From the President | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

From the President

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Looks like Peggy is here till the AGM in 2022, great news

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-02-05/from-the-president-feb-2019

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
We have a maximum term, so why are we ignoring it?

She’s been a great president, don’t get me wrong, but changing specific rules to suit people sets a bad precedent.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
To set the record straight regarding Peggy's tenure.

She replaced (appointed) Clinton Casey in 2005 to see out his term.
She was elected to the board in 2007.
She was re-elected in 2010.
She became President in October 2013.
She was appointed to another term in 2013.
She was appointed to a further term in 2016.

After the constitutional changes that happened at the 2016 AGM, according to those changes she can be re-appointed to a further term after the current one.
This is contained in section 8.1.8 (b) and 8.1.10 and critically includes clause 22 which determines the time frame of the application of the changes.
Presumably Peggy will be appointed to her third term in 2019.
President from 2013 to 2022 and never faced election by the members during that 9 years.

It was noted at the time of the mooted "term limits" changes that the exceptions carved out for the president were clunky and unnecessary. We now see why.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Tigertool said:
We have a maximum term, so why are we ignoring it?

She’s been a great president, don’t get me wrong, but changing specific rules to suit people sets a bad precedent.

Agree.

The board put this rule in for what they considered a valid reason.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The Big Richo said:
1. Has anyone ever sent a question in and had it answered?

Think Peggy writes them herself. :hihi

Honestly really pleased that she's staying on even if they had to work around it a little. Too valuable an asset to just let walk out the door. She's done a superb job.

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Its all smiles, back clapping and true to form she goes back on her word again. Hope she joins next the LA Dodgers in the future. Constantly dodged the members voting system with the loop holes the boards have introduced over the years.
Well down so 2019 isn't your final year ! Wooohoo & Hooray. True to form and expected

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
MB78 said:
Agree.

The board put this rule in for what they considered a valid reason.
And that valid reason would be ensuring Peggy remains as President without facing election by the members.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Tigers of Old said:
Think Peggy writes them herself. :hihi

Honestly really pleased that she's staying on even if they had to work around it a little. Too valuable an asset to just let walk out the door. She's done a superb job.

Post deleted

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
The Big Richo said:
2 questions regarding this:

1. Has anyone ever sent a question in and had it answered?

Yes I have lodged questions via the 'ASK PEGGY' inbox, it must be full as not one of my questions has ever been answered so no longer waste my time.

Others are welcome to try, below is where Peggy has asked to lodge questions:

"As I have mentioned before, I am happy to answer your questions through this periodic column so please feel free to send them to me at [email protected]"

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I think it would be better written as an article or with some sub-headings, rather than trying to make it look like she is answering fan questions. Given the pretend questions, it all looks a bit amateurish.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
TigerFlag2017 said:
I think it would be better written as an article or with some sub-headings, rather than trying to make it look like she is answering fan questions. Given the pretend questions, it all looks a bit amateurish.

Hey Tigerflag,

In my deleted post above I went on a big rant basically saying the same thing, then I took a deep breath and deleted my post ;D

For what is a quarterly column, you can't tell me only 7 questions have been raised by members or that the 7 she has chosen or fabricated are the most important.

1) Can we reach 100,000 members again?
2) Isn't it great that we have kept Steve Morris?
3) AFLX is garbage what if someone gets injured?

Really ::)

Look, Peggy has and is doing a great job as President, but the column and matters covered was very underwhelming.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
caesar said:
Hey Tigerflag,

In my deleted post above I went on a big rant basically saying the same thing, then I took a deep breath and deleted my post ;D

For what is a quarterly column, you can't tell me only 7 questions have been raised by members or that the 7 she has chosen or fabricated are the most important.

Look, Peggy has and is doing a great job as President, but the column and matters covered was very underwhelming.
Agree fully. I meant to write in my previous post it looks both amateurish and contrived.

Sometimes better to say nothing than anything at all.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
we should be outraged, but because we won a premiership, the power grab of the boys club only gets stronger. bring back democracy to the RFC.

Al Bundy

Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Ian4 said:
we should be outraged, but because we won a premiership, the power grab of the boys club only gets stronger. bring back democracy to the RFC.

no chance and you know it :)

I just hope we keep winning and we snag a few more premierships. I'll be rapt. Just hope we don't see those crap Casey years again

Al Bundy

Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
RedanTiger said:
To set the record straight regarding Peggy's tenure.

She replaced (appointed) Clinton Casey in 2005 to see out his term.
She was elected to the board in 2007.
She was re-elected in 2010.
She became President in October 2013.
She was appointed to another term in 2013.
She was appointed to a further term in 2016.

After the constitutional changes that happened at the 2016 AGM, according to those changes she can be re-appointed to a further term after the current one.
This is contained in section 8.1.8 (b) and 8.1.10 and critically includes clause 22 which determines the time frame of the application of the changes.
Presumably Peggy will be appointed to her third term in 2019.
President from 2013 to 2022 and never faced election by the members during that 9 years.

It was noted at the time of the mooted "term limits" changes that the exceptions carved out for the president were clunky and unnecessary. We now see why.

Hey Redan, so I can understand this better, get how she maneuvered herself into another term but (I don't know so I ask), can she at the end of her term be reappointed to the board again as a board member rather than a president. Based on playing on words could they dance around the wording that she was a "president" ? Hope u understand what I'm asking

Its more to understand how this board continue to appoint non voted by members, board appointments with the constant selective minor changes they have done over the last 10 years to the RFC constitution

I get how she is loved by many and the media but more for me to understand what to expect in the future how the board of RFC is run

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
caesar said:
Hey Tigerflag,

No substance to her answers (due to the questions). And no real insights on what we are doing off the field to grow our club both financially to support on field performance.

Also with Brisbane's recent announcement regarding upgrades, and Carlton’s. And with what the Saints have just built. Is Punt Road now being left behind?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Ian4 said:

There's no doubt that this group has now a history of circumventing previous processes to manipulate outcomes. I agree it's an uncomfortable precedent.
However as you rightly say success is enabling that to happen. Everyone is on the happy gas.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
MB78 said:
No substance to her answers (due to the questions). And no real insights on what we are doing off the field to grow our club both financially to support on field performance.

Also with Brisbane's recent announcement regarding upgrades, and Carlton’s. And with what the Saints have just built. Is Punt Road now being left behind?

Correct MB78, we get enough puff pieces day to day from the RFC website which is good, from the president I am much more interested, (as you have mentioned), in updates and initiatives that will make Richmond even greater.

Yes PRO is being left behind, as a supporter frustrating to watch as Governments and the AFL splash cash around to everyone but RFC.

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
Al Bundy said:
Hey Redan, so I can understand this better, get how she maneuvered herself into another term but (I don't know so I ask), can she at the end of her term be reappointed to the board again as a board member rather than a president. Based on playing on words could they dance around the wording that she was a "president" ? Hope u understand what I'm asking

Its more to understand how this board continue to appoint non voted by members, board appointments with the constant selective minor changes they have done over the last 10 years to the RFC constitution

I get how she is loved by many and the media but more for me to understand what to expect in the future how the board of RFC is run

It's really a matter of interpretation to a large degree.
Anyone can view the Constitution under the "club" header on the club website. It cannot be pasted here.
Pertinent is section 8.1 which deals with Appointed directors.
The confusion comes because the word "Appointed" is used for at least 3 interpretations that I can see: Appointed rather than elected, Appointed to replace a retiree, Appointed as in the Presidential office.
In the clauses changed in 2016 they commonly use the phrase "re-elected or re-appointed" so they are given the same weight.

Section 8.1.8 says that it is all conditional on 8.1.9 and 8.1.10 and most particularly clause 22, which sets out the time of operation of the changes, the "amending date".
The best example of clause 22 is this instance where previous terms are ignored both as an Appointed director and as President.
The limit to two terms as both President and Appointed director is only counted since the 2016 changes. Thus Peggy's 2013-2016 Appointment as both a director and president is ignored.

An intriguing wrinkle is the time when Peggy was President at the 2016 meeting. Was she currently President before or after the "amending date" as it is put in clause 22?
If she was President before, then the two further terms would seem to be 2019-2022 and 2022-2025.

As for your question about any further appointment or term there also seems a problem since 8.1.12 says that any term served filling a casual vacancy (ie replacing a resigning director) shall be disregarded in relation to the term limits.
So IMO it is possible that any director "appointed" to fill a casual vacancy could do that with no restriction. If a director were to resign they could be replaced by anyone the board sees fit and the term limits do not apply.

Sorry if that all seems unclear but that's the way it's been drafted and implemented with lots of loopholes.