Footy Classified | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy Classified

Berwick boy

Tiger Superstar
Apr 27, 2004

Why are these players playing?’: Cornes turns blowtorch on Tigers​

Kane Cornes has taken a blowtorch to Richmond, declaring several players shouldn’t be in their team after a dismal loss to start the season.

2 min read
March 12, 2024 - 8:34AM

Kane Cornes has called out several senior Richmond players and urged the Tigers to embrace a full rebuild after a lacklustre loss in Opening Round.
Gold Coast defeated Richmond by 39 points at Heritage Bank Stadium on Saturday in an emphatic statement for new Suns coach Damien Hardwick against his old side.
Watch every game of every round this Toyota AFL Premiership Season LIVE with no ad-breaks during play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial today >
The Suns are aiming to make finals for the first time since joining the AFL in 2011, while Richmond are tipped to slide down the ladder again this year with their premiership dynasty in the rear-view mirror.
Speaking on Nine’s Footy Classified, Cornes showed replays of senior Richmond players Jayden Short, Dion Prestia, Dylan Grimes and Tim Taranto missing tackles and turning the ball over in the loss to Gold Coast.
“(Jayden) Short can’t be missing that tackle 13 minutes into the season,” Cornes said.
“This is him again, a senior player. That’s rubbish.
“There’s no game style a coach can come up with, for Prestia to kick it to the opposition under no pressure from 20 metres away.
“Taranto’s got his issues. Grimes the former captain kicking it out on the full in Round 1 and giving away a 50m (penalty).

“I was disappointed in the efforts of some of the senior players. If you’re going to get those efforts from senior players, they’ve got no hope from the young ones.”
Richmond are in for a tough year. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

Richmond are in for a tough year. (Photo by Dylan Burns/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
Cornes put Jayden Short under the microscope. (Photo by Russell Freeman/AFL Photos via Getty Images)

Cornes put Jayden Short under the microscope. (Photo by Russell Freeman/AFL Photos via Getty Images)
Cornes said new Tigers coach Adem Yze would have a decision to make over a group of fringe players and veterans including Kamdyn McIntosh, Grimes, Marlion Pickett, Jacob Koschitzke, Sam Naismith and Nathan Broad.
“I don’t know why any of these players are playing,” Cornes said.
“What benefit is the club getting from playing these players?
“What’s the point? Play the youth, take the pressure off the club, do what Hawthorn have done and reset and go to the draft and rebuild from the bottom up.
“Which young players at the Tigers are you excited about?
New Richmond coach Adem Yze has some work to do. Pic: Michael Klein

New Richmond coach Adem Yze has some work to do. Pic: Michael Klein
Caroline Wilson pointed out Richmond giving up four draft picks to recruit Taranto and Jacob Hopper from GWS in 2022 delayed a fully fledged rebuild and ensured the Tigers would be in the AFL’s no-man’s land for some time.
Wilson said: “Isn’t Damien Hardwick at fault here? For pushing for Hopper and Taranto. For thinking they could make finals last April and then spitting the dummy after losing to Essendon.”
Cornes added: “This was on the cards for two years. I can’t believe no one saw this coming, particularly Damien Hardwick

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
R8bbo wants to know what Bolton did in the remaining 99 minutes of the game. Because it only took him 15 seconds to kick 3.
This is the shiit that gets me angry.
The one that really gave me the *smile* was where he had a go at Hopper ,in his “Dislikes”, where he went to pick up the ball off the ground. Said he kept his head down and ran into Swallow, gaining a cheap free. I don’t know how else to pick up the ball from the ground while moving forward without bending down unless a player had telescopic arms. But the thing that really pissed me off was in his “Likes” column praising Rowell for his great game ( and yes, he did have a great one), but not mentioning ANY of the many times he did it

Reactions: 5 users

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Play the youth, take the pressure off the club, do what Hawthorn have done and reset and go to the draft and rebuild from the bottom up.
He does know the Hawks just recruited Gunston, yeah? and Chol?
And played the likes of Amon, Bruest, Impey and Frost every game last year? And re-signed Wingard?

Reactions: 4 users

Ralphie

Tiger Rookie
Dec 6, 2015
The chief bought another house around the corner according to Richo

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Cornes is a goose. Everyone is a star after a win, everyone should be sacked after a loss. Do what Hawthorn have done? What have they done exactly? How long since their last flag compared to ours? Has he forgotten Mitchell/ O'Meara/ Wingard etc?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Cornes is a goose. Everyone is a star after a win, everyone should be sacked after a loss. Do what Hawthorn have done? What have they done exactly? How long since their last flag compared to ours? Has he forgotten Mitchell/ O'Meara/ Wingard etc?
Amon??
Gunstan??
Chol??
Impey??

Ports trash goes straight to VFL park

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
I wish we wouldn't give Cornes such oxygen.
*smile*.him.
Straight sets Port.
They are apprantly not worried about the prison bar jumper this year.
They are on the verge of signing Slazenger and Wilson.
Only Port go 6-0 6-0 in September