003
I simply cannot beleive all this talk of trading Bowden. What are we going to trade him for? Another Dud. Perhaps another draft pick. What does everyone want a team of youngsters with no experience around them. Thats not the way to build a team. They would be carved up, lose all confidence and you would be left with absolutely nothing. You dont throw out the water because it wont boil, you get a new kettle. If Wallace (and I use him as an example) could get the best out of the bullies with some ordinary cattle what then could he do with the Bowdens of this team and I speak of Richo as well. A half decent coach would turn some of these blokes around overnight. As Malthouse said in his press conference yesterday if you cant turn a side around in three years then something is wrong with the coach or the recruiting. I wonder who that sounds like? Get youngsters by all means but dont trade away the best we got to get them. Bowden showed what he could do last week when there was some passion involved and we all know what Richo can do when he is on song. Lets get a coach that can motivate, instill confidence and give clear direction and leadership and then the Bowdens of this team will blossom and success will come sooner than you think. That is IMHO the only way to go.

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
I'd put Bowden in the tradable category if the price is right. I cant see great value in swapping him for Brown but if there was another incentive and the Bulldogs would throw in a first round draft pick it becomes a good deal IMO.

P

PuntRoadRoar

one week of good footy doesnt cut it with me anymore...

Bowden is a big girls blouse and needs to be offloaded, Richmond needs to move forward and in the words of danny dudley.."we need to put our best foot forward".... thats means bowden needs to go so we can get a decent draft pick for our future.

I still remember bowden ducking his head in a contest in the round 16 game against collingwood and if that doesnt show the world what he is really made of than nothing will...........

P

PuntRoadRoar

as for danny dudley he should follow bowden out the door aswell....as malthouse said "if you cant turn things around in 3 years then something is wrong"....our problem is the talent on our list AND the coach.

Walster

Aug 13, 2003
Yeah ....lets trade Bowden for another Petifer. ::)

P

PuntRoadRoar

or

lets trade bowden for a pick for another coughlan ;D

Walster

Aug 13, 2003
What I wonder is would Cogs still be at Richmond if the club had of been travelling alright last year. He only got a (last?) chance because there was no hope of making the finals. So in Frawleys mind he wasnt good enough if we had a chance of finals footy.

P

PuntRoadRoar

Walster i dont disagree with you that Frawley is a DUD and should pack his bags...but bowden is not good enough or hard enough no matter who coaches him.

Walster

Aug 13, 2003
Thats a fair enough call PRR but I would hate to have him play against us if he did turn it around under a decent coach.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Tahts crap. coughlan played some games in 2001 and then a few while we were going ok in 2002. I have no doubt they saw him as a future midfielder they jsut decided to hasten his development. I belive he would stil lbe with us and probably playing jsut as well. You make your own luck.

nwonash

Tiger Champion
Aug 10, 2003
Melbourne
For the right player, I'd trade Powerpuff Bowen.

There isnt too many players who other clubs would be interested it.

Just look at Bowdens hardness (not there), does Bowden put in the good games when needed (no). Can Bowden hit a target (rarely).

If the right player came along, why not.

Nathan Brown for Bowden, I'd jump at it

Walster

Aug 13, 2003
Thats crap is it Shawry. Did I say he didnt play any games? He played quite a few running off the bench and getting a few stats and then back to the reserves. It was only when given game time that he got confidence and proved his worth. I think it was said at the time that players would be given a chance to see IF they had what it took. So up to then I doubt if they really knew at all. Besides all that I beleive I have a right to voice an opinion without being told its crap!!!!

PMac

This sure beats workin'
Dec 17, 2002
Sydney
While I get as frustrated an everybody else at Bowdens clangers I simply dont understand those people so keen to off load him, especially because appartently he's not as hard as Cogs, thats just dumb football.

Look at the lions midfield, on song its pretty much the best going around and one thing you'll note is that its not stacked to the hilt with inside hard men. Yes there's a couple, and one of the all time greats (IMO) in Voss but there's also a fair number of outside nancy boys like Lappin, Akermanis and Black that couldnt win a contested possession in the half time Auskick match.

However, the combination of insider and outsiders, guys to get the ball and other to take it off them is right. In Tivendale, Bowden and Johnson our outside list is about right, however with just Cogs and an injured Campo our decent insiders are low. Yes we need more insiders but we need to keep the outside guys as well.

Football is a team game where the team needs all its parts (including namby pamby recievers). Trying to impart some kind of tough guy morality on the playing list where we have no outsiders might make us feel good but wont win us a flag.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
That's a pretty hard call on Black, Pmac - he's pretty hard at it. I'd put him in the in-and-under category rather than outside runner anyway. Don't forget they've got the Scott boys, Pike, Brown etc as fair back-up. Lots of big bodies up Brisbane way.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Why should we have to put up with middle of the pack midfielders. I think newman would make a better midfielder than Bowden.

As for anyone who says Bowden played well when there was a bit of emotion, I ask you this.... Where was his emotion when we needed to win games 6 weeks ago to make the finals. No where. Get rid of him. I taskes a Club legend to die before he plays with any passion.

P

PuntRoadRoar

totally agree balmy army...

and bowden isnt a run with player....he is a run no where player.

Tivendale is our run with player and at the moment bowden makes tiva look like a superstar.

Walster

Aug 13, 2003
I give up....its all Bowdens fault that the club is travelling this bad. I wonder if you were calling for Tivas head last year when he was having a shocker???

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Walstar: IMO the coaching staff had always pinpointed Coughlan for hte midfield roles. Having got injuries both preseasons wihtout much gamer time for Coburg he was brought into the lineup. Sure he spenta bit of time on the bench and didnt exactly star (notthat it is easy to do fof the bench), but they were grooming him for a midfield role and not rushing him. Luckily for Cogs he could handle getting thrust straight in (notice they pickedhim to go straight in rather than others drafted at the same time) as they felt he could handle it with his body size etc and the way he goes about it. He shone from htere having a bit of faith put in him.

Sorry Walstar you cannot handle someone disagreeing wiht your assessment.

As for Bowden no it is not all his fault, he does get plenty of the ball which is a plus but he is jsut plain stupid with his decision making on the field on the most part. Needs ot work on this. HE is partly to blame, not fully though.

BalmyArmy

Tiger Superstar
Jul 15, 2003
Melbourne
Walster said:
I give up....its all Bowdens fault that the club is travelling this bad. I wonder if you were calling for Tivas head last year when he was having a shocker???

No, it's not all Bowdens fault. I agree, but when talking about Bowden I believe we are better off without him.

And in regards to Tiva, yeah he had a shocker last year, but credit to him for lifting that next step. He has had one bad year. How many chances does Bowden need? Another 3 year contract to make him feel even more comfortable. C'mon Walster, we've all watched him. On his day he can just be amazing, but those days are too few and far apart. Similar to Richo in many ways, but at least Richo has a dip, wears his heart on his sleeve, has probably too much emotion, and is easily our most marketable player.

Sorry mate, but hopefully it's bye bye Joel.

Walster

Aug 13, 2003
Shawry I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, if I had do you think I would of put up a post in favour of Bowden knowing a lot of people were going to disagree with me. As far as Coughlan goes I have a different opion to you but I dont tell you yours is crap. I am just glad that he is playing with us and not somewhere else.