Fair weather friends are the loneliest friends | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Fair weather friends are the loneliest friends

tigergollywog

Non-Hierarchical Boss Cocky
Feb 4, 2006
Even though I know exactly where this thread will go, Im gonna start it. Cause its got to be said.

Theres a difference between being bitterly disappointed, sad, frustrated, mildly depressed, embarrassed at your team's performance on one hand

And calling for the club to dispand, merge, get *smile*, go broke, go on without 'me'.

I think this has to be said ...... Richmond Football Club isnt about you, or me.

Its a thing greater than all of us. Any of us.

Yeah its hard times. Real hard.

But its not about you. Its an intangible conglomerate of everyone whose every played for it, worked with it, supported it, and sung 'tigerland'.

So can I humbly request you keep the vitriole and hyperbole to yourself? Think it. But dont say it. Its often immensely disrespectful to our culture

Whatever path led us to barrack for the tigers, and whatever's happened in between then and now, we are blessed with a rare privilege. Together, we belong to one of the richest, most complex, nuanced white fella cultures, that money cant buy.

Who amongst us would go back to our own conception and grab hold of the gene for barracking for hawthorn, or sydney, or carlton? Anyone?

Really, what difference does it make if we win or lose?

Sorry TGW, but just as you have the right to say what you want, so do I. You also have the choice to read it or not.

Fair weather players are worse than fair weather friends. I've seen a lot of them over the years. I see no one taking pride in the jumper anymore. It's a crying shame, that one of the guys who tried to stand up and show leadership is in his second year.

Our culture isn't something to be proud of any more. That culture left long ago. Only a very radical attitude will change it, and strong leaders. We don't have either.

The_General said:
That culture left long ago.

Did it? which one?

Ask the old Fitzroy blokes what they miss. I bet they wont say 'winning'

How can culture up and leave?

If you pay for a membership you're a shareholder in the club. These are businesses now, not charities. If your are a paying member, you are well within your right to spew 'vitriol'. That's why we were rubbish in the 90s, a clinging to our past and a fear of modernisation. Give me the WCE culture of the mid 2000s if it means a flag.

When $$$$ get involved. When those old enough to see and experience the last premiership have now got kids and grand kids.

When people half-jokingly ask, if I make my kids barrack for the Tigers, can I get done for child abuse. When the most significant achievement of the last 30 years is a tin rattling campaign that saved us from extinction.

Culture changes. Unfortunately, the "Richos" and "Matty whites" are few and far between. There's no tiger pride any more. It's tiger pity, derision and sympathy. And that's not even our own fan base.

Great post TG.

To answer your second post's question - How can culture up and leave?

Culture is an outcome of a collective attitude IMO.

And the collective attitude of the current team is very poor when compared to those great Tiger sides of the late 60s early 70s and 1980.

Gee there are a lot of people on here telling others what to say and think lately...even presuming to tell them how others would judge them.

Fact is people have different circumstances, different needs, different values. Richmond means different things to different people. Who are others to tell them how to behave or react.

Richmond football club isn't about you or me or any individual. Correct. It would be extinct without us collectively though. People have cough up enormous amounts of money to help save this club and they continue paying.

It's condescending to request people don't post their opinions. It's also somewhat amusing coming from someone who has self-admittedly shown a distinct disregard for the posting guidelines on PRE in expressing their own opinions. The different standards are interesting. :)

rosy23 said:
Gee there are a lot of people on here telling others what to say and think lately...even presuming to tell them how others would judge them.

Fact is people have different circumstances, different needs, different values. Richmond means different things to different people. Who are others to tell them how to behave or react.

Richmond football club isn't about you or me or any individual. Correct. It would be extinct without us collectively though. People have cough up enormous amounts of money to help save this club and they continue paying.

It's condescending to request people don't post their opinions. It's also somewhat amusing coming from someone who has self-admittedly shown a distinct disregard for the posting guidelines on PRE in expressing their own opinions. The different standards are interesting. :)

:clap :clap :clap

RemoteTiger said:
Great post TG.

To answer your second post's question - How can culture up and leave?

Culture is an outcome of a collective attitude IMO.

And the collective attitude of the current team is very poor when compared to those great Tiger sides of the late 60s early 70s and 1980.

Thats kind of my point and it kind of isnt RT.

Yeah, the 60's and 70's were about winning. My old man and his old man did it pretty tough from 43 to 67 (a mere 25 years, pffttt). Did our culture just appear for a 2 decade window and go? Where did it come from? was graeme richmond the sole custodian?

Is a culture contingent on success?

I say that's missing the point.

I will always LOVE THIS CLUB as our CLUB has a SOUL.

And it represents everything THE AFL aren't.

A corrupt money sniffing corporation.

US AGAINST THEM.
That is our slogan not Collingwood's LMAO.

Vlad rubs Eddie's botty at the half time break FFS.

That SLOGAN WAS MADE FOR OUR CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!

We are the HATED!!

Media absoluitely LOVE COLLINGWOOD AND THEY ABSOLUTEY HATE US WITH A PASSION!!!!

US AGAINST THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smasha said:
I will always LOVE THIS CLUB as our CLUB has a SOUL.

And it represents everything THE AFL aren't.

A corrupt money sniffing corporation.

And we weren't when we won our premierships - the club was very wealthy back then!

rosy23 said:
It's also somewhat amusing coming from someone who has self-admittedly shown a distinct disregard for the posting guidelines on PRE in expressing their own opinions. The different standards are interesting. :)

hell, this threads gonna go south real quick anyways, might as well get it locked up.

The only difference between your personal attacks and others Rosy-my-dear, is yours are crudely hidden with language such as 'amusing' and 'interesting'.

tigergollywog said:
Even though I know exactly where this thread will go, Im gonna start it. Cause its got to be said.

A valid perspective. In fact, I think it captures the essence of why I have continued to support the club through its ineptness.

But equally, you must acknowledge that history provides poor sustenance. We've been living off the fumes of the 70's for a long while now. By 1944, Fitzroy had more premierships than every club bar Collingwood.

The club has my 17-game membership money for this year and will get it again next year, but it will surely not have the gall to appeal to its members to bail it out again. I'm not even sure the members would respond in sufficient numbers.

All is not lost. The club must regroup for next season - starting now - and make it work.

You say that the club isn't just about the individual, unfortunately when it comes to supporting, it is. It is any one person's right as an individual to decide whether or not they want to continue to support the club financially by buying a membership. Now if all having that membership is going to bring is pain and embarrassment, why would you as an individual keep buying one. This isn't about one bad season. It's about 29 of them. Over the last 32 years Richmond as a club has had 3 good seasons. The rest have been filled with disappointment. Why shouldn't we, the people that support and enable it, be free to say what we want and deal with it in what way we choose?

Our recruiting blokes have done an amazing job getting some players while the AFL has one of their arms tied behind their back!

Ah the old collective vs the individual argument - we need head shrinkers, sociologists and social theorists to sort this one out :p

tigergollywog said:
hell, this threads gonna go south real quick anyways, might as well get it locked up.

The only difference between your personal attacks and others Rosy-my-dear, is yours are crudely hidden with language such as 'amusing' and 'interesting'.

Why should the thread be locked or is that just another gratuitous dig at the moderating? My point is the same whether I use those words or not. They are not hidden whether crudely or otherwise. They are there for all to read. I certainly didn't attack you personally. I gave my opinion on what you were asking. You're entitled to respond but to imply my comments a "personal attack" is a tad sensitive. No attack at all.

Calling me "Rosy-my-dear" is as ordinary as things you're telling others not to post. I'd prefer to be called a dud than condescendingly referred to as your dear. As I said double standards between what you tell others to post and what you post yourself. The difference appears to be who it's aimed at rather than what is said.