Freo, hit em real hard hit em down below | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Freo, hit em real hard hit em down below

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Predictions for the game guys?

My usual positive attitude that convinces me we'll win every week has deserted me the last few weeks but guess what......

It's back.

I am confident we'll come home from Freo with the points this week. Hopefully the players have had a good look at themselves and realise what needs to be done.

I don't know why Danny has left Richo in the goal square all year, I think just so Mike Sheehan wouldn't be proved right. I do think Richo's moods affect the team, so hopefully if he has the licence to enjoy himself again it will reflect on the way the team plays.

Am I crazy or are we in with a chance?

we're in with a definite chance I think Rosy, and richo usually has a blinder against freo so I'm looking forward to it.
go tiges!!

Freo are slow starters and are renowned for coming back late in the game like they did last week so we need to blow them away early. I think if we are up by 6 goals+ at half time we should take it out. Tigers to win in a close result

Play with the same mental attitude as last week and multiply the skill level x 2, we're in with a chance for an upset. Unfortunately, said skill level has let us down all year.

dont go fooling ourselves guys and girls.

last week was good that we won but it was the bulldogs

no team has beaten the dockers or the eagles in perth and i dont think it will happen again, and only the lions have won the week after playing in perth.

we have a 35% chance of winning.

Also hopefully we can also get some decent umpires who dont go listening to home crowds which has been the case all year when teams travel interstate.

i think we may struggle in perth again, and lets face it our on the road record is disgraceful.

Just because teams havent won in Perth yet doesnt mean it is impossible. I give a us a good chance, the travelling theory is all in the players heads. If htey beleive they can win then we wil lbe fine, if they go in there thinking there is a hoodoo then we are stuffed. IT all depends on how much they back themselves.

I reckon our three young livewires up forward can win the game for us if they replicate their form from last week, Freo have some good tall defenders but haven't really got any outstanding small defenders, certainly not enough to hold our three excitement machines. Ofcourse we are going to have to win the ball out of the middle first to give the guys up forward a shot, Johnson was in fantastic nick last week and coughlan will hopefully relish playing back in WA for the first time this year.
Freo will be reluctant to play Pavlich on Richo. Last week Pavlich had little influence on the game in the first half when he was playing on Goodes, they will be hoping to free him up more, playing on Richo is a task that requires a players full attention. Young McPharlin could be a possible match-up, I know he has the pace to stay with him, i'm unsure about his endurance though, connolly may rotate players on Richo.
The boys in defence will have to be on their toes, Freo's forward line can be prodigous when on-song, hopefully as is often the case only half their forwards will fire on the night.

I'm very excited at the prospect of this match, It is a prime opportunity for Richmond to step up and show the rest of the AFL that they can play good footy against a good team.

shawry, true about the "in your head mentality" of interstate games but the stats dont lie for some reason even when interstate games first began

but the dockers are a completely different team in perth and we are pushing a broken down car up the steep hill in this game.

im not going to get excited based on last weeks performance, anyway we all have different views.

I reckon we match up pretty well against the Dockers.

I don't think the crowd will have much of an affect because 1) all of Marty's family are going and 2) Marty's family also happend to be Dion Woods' family as well so they wont be cheering for either team just family members ;D

That's gotta give a us a chance ;)

Welcome to PuntRoadEnd DonTom. :)

Koalalill said:
1) all of Marty's family are going and 2) Marty's family also happend to be Dion Woods' family as well so they wont be cheering for either team just family members ;

Is Marty a cousin to Nicky Winmar too? I think so, he has a pretty impressive footy pedigree on a few branches of the family tree.

Cogs to have a blinder back home, Marty to impress his family, Krak over there with his Dad. At least we have a few postitives.

Agree I wouldn't get excited on the back of last weeks game PRR, in fact I wasn't too excited after the win at all.

Will go with my gut feeling this week though, and worry about it later if we lose. I hope the team go into the game believing they can win.

Sometimes confidence and self belief are all it takes for skill levels to return to a satisfactory standard too.

Go Tiges.

rosy3 said:
Is Marty a cousin to Nicky Winmar too? I think so, he has a pretty impressive footy pedigree on a few branches of the family tree.

I don't know about Nicky Winmar Rosy, but I believe Marty is related to Geoff Farmer as well as the McGraths the one that plays for Essendon and ??? (is it Sydney).

And unless Jimmy gets day release I don't think he will be watching his son play at Subi ;)

Lill I remember a few of us were in the chatroom as the draft was happening and remember when we drafted Marty we were told of his football pedigree. I'm pretty sure Winmar is a 1st cousin. Maybe somebody else knows? There were a few names mentioned who he was related to.

Also I realise on past scenarios Andy's dad probably won't be at the ground, but hopefully they'll get a chance to spend some time together anyway and Krak will do his Dad proud. :)

DonTom said:
I reckon our three young livewires up forward can win the game for us …

Hi DonTom.

The thing that hit home about last week's effort was the difference that spirit makes.

If we can engender the type of camaraderie that Marty and Krak seem to have amongst the rest of the playing group, then that in itself can take us a long way and make us a much better team.

They obviously just love playing the game … and it shows. Their natural instincts allow them to play the game in a way that is exciting to experience.

In the past, however, we seem to have treated playing the game as a form of torture, rather than allowing the players to enjoy the game and what they do. Consequently, it hasn't been much fun watching us play.

Hopefully, last week was a sign of good things to come.

Your blind optimism makes me puke! One good performance against an absolute undermanned rabble and you all forget the last two months.
The will be the Richmond of old, soft as butter and will be flogged by 10 goals.
Hopefully this result will bring back some normalcy to the forum for I have missed Danny's got to go posts this week!

diggler said:
One good performance against an absolute undermanned rabble and you all forget the last two months.

We haven't got time to remember the last two months Diggler. Some of us are too busy remembering other things … like the last two decades, to be worried about the previous eight weeks.

Can't people be allowed to enjoy a win, even if it is against the bottom team?

diggler said:
Your blind optimism makes me puke! One good performance against an absolute undermanned rabble and you all forget the last two months.
The will be the Richmond of old, soft as butter and will be flogged by 10 goals.
Hopefully this result will bring back some normalcy to the forum for I have missed Danny's got to go posts this week!

Dude, your petulant negativity leaves a bad taste in my mouth. You talk like you prefer it when the Tiges lose, what kind of attitude is that for a supporter.

diggler said:

Well done Diggler, your ability to see Richmond for what they really are is an inspiration to us all.

I say maintain the rage.

typical richmond supporters!!!

We win a game against the doggies who would have lost to the hammerheads the way they played!!!! Yes it was good to FINALLY see Mcgrath and schulz given a go and to also win, BUT lets wait and see if we can back it up this week before we start flying in fairy land again!!!! Thats why it would have been better to lose against the doggies so the pressure wouldnt be off THAT DUD!!!

Never mind by next week well be singing that tune again!!!

Lets hope that dud king gets dropped for hyde or some other youngster and also bowden to be dragged after his first turnover not 20th!!!!

The wide expanses of Subi mean you need to rotate your midfielders quite often. This will hurt us as our depth is poor unless Otto can dominate in the ruck like last week and Cogs, Johnson and Richo ;D can cut loose when they in the middle. We'll need to give Rodan, Krakouer and Newman extra time in the centre to help out clearing the footy. Getting Fleming to do another job on Haselby like in round 3 would be useful ;).

Apart from that as KL said we match up quite well against Freo. AK, Zantuck, Newman and Chaffey down back vs Croad, Longmuir, Farmer and Medhurst. The 3 musketeers and dutchy will offput the docker defence who are more structured to match up against a more conventional opposition forward line. It'll be a question of whether we can get enough quality ball forward often and quickly enough to use their pace and skills in open space to our advantage.

I'm not expecting us to win so hopefully the Tiges will surprise me. Praying Danny won't go into the game thinking it's going to be too tough interstate and resort back to turning the game into a grinding affair :(. Stick to last week's style and effort. At least then you give our blokes a chance.

Supposedly Freo are going to try to target Fleming.