Forum Speed [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Forum Speed [Merged]

Re: Forum speed

It all started since the forum website upgrade. The web upgrade is the cause of all this.

Red Sea Tiger said:
It all started since the forum website upgrade. The web upgrade is the cause of all this.

I don't think it's anything to do with it. Can you please give the technical reasoning behind your opinion?

rosy23 said:
I don't think it's anything to do with it. Can you please give the technical reasoning behind your opinion?

Just trying to help. I'd be hammering the web designer though to make sure IT really isn't the cause. Never ever ever ever had an IT system upgrade go to plan. Those guys always find a way to cause grief and then eventually find a way to pin point something else.

Upgrades are almost always fraught with "issues", trust me.

Sorry Red Sea I'd need a more informed comment than that to trust you on this. Our hosts think it's a problem with their server rather than from our end.

Red Sea Tiger said:
Never ever ever ever had an IT system upgrade go to plan. Those guys always find a way to cause grief and then eventually find a way to pin point something else.

What rubbish. We saved the world during Y2K.

Baloo said:
What rubbish. We saved the world during Y2K.

Y2K .............. hehehehehehehehe what a ripper that one was.

Loved that one all the way to the bank.

Apparently 2012 will see the end of the world too.

rosy23 said:
Sorry Red Sea I'd need a more informed comment than that to trust you on this. Our hosts think it's a problem with their server rather than from our end.

Don't let them off that easily Rosy.

Put it to you this way, I have had 3 posts tonight NOT post at all. They disappeared after hitting the "post" button as if they didn't occur.

Handball over to you my dear.

Red Sea Tiger said:
Put it to you this way, I have had 3 posts tonight NOT post at all. They disappeared after hitting the "post" button as if they didn't occur.

Handball over to you my dear.

Condescending comments don't help and neither does ill-informed speculation.

rosy23 said:
Condescending comments don't help and neither does ill-informed speculation.

It's fact Rosy. Nothing condescending about it at all. Can't help you if you do or do not want to focus on feedback from your users. Posts have gone missing when the post button was hit whether you think it is speculation or not.

IF speed is a server issue only then it's easy to fix then. Good luck with that.

Red Sea Tiger said:
It's fact Rosy. Nothing condescending about it at all. Can't help you if you do want to focus on feedback from your users. Posts have gone missing when the post buttons was hit whether you think it is speculation or not.

IF speed is a server issue only then it's easy to fix then. Good luck with that.

Calling me your "dear" is very condescending in the context of this thread.

I am happy for feedback. I'm aware of what's happening to posts. I don't think that was speculation. Your blaming the upgrade of the forum is speculation though, especially if you can't give technical reasons behind it when requested. Speculation and guesswork isn't going to solve our problem unfortunately.

How is the server issue easy to fix? What do they need to do?

rosy23 said:
Calling me your "dear" is very condescending in the context of this thread.

I am happy for feedback. I'm aware of what's happening to posts. I don't think that was speculation. Your blaming the upgrade of the forum is speculation though, especially if you can't give technical reasons behind it when requested. Speculation and guesswork isn't going to solve our problem unfortunately.

How is the server issue easy to fix? What do they need to do?

I take back the My Dear comment.

If the server is the speed issue, then get them to change the server to one that is reliable.

Posts going missing is a completely seperate issue.

In all my career I repeat, I have never ever ever ever had an IT systems upgrade go smoothly. Those guys get away with far too much when it comes to delivering a seamless transition. Never.

Red Sea Tiger said:
In all my career I repeat, I have never ever ever ever had an IT sustems ypgrade go smoothly. Those guys get away with far too much when it comes to delivering a seamless transition. Never.

You need better IT people.

That's not helping the problem at all. It just makes it harder for our hosts to find the genuine comments.

rosy23 said:
That's not helping the problem at all. It just makes it harder for our hosts to find the genuine comments.

Ok then, if they cannot get a reliable server and identify why posts go missing when the post button is hit and you think that is not helping you in pin pointing the problem then, oh well.

Good luck with that Rosy, truly.

Rosy, the site's pacing better now. So even though most are posting quickly, but not as quick as during the game, it must be something to do with that??

I don't think it's to do with posting speed. it was fine the first half and it's fine post game now when there have been over 300 online at once. I haven't heard but I suspect our hosts were monitoring the forum and have made changes.

I don't want to go into detail because I don't really understand it.

The gist is our hosts have moved to a new server with a completely different operating system. The latest apache software works differently to the previous server by defaulting different values to a lot of the parameters that control it. They need to find out what is happening before they can explicitly change them. They have been making changes to the connection restrictions. (Hope that makes sense to some. All gobbledegook to me).

rosy23 said:
I haven't heard but I suspect our hosts were monitoring the forum and have made changes.

That was indeed the case. Hopefully the problem is fixed now.

PRE slow?

Just a quickie here before I move this to the Support board. Is anyone else finding PRE extremely slow this morning? It's snail speed for me but I'm never sure if it's just my computer. Other sites seem ok for me though. Ta,