From the President | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

From the President

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
caesar said:
Yes PRO is being left behind, as a supporter frustrating to watch as Governments and the AFL splash cash around to everyone but RFC.

Peggy said on SEN yesterday that they have pretty much finalised the plans for the PRO upgrade. but there os obviously no funding at this stage. as i have said on other threads, i don't want a handout from the government. i have had a gutful of footy clubs going cap in hand for taxpayer funding. we can do this ourselves. we should do this ourselves.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
and that's likely why the club won''t get out of bed with pokies despite our current strong financial position & record memberships. They'll be looking to use that revenue to fund expansion of facilities. ::)
That's the question I'd ask Peggy. When are we getting out of profiting off misery?

Al Bundy

Premiers 2017, 2019, 2020 ...2021?
Aug 27, 2003
Melbourne
Thanks Redan. Its clear that they drew it up with many angles. You nailed it. So Peggy really can keep on going and depending on what role she takes can continue forever and makes a mockery of the grandstanding we have seen of claiming that her term (or anyone else in the future - the bit Im trying to understand) could be over or limited. If they fill a "casual" role. Hmmm. Thanks.

So in summary (& moving forward and not about the current board holders), its near impossible to spill the board now. Any board member, irrespective of limited time clauses, depending on a categorised (eg casual) position can enter the board un-elected and stay on as long as they like. The subtle changes it appears were not to give the board the flexability to help them fill in a unforeseen resignation but in essence the changes now in place has given total control to the board to do what it pleases & unapposed. The so called democratic rights of members is now completely eroded and see it more as pretentious process when board members, I believe, will use that process when unopposed members to be "re-elected" when members will "think" they are voting in people. Its a complete waste of time to even vote for anything.

I'll give credit where credit is due. They pulled it off and the have become untouchable. Period. End of story !

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
After thirty years of member elected boards that sent us deeper and deeper into the mire of ineptness n bankruptcy, beholden to the AFL for survival. I think I might be able to tolerate the competence n stability of our benevolent dictatorship for a few more years.
Premiership in the back pocket.
Ongoing finals campaigns.
Money in the bank.
Strong core of premium players with a strong culture n minimal " off field " issues.
Destination club that other players want to be at.
Recently rebuilt facilities at Punt Rd, with more rebuilding n improvements in the pipeline.

Peggy can be El Presidente for life along with her board as the Government n Benny, Balmey n Dimma as the military junta controlling the unruly masses. We're finally doing virtually everything right as a professional sporting entity yet some people for some weird n reason keep wanting to tear things down n go back to the farking good old days of the late 80s - 90s - 00s.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
TigerMasochist said:
After thirty years of member elected boards that sent us deeper and deeper into the mire of ineptness n bankruptcy, beholden to the AFL for survival. I think I might be able to tolerate the competence n stability of our benevolent dictatorship for a few more years.
Money in the bank.
Strong core of premium players with a strong culture n minimal " off field " issues.
Recently rebuilt facilities at Punt Rd, with more rebuilding n improvements in the pipeline.

Peggy can be El Presidente for life along with her board as the Government n Benny, Balmey n Dimma as the military junta controlling the unruly masses. We're finally doing virtually everything right as a professional sporting entity yet some people for some weird n reason keep wanting to tear things down n go back to the *smile*ing good old days of the late 80s - 90s - 00s.

:clap

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Tigers of Old said:
There's no doubt that this group has now a history of circumventing previous processes to manipulate outcomes. I agree it's an uncomfortable precedent.
However as you rightly say success is enabling that to happen. Everyone is on the happy gas.

It doesn't sit right but if we're there again this season it's all good.

Question is whether their behaviour is because of the success or the success is because of their behaviour.

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Baloo said:

Question is whether their behaviour is because of the success or the success is because of their behaviour.

the latter IMHO

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Baloo said:

Eddie n his mates have pretty near owned Colonwood for about the last twenty years, it's not been perfect but there's been a flag n couple of near misses with regular finals, strong finances, plenty of sponsors n heaps of the toofless rusted firmly in place.
The Moggies, Hawforn, Sydaknee have also been fairly rock solid in the way the suits run the clubs, flags, finals, finances n fans have all been pretty much top shelf over the last fifteen years.

We're not doing much different to the way the others have been running things n it's certainly been showing some fairly positive results the last five or six years n we were virtually running around with the arse out of our pants for the thirty years before that.

Good management won't guarantee success on the field but it provides the club with every opportunity to have a full on crack at success.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
TigerMasochist said:
Money in the bank.

Peggy can be El Presidente for life along with her board as the Government n Benny, Balmey n Dimma as the military junta controlling the unruly masses. We're finally doing virtually everything right as a professional sporting entity yet some people for some weird n reason keep wanting to tear things down n go back to the *smile*ing good old days of the late 80s - 90s - 00s.

File this away for 2025 when all the incumbents have moved on for personal reasons and we are under a different regime who use the same rules to keep themselves in power despite less than stellar results. Never seen any country prosper once president for life rules are installed.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
22nd Man said:
File this away for 2025 when all the incumbents have moved on for personal reasons and we are under a different regime who use the same rules to keep themselves in power despite less than stellar results. Never seen any country prosper once president for life rules are installed.

Well said. This is a massive problem IMO.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
One of the great, and quite unique, things about Aussie Rules is that the clubs are owned by the members. Doesn't happen in rugby, gridiron or soccer.

This is something we should cherish so I do worry when members don't get to elect the board. We've got to keep this membership based model and somehow make sure the board is not just competent but actually really good at their job. Still, I suppose it is up to all of us members to make sure the board is good enough.

DS

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
DavidSSS said:
One of the great, and quite unique, things about Aussie Rules is that the clubs are owned by the members. Doesn't happen in rugby, gridiron or soccer.

This is something we should cherish so I do worry when members don't get to elect the board. We've got to keep this membership based model and somehow make sure the board is not just competent but actually really good at their job. Still, I suppose it is up to all of us members to make sure the board is good enough.

DS

This was the thought when I read the post from TigerMasochist that "We're finally doing virtually everything right as a professional sporting entity".
We are getting awfully close to those sporting giants like NBA, NFL and Premier League clubs where the only involvement from members is to be a "season ticket holder" with no input to management, coaches or players.

My thoughts currently are that those lauding the board actions are using the "ends justify the means" and "whatever it takes" mantras to excuse those actions.
Not a healthy direction using the recent banking, political, church and Essendon debacles as examples.

joegarra

Tiger Matchwinner
Jun 27, 2013
Werribee South
My thoughts currently are that those lauding the board actions are using the "ends justify the means" and "whatever it takes" mantras to excuse those actions.
Not a healthy direction using the recent banking, political, church and Essendon debacles as examples.
[/quote]
Agree, the Board is taking advantage of success to implement some dangerous changes.

taztiger4

Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
joegarra said:

Agree, the Board is taking advantage of success to implement some dangerous changes.

in your opinion obviuosly

some of us voted for these changes & are happy to let the board make these decisions.

If the day comes they are out of control , then 5% of us can call an EGM & get it sorted

RedanTiger

Tiger Champion
Nov 21, 2004
The Big Richo said:
My concern is that Peggy and co have artfully created an environment where democracy and accountability are considered disruptive and anyone who dissents is dismissed as a Judas.

The Focus on Football was a classic example. Putting aside the fact that they were not even slightly media savvy and embarrassed themselves with their launch, what you had was a group of capable, professional people who were exercising their right as members to participate in the democratic process.

Essentially they said the football game style was unclear and needed changing (correct), football management was poor and needed changing (correct), recruiting was hit and miss and needed to be better (correct) and we were underachieving and should be producing better football results (correct and still is).

Not too much wrong with any of that yet their emergence was greeted with an indignant response, not based on issues but based on their right to exist.

Stability was the word Peggy used over and over again.

Instability and change equals chaos she kept spouting, when the reality was the challengers were just pushing sensible solutions to problems everyone could see.

The stability obsession is set in stone now but the thing about stability is it is only useful when the results are positive.

Agreed.
My major gripe was (is) the corruption of the process.
The example of Simon Wallace is what I object to most.

Wallace set up a 20 page website to publish his concerns.
He was asked (and agreed) to take take down this website until the club had rewritten its election rules to deal with electronic publicity that was not in place prior.
The By-laws that the club drafted were and are unworkable. An example is that The club name and logo could not be used nor any suggestion that the club favored a candidate.
One of the incumbent directors then set up their own website ignoring these rules (photo holding a club jumper with the president in the change rooms) which she had helped to write as a member of the club governance committee.

The club also put articles supporting the incumbents on their website and, in Dunne's case, on the AFL website and linked these to the voting site.
Neither of the challengers was given this assistance.
Despite all this, Simon came very close to being elected.

As I said, the processes were corrupted so the result was as well.