Footy to Return | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Footy to Return

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Lol. The players are required to: Sit 1.5 meters apart on the bench; can’t high five; must socially distance during the team song.....Yet they will be tackling and laying into each other for 4 quarters :rotfl1:rotfl1. This gets more hilarious with every passing day.

Reactions: 2 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
I won't be counting it. Season is far too compromised. In these unprecedented circumstances best team often doesn't win it anyway.
As you said, the events unprecedented; how can you then say 'the best team often doesn't win anyway?' A season is a season. It really doesn't matter whether you think it is compromised or not, because it most certainly will count as a premiership.

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Watch us in 2021 when the real AFL season starts again and we pick up where we left off in 2019.
It's a big assumption that 2021 won't be affected. That's only 9 months away. One thing that all the people pissing on the AFL's efforts to get going should keep in mind - 'normal' could be gone for a long time and if we were to wait until the 'end' of this, there may not be a league left to watch.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
A AFl season only remains solvent due to Media & associated sportswear etc etc contracts. No footy no moolah from the Media which is the mainstay of AFL revenue.. The AFL want to play even if it is a bastardised form of the game that the AFl community will just have to put up with. The players want to play as most are mortgaged to the hilt well beyond their means if salary slashed. Time for AFL to toughen up, cut your losses, cancel the season & start afresh 2021.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
18 clubs all in the same situation - it's a premiership.

Still have qualms about this from various perspectives, but if the season goes ahead and finishes then it is a flag.

DS

PS: mind you if Collingwood win I'll still claim it is all very compromised, not real etc in public ;)

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I was thinking we might be one of the teams more advantaged to this season ,

I think there will be less practice time for sides and coaches to adjust / change gameplans,

it will be a bit more just get out there and play whats in front of you with less preparation

And with us , what we do well is already installed , good onfield leaders right across the field ,

Im expecting us to be good to go

Coburgtiger

Tiger Champion
May 7, 2012
If we win it, it would be hard for anyone to argue that the best side of the last 3 years wouldn't have won it this year anyway.

Different story if it's Collingwood, etc.

We're basically the only side that wouldn't have an asterisk.

Reactions: 5 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I'd imagine most of the compliance at local level will be done by the governing bodies who'll then provide local clubs and players with simple instructions.

2 of the biggest issues local footy are going to have are firstly getting everyone back on board, having confidence that it's a safe environment.

Also, the council who controls our local club took back the keys to every community facility at the very first moment stay home measures were introduced.

The expectation is that the rules they put in place as to usage and especially cleaning regimes will, frankly be deemed too hard for the already overworked volunteers to comply with.

Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
We don't have to worry about Essendon winning it.

It's funny, I work with a mad keen bomber supporter, he actually said he is disappointed as it's likely they will be top 4 this year and he won't be able to attend a game. We are having him tested for *smile*-20.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
I don't like the suggested rules. it’s looking more and more like we won't need midweek games, so we don't need 16 min quarters. 60 seconds after a goal is clearly designed for TV networks to get more advertising revenue and drag out game coverage.

But I'm starting to get more confident crowds will return in some form later in the year. if pubs are opening in 2 weeks, why not footy? part of me wonders if the state govt has already told the AFL that they'll allow crowds to return later on if there is no second wave. I mean, why else would they be so insistent on a late October GF, when they can theoretically drag the season out for another 4-6 weeks?

And if that’s the case and we make the GF, it’ll be interesting to see if “priority 1” members are still entitled to tickets if capacity is limited to 30,000. surely members will get priority over the corporates for once?

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If we win it, it would be hard for anyone to argue that the best side of the last 3 years wouldn't have won it this year anyway.

Different story if it's Collingwood, etc.

We're basically the only side that wouldn't have an asterisk.

Good argument. I'll be sure to use that no matter the outcome.

Baron Samedi

Tiger Champion
Apr 20, 2016
This year is a hit and run mission.

best organised, most confident, fastest offensive team wins.

tick, tick, mother****in’ tick.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
The expectation is that the rules they put in place as to usage and especially cleaning regimes will, frankly be deemed too hard for the already overworked volunteers to comply with.

Totally agree with this. I'm involved in grass roots soccer and cricket, and the noises around return to play sound onerous and, to be honest, a bit pointless.

For starters, the FFV guidelines for a return to soccer training include the likes of no heading of the ball, no touching of the ball with hands (ergo, no side line throws) and no tackling. Balls to be cleaned before and after practice, one person in the toilet block at a time, no sharing of bibs, etc, etc. Then they state it's up to the local council to determine if you can even actually use their facility.

Once matters are in the hands of local councils, a shambles generally ensues. You can't run a metropolitan-wide competition when there will inevitably be different rules in different municipalities.

I reckon you can put a line through organised winter sport, and now that we're only 10 weeks away from pre-season for summer sports such as cricket, there's got to be a question mark over them, too.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Dimma declares this years premierships will be one of the greatest of all time.

I know they have to sell memberships,

but if dimmer says it, its good enough for me.

I like the nullification of all excuse from the outset too.

put the blowtorch on the sooks and squibs before they open their mouths.

I love Dimma.

we're gonna win another *smile* flag.

jeez I hope I can be there.

DeathNinthandTaxes

Richmond 'till we die
Nov 4, 2007
Its looking more likely this years grand final will be a tree falling in the forest...
but if Richmond win the premiership, listen for the sound of one hand clapping...
that will be me, holding a can and cheering like a buddhist at a nirvana concert.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users