Footy to Return | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy to Return

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
What a load of BS.

If this Covid WORLD HEALTH CATASTROPHE business is so bloody dire and desperate that we cant go Stand Up Paddle Boarding, Kayaking, Wind Surfing or swimming alone in the middle of the bay which is a hundred times more isolated than 6 people standing near each other in a aisle in Coles, or only two customers in the Bakers Delight Shop how this stunt will be allowed is beyond me.

If they aren't playing footy till the end of July just forget about it till next year seriously FFS.!!!

I don't want tokenism, contrived games,contrived rules contrived changes just so they can keep the Corporate overlords happy, in fact I'm already over it to be truthful and am actually no longer interested in the footy coming back this year, if it aint the real thing I don't want it.

TV broadcasters pushing this they want their pound of flesh.

Just let it go and have a longer more equitable season next year.
Totally agree

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Who knows where we'll be in 100 days. Nobody guessed on January 6 that we'd be here.

Good to set goals, but it's largely out of the AFL's control.

Reactions: 3 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
It’s not great but we should be ok. We have a great list, although it seems like Bacha may not be there.
Maybe our situation will bring Rancey back?
Players salaries will return to 70% with our bottom line also improving. More to the point flag is ours for the taking. Gotta love that.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Tiger v Copyingwood not being played in Melbourne!!!!
There will obviously be no crowds, otherwise the AFL's head honcho Eddie McGuire wouldn't have a bar of it.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
with people stuck at home and bored out of their brains any football will have a massive tv audience

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Seven West Media shares were trading at 7¢ a week or so ago, which gives you some idea about how much they need footy, especially with the Olympics postponed.

Reactions: 1 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Players been told footy will return on 24th July against the Pies . Games will not be in Melbourne . Players to be in “ hub” for 8 week blocks
First 2 week in quarantine of each block

Ironically the same day i was due to fly out to europe

I am 100% against this "footy hub" idea. Although I am starting to think a July start is looking less ambitious and more of a possibility.

Wont happen.
July/August will be the peak of Cv in Australia.

I'm not so sure of that. I'm starting to believe we are over the worst of it.

I think if they do end up playing games in quarantine stations around Australia it will come back and bite them on the ass.
People will be put off.

but this i agree with. it will just increase the perception that money and TV are more important than fans.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
I'm not so sure of that. I'm starting to believe we are over the worst of it.
but this i agree with. it will just increase the perception that money and TV are more important than fans.
We are only over the worst of it if we can completely eradicate it and keep borders virus-proof.

And by July 24th we'll be grateful for any new forms of entertainment and topics of conversation. Especially if Collingwood nearly win a premiership, Essendon fail to win a final, and Geelong still don't get to host us at Krapdinia Park.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
with people stuck at home and bored out of their brains any football will have a massive tv audience
Not so sure about that. Plenty of replays to watch from various sources atm and as many have said, if it's not the real thing then forget it. I watched the no-crowd tigers game Rd1 but lost interest in the others. Would not watch any more games like that. Try again next year after testing is more widely available and we have this thing under control. We don't just want a flattening of the curve, we need a very small number new infections per day. That could be 12 months. In the U.S. it will be longer.

Last edited:

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
It’s a way off, but I’ll believe it when I see it. I’m eager to see some live sport, but this will be a bit like a massively long pre season comp.

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Not so sure about that. Plenty of replays to watch from various sources atm and as many have said, if it's not the real thing then forget it. I watched the no-crowd tigers game Rd1 but lost interest in the others. Would not watch any more games like that. Try again next year after testing is more widely available and we have this thing under control. We don't just want a flattening of the curve, we need a very small number new infections per day. That could be 12 months. In the U.S. it will be longer.
What a gloomy picture you paint Tigermike, but nevertheless most likely right on the mark, so to speak.

The US is a basket case, which is probably making the you know who country very happy and pleased.

As for us, I personally don't expect any footy this year and wonder about how it will look in 12 months time and into the future.

Now, I am being gloomy as well.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
What a load of BS.

If this Covid WORLD HEALTH CATASTROPHE business is so bloody dire and desperate that we cant go Stand Up Paddle Boarding, Kayaking, Wind Surfing or swimming alone in the middle of the bay which is a hundred times more isolated than 6 people standing near each other in a aisle in Coles, or only two customers in the Bakers Delight Shop how this stunt will be allowed is beyond me.

If they aren't playing footy till the end of July just forget about it till next year seriously FFS.!!!

I don't want tokenism, contrived games,contrived rules contrived changes just so they can keep the Corporate overlords happy, in fact I'm already over it to be truthful and am actually no longer interested in the footy coming back this year, if it aint the real thing I don't want it.

TV broadcasters pushing this they want their pound of flesh.

Just let it go and have a longer more equitable season next year.

Post of year :clap1

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Collingwood cannot win Grand Finals in September and only win them under special circumstances (thanks Saint Failure for 2010).'

Therefore they will likely win any Grand Final out of September so its a HUUUUUUGGGEEEE NO from me :))

You forgot 1990
They won it October after the draw against WC at VFL park.
If they dont draw a final they wont win one.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
So, a November 28 GF then?

I just booked my flight to Melbourne.

cost be $0.75 each way.

I think 8 week hub idea is fine.

blokes go on oil rigs for a month, on tour with bands and sports teams for months, to war for months,

these blokes get paid to put on a show. most of them want to put on a show. none of them want a 70% pay cut.

bounce the *smile* ball.

What a load of BS.

I think if you isolated for 2 week IN and OUT of paddle boarding or bakers delight, you could tongue kiss the paddler/customer next to you and be socially/morally/biologically/legally pretty sweet wouldn't you?

FWIW, The only bakers delight I'm interested in, is Liam watching Stackman take speccys

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Not a sheedy fan,but his idea to play extra games is a no brainer, allow 6 on the bench,get extra revenue in ,maybe more than previous years by playing 25-28 games,16 minute quarters,scrap practice matches,play more early in the season,start 2 weeks earlier than normal,that alone gets u 25 rounds ,great idea to make up or increase revenue to higher levels than even previous.