From SOS to 24mill. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

From SOS to 24mill.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
I was thinking the same.. giddy up and finish punt road oval. But at the same time you dont want to go from $25M in the black to -$10M doing it all ourselves. State govt and AFL would also need to chip in. Perhaps we time this with the redevelopment plans of Richmond Station and possibly a new Southern stand ?? 200M from the center of the AFL universe (MCG) we have a prime location with the opportunity of turning it from good to very special.

We have done so much right over the last 10 years building a new training facility, removing cricket from the ground, resurfacing going from the worst to one of the best tracks going around. Just need that last grand plan to take this to the next level. I personally would like to see us put not more than $10M from our cash reserves.

Hence the disappointment when Punt Rd got not a cent out of $500K in state government venue upgrades in the April announcement. Have to suspect McGuire's grubby hand was in there somewhere, working to Richmond's detriment.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
5m in trade debtors may mean we are paying invoices on longer terms or something different with the way the leisure group operates. Just means we will need that cash to pay for these when they are due.

hope that helps.

Trade debtors is money owed to the club, not money the club owes. I have not seen the financials but it should be listed as an asset. Not sure what this would be composed of (is the annual report a FY or calendar year?) but assume it is detailed somewhere in the notes attached to the financials.

Creditors are what you are referring to above ie suppliers the club owed money to as at the balance date.

Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Actually I don't know how to read annual reports how did we increase cash reserves by $10 million when we only made a profit of $4.1 million?, Maybe the Gov't pledge is factored in but then that doesn't make sense either.

NET INCREASE IN CASH HELD 10,737,884
Cash at the beginning of the financial year 13,710,013
CASH AND CASH EQUIVALENTS AT THE END OF THE FINANCIAL YEAR 24,447,897

Ways you can increase cash without booking profit:

- Loan/Debt drawn down: assume this hasn't happened but haven't seen the annual report
- Revenue received in advance: where someone pays us upfront and we bring it into revenue (i.e. profit) over time
- Non-cash expenses reducing profit (depreciation and amortisation) e.g we make $100 in revenue, $100 goes into bank, but we expense $50 in depreciation, profit is $50 but cash reserves are $100

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Trade debtors is money owed to the club, not money the club owes. I have not seen the financials but it should be listed as an asset. Not sure what this would be composed of (is the annual report a FY or calendar year?) but assume it is detailed somewhere in the notes attached to the financials.

Creditors are what you are referring to above ie suppliers the club owed money to as at the balance date.
https://s.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL Tenant/Richmond/Images/Concise Financial Report 2019 V2.pdf link to concise Financial reprots.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley

I'd imagine a lot of supporters are on monthly payment plans re their membership.

I prefer just putting the money down as soon as it's due, bit of a hit as i pay my mum's 3121 as well, but these last few years it's been well worth it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
That report doesn't tell you anything. Not sure where Better Tigers is getting his numbers from.

What is/are the right of use assets ($9M) in the Balance Sheet? How has it been valued?

What is the $8M non-current lease liability?

You can request a copy of the full financial report which I will do.
Yep, there's no 'Notes' on this one.

Actually I don't know how to read annual reports how did we increase cash reserves by $10 million when we only made a profit of $4.1 million?, Maybe the Gov't pledge is factored in but then that doesn't make sense either.

NET INCREASE IN CASH HELD 10,737,884
Cash at the beginning of the financial year 13,710,013
CASH AND CASH EQUIVALENTS AT THE END OF THE FINANCIAL YEAR 24,447,897

Cash and profit are two different things. Cash is the asset you held whilst profit is what you make through the year.

The $10,337,884 increase in cash shows in the Cash Flows Statement. Receipts from customers (membership?) already shows an increase of $14.7m

I'm a bit surprised we profited $98,000 more last year than this year.

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
That report doesn't tell you anything. Not sure where Better Tigers is getting his numbers from.

What is/are the right of use assets ($9M) in the Balance Sheet? How has it been valued?

Its from the link at the bttom of the article on the Richmond website.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I can almost guarantee you its a capital lease asset. IFRS standard changes means there are now no operating leases, all are now regarded as financial / capital leases and therefore a right of use asset is applied with the full lease obligation shown in liabilities.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I'd be interested to see the full notes though. A $10m increase in cash for only a $4m profit increase suggests a high value of non-cash items like depreciation or an improvement in working capital

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
I can almost guarantee you its a capital lease asset. IFRS standard changes means there are now no operating leases, all are now regarded as financial / capital leases and therefore a right of use asset is applied with the full lease obligation shown in liabilities.

A new accounting standard came in Jan 2019 around how operational leases are recorded

What it means is you are recording the right to use an asset over the life of a lease.

The non current asset amount is the value of the asset you have received under the original lease

The non current liability amount is in simple terms the value the liability you have to pay over the life of the lease

Perviously operational leases didn't get recorded this way. Finance leases were but not operations

I have blatantly plagiarised the text above !!, including spelling mistakes

BetterTigers

Tiger Rookie
May 21, 2011

Numbers were from that link.

i refer to trade debtors as suppliers we owe money too - sorry to confuse anyone - its a liability that we have to pay. That has increased by $5m net since last year. its part of the working capital equation.

as to why they are holding on to more cash at the expense of paying suppliers - that’s an operating decision and may just be temporary. nothing to see here.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Numbers were from that link.

i refer to trade debtors as suppliers we owe money too - sorry to confuse anyone - its a liability that we have to pay. That has increased by $5m net since last year. its part of the working capital equation.

as to why they are holding on to more cash at the expense of paying suppliers - that’s an operating decision and may just be temporary. nothing to see here.

Umm no, a Trade DEBTOR is someone who owes you money

A trade CREDITOR is someone you owe but haven't yet paid

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Right of use assets are leased assets. Previously leases were accounted for in 2 ways, financial leases and operating leases. Financial leased assets appeared as assets for an organisation but operating leases didn't, organisations simply expensed the lease payment and that was the extent of the accounting. With the new lease accounting standard that others have referred to all leases are now accounted for as financial leases and and the leased assets are called right of use assets with a corresponding lease liability in the Balance Sheet they essentially net each other off. My guess is that the $9M is for Punt Road Oval. The value is determined from the total lease payments in the lease contract and the underlying interest rate in the contract.

FWIW I'm an accountant and think that changes to standards like this were not warranted and simply serve to make Financial Statements harder for non accountants to interpret.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Right of use assets are leased assets. Previously leases were accounted for in 2 ways, financial leases and operating leases. Financial leased assets appeared as assets for an organisation but operating leases didn't, organisations simply expensed the lease payment and that was the extent of the accounting. With the new lease accounting standard that others have referred to all leases are now accounted for as financial leases and and the leased assets are called right of use assets with a corresponding lease liability in the Balance Sheet they essentially net each other off. My guess is that the $9M is for Punt Road Oval. The value is determined from the total lease payments in the lease contract and the underlying interest rate in the contract.

FWIW I'm an accountant and think that changes to standards like this were not warranted and simply serve to make Financial Statements harder for non accountants to interpret.

The $9mil would more likely be leases of equipment for the gyms and leisure centres and also computer and IT systems

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
The $9m right of use asset is described as "commercial facilities". So I assume rentals on properties, punt road, hotel, liesure etc

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
As long as there's a few shekels in the bank n we're not rattling tins again, this non accountant numpty is happy. Even happier that we're winning flags again :))

frickenel

Tiger Champion
Jul 30, 2003
Hidden Valley
I remember rucking for PRE in footy games against opposition forum boards, and i reckon our average age was probably 10 years higher because of the lack of any recend success. From memory, that was around 2004 ish.

We held our own pretty well, but i think we'd form a pretty formidable line up now!

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Now it seems we have of 24mill cash in the kitty and the powerhouse club we once were.

don't wanna sound like a broken record, but this is why we should fund the JD stand rebuild ourselves. no taxpayer handouts thanks.

What's got me perplexed is how slow they are at starting the redevelopment of Punt Rd, sorry Swinburne Centre.
They also have access to all the money they were promised by Scomo when Libs had their unlikely Federal win.
Now 2 massive cash cows in 2017 and 19 wins, Membership swells 3years running + all the Merch sales.
Not sure why they are dragging their feat on this.
Anyway club is in best financial position ever.
Hope to hear some redevelopment news soon, Benny.

maybe they are in a planning phase?