Florida terrorist massacre | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Florida terrorist massacre

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
antman said:
50 people die and Lee feels it's a good time to score points.

I didn't see the guns thread being bumped and didn't think discussion belonged under "Brussels terror attack" or "Terrorist attacks in Paris". Nor does it necessarily belong in the guns thread.

Carry on. :)

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
A homophobe in Australia sees what happened in Orlando and thinks it would be a good idea to do the same thing here. Problem is that assault weapons are hard to get in Australia.

Therein lies the biggest problem in the US. It's not homophobes or muslims .....it's guns

Until they realise it this will continue.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Sintiger said:
A homophobe in Australia sees what happened in Orlando and thinks it would be a good idea to do the same thing here. Problem is that assault weapons are hard to get in Australia.

Therein lies the biggest problem in the US. It's not homophobes or muslims .....it's guns

Until they realise it this will continue.

too true. from reports he was a guy with serious psychiatric issues. he aligned himself to every violent muslim group he could, including at least one that was fighting isis then at some point he got access to gun, not sure whether legally or not, and went out and shot a lot of people.
it is more likely that his mental illness and lack of adequate treatment, combined with his access to firearms that contributed more to this massacre than his religion.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Brodders17 said:
too true. from reports he was a guy with serious psychiatric issues. he aligned himself to every violent muslim group he could, including at least one that was fighting isis then at some point he got access to gun, not sure whether legally or not, and went out and shot a lot of people.
it is more likely that his mental illness and lack of adequate treatment, combined with his access to firearms that contributed more to this massacre than his religion.
From what I heard he got the weapons legally , maybe with the help of his wife as well. Yep, let's put the NRA in charge. Seriously ?

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Sintiger said:
From what I heard he got the weapons legally , maybe with the help of his wife as well. Yep, let's put the NRA in charge. Seriously ?

He was also screened by the FBI and the international UK security company he worked for. And passed

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
tigersnake said:
He was also screened by the FBI and the international UK security company he worked for. And passed

Which underlines the difficulty of identifying dangerous persons. He broke no laws during the three months that the FBI had him under surveillance. US law forced them to stop watching when the three months was up.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Which underlines the difficulty of identifying dangerous persons. He broke no laws during the three months that the FBI had him under surveillance. US law forced them to stop watching when the three months was up.

which also underlines the ineffectiveness of expensive homeland security

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Just monitor everyone all the time. And put Muslims on double watch. Problem solved.

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
tigersnake said:
which also underlines the ineffectiveness of expensive homeland security

I'm not sure how you can draw this conclusion. I have no idea how many 'successes' homeland security has in its monitoring program. However, we do get to hear about the 'failures'. However, he was profiled, monitored and let go. He may have been smart or just lucky.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
lukeanddad said:
I'm not sure how you can draw this conclusion. I have no idea how many 'successes' homeland security has in its monitoring program. However, we do get to hear about the 'failures'. However, he was profiled, monitored and let go. He may have been smart or just lucky.

They're portraying this guy as out of control, a wife-beater with a hatred of minorities. If true you'd think over a three-month period he'd give the FBI some reason to bring him in. Like the false belief that serial killers must surely stand out in some way through appearance or behaviour, they are expert at blending in, at projecting normality.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
so a white man kills a British politician screaming "Britain First" has not been labelled as a terrorist in the UK media while a non-white man (or at least a man with a middle eastern sounding name) kills a bunch of gays in what is clearly a hate crime, but the right wing media cannot jump up quick enough to label him a terrorist. you can only laugh.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
There's been some reports about the Orlando shooter and his "religious" views on the west and Islam.

martyshire

^^ Jack Graham that is
Aug 11, 2007
Rowville...or maybe London
Ian4 said:
so a white man kills a British politician screaming "Britain First" has not been labelled as a terrorist in the UK media while a non-white man (or at least a man with a middle eastern sounding name) kills a bunch of gays in what is clearly a hate crime, but the right wing media cannot jump up quick enough to label him a terrorist. you can only laugh.
Yep, the PM too. Disgraceful.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Ian4 said:

It's terrorism in the sense that it was apparently done for a cause. Different in the sense that the right-wing party whose name the man yelled during the attack has dissociated itself from his actions and strongly denounced them, as any civilised person would.

Apparently the man has a history of mental illness. At least there will be a trial and his motives will be understood.