FRAWLEY TO COACH IN 2004 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

FRAWLEY TO COACH IN 2004

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
TigerFurious said:
How many times must I say this.

Every player currently on the list has been through at least one contract under Frawley. This includes Biddiscombe, King, Bourke, Rogers etc plus Richmond had the chance to offload Daffy at the end of 2000 but Frawley got cold feet.

You cannot blame anyone else for the state of the list except one Danial Frawley who as senior coach must rubber stamp all trades and contracts and ultimately decides who will stay and who will go.

It doesn't matter that a few close calls (Hudson, Sziller etc) went against him, the fact remains that they did not work out and Frawley and company must be help responsible.
not quite true.all trade,s and contracts have to be rubber stamped by the board[contracts mainly].
the daffy "non trade" actually worked out for the better for us[re.stafford] while the hawthorn offer was the same more or less as far as the contract payments went.both bidders and king had come off their best season hence the re-signing.i agree the hudson and to a lesser extent sizzler signings did go pear shaped.
hindsight is a wonderful thing hell imagine if we could go back to when we started free falling back in the middle 80.s when it was decided to payback collingwood things might be totally different today.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
4 years is long enough

we have not improved, and are not any closer to winning a premiership than we were in 99 with the Giesch at the helm.

people can blame no depth, short lists, injuries etc, but this is all frawleys doing, with some help from beck, and he has no one to blame but himself.

he refuses to blood young players, instead thinking the players who have failed us for years will somehow turn us into a winning team.

the club now has a chance to get out, and they wont take it, shows that the board and the club in general are happy with being the whipping boys of the league.

i told people about this clause a while back, and i think the agreement with wallace has fallen through, and we are waiting one more year to try and get sheedy.

membership will be lucky to reach 20,000 next year, and if they extend frawleys contract, it will be lucky to reach 10,000 in 2005. people are sick of the crap we have been seeing, and will no longer fork out their money to watch a bunch of hacks play defensive, boring football for a coach whos tactics and strategys are stuck in the dark ages.

we have tolerated mediocraty for long enough, but it seems nothing will change for one more year.

we will be lucky to win another game this year, and will finish about 13th or 14th, again.

diggler is right, start rattling the tins people, our club is in trouble.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
OK so we are stuck with the dud for another year. another year of boring defensive ugly football... grinding games out. :'(

I can accept he stays for one more year ... only just.

But if they even dare to try and sign him up before 04 season is complete someone will burn down the grandstand at punt rd!!! :mad:

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
Lets just hope they don't resign the likes of Biddiscombe, Vardy, King, Mills etc.

If they do, I will have to think about whether I would want to renew my membership.

If Frawley is to coach then so be it, but the list has be changed dramatically. I think its fair to say that we have a pretty ordinary list for Frawley to work with.

DragicevicFan

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2002
Melbourne
Posted by: crackertiger Posted on: Today at 07:00:10pm

If Frawley is to coach then so be it, but the list has be changed dramatically. I think its fair to say that we have a pretty ordinary list for Frawley to work with.

Most of which Frawley has put together, or had a chance to move on at some stage during his tenure.

As far as i can work out, the only player on the list that Frawley hasnt brought to the club himself, or come out of contract during his time as coach, is Biddiscombe.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
I wonder if MILLER was in the West to test the waters with JUDDS management?????

It is a good sign that MILLER has taken it on himself to get involved in the recruiting side of things on a personal level, which IMHO is a clear indication that he thinks we have under achieved in this area in the past. He has track a record of being good in this area so lets hope he has the same success at Tigerland.

Personally I think it is good that the list is finally going to be subject to some honest scrutiny for a change. The continual changing of the guard in the Coaches box has probably meant that a few players careers have been extended due to a lack of honest assessment.

We have tried changing coaches for the last 20 years so why not actually try changing the list, after all they are the ones who go out there to play the game. You can only do the best with what you have got.

Everyone talks about the lack of changes made under FRAWLEY. Well if we think back to pre season we made bids for the likes of Luke PENNY and Stephen POWELL, but these fell through so we can't say they were out there trying. Maybe it has been the culture that persuaded those players to go to other clubs. Why would you choose St.Kilda under THOMAS over the Tigers unless it was purely a financial decision. I am sure that the lingering DAFFY/BOURKE contract also played a part in these negotiations.

Hopefully this show of faith will entice a few of those players to the club in the off season.

If we could manipulate a deal to get JUDD and a couple of draft selections I think I would be happy, but maybe I am dreaming (again)

I just don't think we can change our coaching panel and our list all in one hit. It's gotta be one or the other and I think some honest scutiny of the list is the way to go (for a change).

It has been said on this list, even by a few Spud critics, that an average coach could coach a good list to the finals, but it would take a very good coach to take an average list to the finals. I for one am not that sure that there will be too many good coach's available at years end. WALLACE probably already has an agreement with the Hawks.

The synics amongst us may even suggest that honouring his contract would coincide with the expiry of SHEEDY's contract at Essendon.

I am sure even DIGGLER would tolerate that if SHEEDS walked into to Punt Road with a quality list to play with.

I imagine that coaching contract negotiations would not mean that they would not explore all available options in their negotiations next year.

Despite what some say I do believe we have moved forward over the last few years, not in all areas, but we have made significant steps in some areas like our off field administration which I am hopeful will set the foundation for another great Tiger era.

Afterall if there is no foundation then there will never be success.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
johnson2richo2003 said:
.both bidders and king had come off their best season hence the re-signing.

So youre saying that King had his best season last year hence his re-signing - because King was given a new contract at the end of last season. Please don't make excuses when they are not warranted. And that example about daffy and stafford - please don't even attempt to justify daffy's contract extension with that example - that is laughable.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
DEAN3=DANNY FRAWLEY

People what am i hearing. Surely you guys are not serious. What seriously makes you think they are going to delist any of those players. Its the same old story. We will review all players and make harsh decisions yadayadayada.... In the end they wont bite the bullet coz they have no guts and will keep those duds so spud has excuses to fall back on. Keeping frawley at the club only so we dont look bad in the public with coach sackings is just absolute crap.
Excuses about finally getting the players to take the blame is also crap. Frawleys job is to get that list of players to perform to their maximum capabilities and if not good enough, move them on and pick others up. Young players!!! Not sziller and hudson. Obviously you guys are blind to the fact that the reason frawley picked players like sziller(mates rates) and hudson was coz he wanted quick success to make name for HIMSELF. He couldnt give two hoots about richmond coz he has had no faith in youngsters to build our team for the future. The only reason we unearthed some young talent was coz he was pressured to play them. 4 years is more than enough to make a claim as a senior coach.

All the frawley lovers STILL wont tell us WHAT danny frawley has done for the richmond football club and what his great assets as a coach are? Why he will improve our team??

If you guys are happy with the style of play and supposed gameplan we have then you are easily satisfied. HERES TO THE CIRCUS DOWN AT PUND RD.

Dean3, Koalill and co i just hope that you are around next year this time when we are in the same position, so we can hear your thoughts!!!

Fancy even mentioning that they want to extend his contract beyond 2004!!! WHAT THE......

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Here here FUD. Your knowledge of the game is second to none. The frawely lovers cannot answer your question simply because frawdudly has done nothing. Thier only arguments are we cannot sack coaches. Its like saying - I'd love to have an omelet but I don't want to break the egg.

Anyway the Laughing Stock of the League FC have only themselves to blame as they obviously don't know how to succeed. Imagine negotiating the extension of a dud coaches contract when we finish 14th and 12th in consecutive years. That is laughable. RFC you are a joke and don't blame supporters for the lack of members.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
Harry said:
So youre saying that King had his best season last year hence his re-signing - because King was given a new contract at the end of last season.

Harry,

I thought that King was given a 1 year contract at the end of last season. I have been told this week that he is in the final year of a 2 year deal. He was on a 2 year deal when we got him and he was offered another one after the 2001 season (which was his best).

The Boss is the person who would probably know for sure I reckon.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
I just hope that the Miller/Casey do realise that they are playing with the future of the club by giving Frawley another contract after 3 years of failure.

And to this end, if we end up in the poo again next year coupled with poor membership, the club should apologise to the members rather than hang it on us for not joining up.

I think they call it a "red letter day"

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
frawleyudud said:
Dean3, Koalill and co i just hope that you are around next year this time when we are in the same position, so we can hear your thoughts!!!

FUD, this time next year I will be what have been for the last 21 years a PAID UP and PASSIONATE Richmond Football Club Member. So don't despair, I'll be around giving my opinions and thoughts.

frawleyudud said:
All the frawley lovers STILL wont tell us WHAT danny frawley has done for the richmond football club and what his great assets as a coach are? Why he will improve our team??

The pot calling the kettle black there FUD - I have asked you questions and you don't reply. But I will try and list a couple of things Danny's done for the Club since he has been there and then you can knock it all and say what you normally do. he's a Dud blah blah.

In his first season 2000 we finished 9th. If everyone is 100% honest - the majority would say that was a surprising result (although bitterly disppointing missing the finals). He introduced a code of behaviour for the players. Which meant that when players stuffed up off the field (read: Daffy, Ottens) the were penalised. If my memory serves me well the majority of people applauded that. He was the major reason Brad Ottens re-signed at the completion of his first contract.

His second season resulted in a third place finish. Which in hindsight everyone agrees flattered the Club. I will concede (and this one will make you happy FUD) the players drafted, in particular Hudson, were mistakes. But the fact remains in his second season we made the finals. Whether you want to admit it - that is an achievement.

He traded for Leon Cameron and although Leon is nearing the end of his career that has been a good trade for the Richmond Football Club. He kept Andy Kellaway when alot of people called for him to be traded or de-listed after 1999. He is now a B&F and All- Australian.

You argue that he has no guts when it comes to getting rid of players. But isn't he the one who told Matthew Knights it was time and he then copped a bucketing for it. I don't wish to debate the decision - whether it was right or wrong but it took guts to make that decision knowing the possible ramifications.

Everyone criticises the list and questions why players haven't been de-listed or traded. The reason is simple contracts. If a players is contracted then they can be traded. We can offer them - but if no-one takes them- well you have to keep them. If you decide to de-list then you have to pay out the contract. That doesn't free space on the salary cap that just leaves an empty space on the list. We are short on the list now - we cannot afford to have a smaller list. Fact is we have to keep who we got until their contracts expire if we cannot trade them.

As I have said we have been burnt for paying fat contracts for players who don't deserve them. It is crazy to blame Danny for the $$$ being paid.

FUD, you ask what his assets as a coach are? And I ask you have you ever sat in on a team meeting, a match review, defence analysis? You don't answer. I am not trying to big note myself and say I know everything but I spent a week there and have done all those things and I can only go by what I have seen. He has the respect of the players (which is slightly more than some other coaches over the years). He and the rest of the coaches put alot of planning into matches. They do have other game plans than "bombing it into Richo".

I will repeat what I said yesterday - the Coach isn't the problem our list is. Clearly our second tier players are not up to it. The list is being reviewed and come the end of the season (once contracts expire) look for some changes.

D

DannyFrawley

yeahnah

Harry, Laff and FUD you are the duds

I am the greatest coach our club has seen in the past 20 years and unlike you guys I will support the club with everything I have.

and further more i will be around until the end of next year so stick that up your nose's

go tiges!!!!

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
frawleyudud said:
DEAN3=DANNY FRAWLEY

People what am i hearing. Surely you guys are not serious. What seriously makes you think they are going to delist any of those players. Its the same old story. We will review all players and make harsh decisions yadayadayada.... In the end they wont bite the bullet coz they have no guts and will keep those duds so spud has excuses to fall back on. Keeping frawley at the club only so we dont look bad in the public with coach sackings is just absolute crap.
Excuses about finally getting the players to take the blame is also crap. Frawleys job is to get that list of players to perform to their maximum capabilities and if not good enough, move them on and pick others up. Young players!!! Not sziller and hudson. Obviously you guys are blind to the fact that the reason frawley picked players like sziller(mates rates) and hudson was coz he wanted quick success to make name for HIMSELF. He couldnt give two hoots about richmond coz he has had no faith in youngsters to build our team for the future. The only reason we unearthed some young talent was coz he was pressured to play them. 4 years is more than enough to make a claim as a senior coach.

If you guys are happy with the style of play and supposed gameplan we have then you are easily satisfied. HERES TO THE CIRCUS DOWN AT PUND RD.

Fancy even mentioning that they want to extend his contract beyond 2004!!! WHAT THE......
tell me this fud who,s the dud?the coach or your goodself who only thrives on us losing.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
koalill

i will aplaud the fact that atleast you responded to my repeated questions.

Look ive said it all along im not questioning frawleys work ethic or commitment as a coach but his ABILITY.

You can try as hard as you like but if you aint got it you aint got it. Its just like a player that has all the heart in the world and tries his heart but doesnt make it coz he aint good enough. Simple as that.

You can tell me that he puts a lot of work into his job and matchday and this and that, but if it is all useless whats the point. A bit like a headless chook. It runs around but no matter how quick it goes its never going to make it!!!!!!

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Why bother trying to convince you FUD? Your mind is closed. At least we're willing to give Danny a chance.

Look, if they don't make some drastic changes to the list at the end of this year, then I'll be off the Frawley bandwagon quick smart. Until then, the club deserves our support, not negative 20-20 hindsight sniping.

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Dean3 said:
Look, if they don't make some drastic changes to the list at the end of this year, then I'll be off the Frawley bandwagon quick smart. Until then, the club deserves our support, not negative 20-20 hindsight sniping.

Couldn't agree with you more Dean3. Some keep arguing that he has had 3 years already, but my arguement is that he hasn't had the like of Greg MILLER there to provide some much needed leadership in the Football Department.

This is a guy who knows and understands success. He has been there and done that. He has premiership under his administration and coaches like Pagan and recruited player like Carey. Lets give him the chance to assess and direct our clubs fortunes. He was never going to turn it around in a year.

I have heard the criticism of him when he was the CEO at the Roos, but that is not his area of expertise the Football department is, and that is exacly what he was recruited for at Tigerland.

At least give him a chance.