Gale was on SEN | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Gale was on SEN

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
That would seem more likely given Bolton never falls over ever. ;)

I'm not buying the not pissed angle either. If you are in a nightclub late at night and aren't pissed you last about 10 seconds before you want to get out of there.
Exactly how much had they had to drink?

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Different teams approach it in their own way but generally you need to not be injured and not be on a short break, ie have time to do a recovery and still have 6 or 7 days before a game.

I'm sure there would be nothing stopping the boys having a drink last weekend with a game the following Saturday night, in fact it would have been identified as an opportunity in the preseason given the Friday night game and the long break. You try and do that to keep motivation up, righto boys, we've got a 4 week block where we need discipline and hard work and then we'll let our hair down and start again on Monday for the next block sort of stuff.

Thanks mate. And that can extend to writing yourself off or a moderate intake?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Definitely not his finest interview. In his endeavour to emphasize how the much the club does not condone violence, it felt like Gale threw the boys under the bus a bit and created more murkiness and more room for speculation which was very much picked up upon by SEN's breakfast show hosts (as they should have done). I thought Hardwick handled the situation very well last night on AFL360 and I have to admit I was unusually disappointed with the interview with Brendon Gale this morning.

I havnt seen or heard any media surrounding the incident,

but I'd hope they'de be honest,

and say 'hands up who wouldn't physically challenge a person who gropes their partner and calls them names'?

(deliberately non-gendered)

and 'hands up who wouldnt expect their friend to assist them in any ensuing altercation?'

its perfectly understandable behaviour, especially involving young men.

Ive always thought the suggestion that violence has no place ever,

is really naive and glib

edit: just watched Dimma on 360 and this is pretty much what he said; proud again

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It would have all happened very quickly. Sounds to me like some idiot groped Rioli's GF, Rioli told him to lay off and got smacked, Bolton intervened either to pull them apart or defend Rioli.

Seems to me that Rioli and Bolton are the victims here, and even more so Rioli's GF.

Given we haven't got the other side of the story, the other side of the story doesn't want to talk about what happened. Plus, it seems no-one else there is coming out to contradict what we have heard.

DS

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
I havnt seen or heard any media surrounding the incident,

but I'd hope they'de be honest,

and say 'hands up who wouldn't physically challenge a person who gropes their partner and calls them names'?

(deliberately non-gendered)

and 'hands up who wouldnt expect their friend to assist them in any ensuing altercation?'

its perfectly understandable behaviour, especially involving young men.

Ive always thought the suggestion that violence has no place ever,

is really naive and glib
The alternative argument is that women can stand up for themselves and don't always appreciate their partners being violent to protect them from the violence of other men.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
You'd never really recommend anyone writes themselves off but it is really each to their own. Very rarely would guys be drinking at club events so you're not really aware of what each individual is doing anyway. I like Chris Judd's mantra, which was one game, one free pass. So if you played 20 games in a year you had 20 nights you could relax a bit, have a pizza or get on the drink.

Sounds good in theory but 20 doesn't go far when you start adding up special days and other life events that pop up during a year.

Without doubt though the footy club's focus on drinking is 10% performance and 90% behavioural though. They spend a heap more time talking about making good decisions about when and where you drink than they ever do about the physiological impacts.
Great insight

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The alternative argument is that women can stand up for themselves and don't always appreciate their partners being violent to protect them from the violence of other men.

no doubt, which is why I wrote my statement in a gender neutral way.

I reckon if anyone groped me and called me a *smile*, Mrs EZ would remonstrate pretty physically.

and yes, I think 99% of violence could and should be avoided.

but there do come times when you should belt someone.

* I used to be a primary school teacher and I once took this poor big kid who was being bullied mercilessly by a little prick of a kid ,aside and said 'jimmy, next time billy gets in your face, smash him in the nose with a clenched fist and lie through your teeth about what happened'. Jimmys dad came in to thank me (very rare occurrence in a teachers life). Jimmy grew into a brave and resilient man. I went into cattle :cool:

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

But there is nothing to suggest that either player resorted to violence. '

Drunk bloke gropes girlfriend, you stand in the way and tell him to back off. Guy feels like a champion, punches Rioli, Bolton comes in to protect Rioli and is pushed to the ground. Thats what we know so far, nowhere to suggest that either Dan or Shai engaged in violence, but were actually the receivers of said violence.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Why is the afl getting involved now ?.We handled it perfectly they a clowns.

Reactions: 1 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Heard a rumour that after a few too many $hai wanted to re-enact his mark of the year from earlier in the day..

Rioli was made to be that lackey Blicsavs..
As Shai climbed up Dan's back to stand on his head, he accidentally karate kicked Dan's eye with his boot..tripped & landed on the hard tiles..
Unfortunately this resulted in him breaking his wrist.

They decided the other story was less embarrassing.:))

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I have to say that I found Benny Gale's interview a disappointment. He kept saying he does not condone violence, well, there is no evidence that Dan or Shai were violent. From what I can gather Dan told a guy to stop harassing his GF and got thumped for speaking up. No idea what Shai did.

But there is no evidence that either Dan or Shai were violent, I think Benny should have been more forthright in defence of the players.

DS

Reactions: 1 users

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
I have to say that I found Benny Gale's interview a disappointment. He kept saying he does not condone violence, well, there is no evidence that Dan or Shai were violent. From what I can gather Dan told a guy to stop harassing his GF and got thumped for speaking up. No idea what Shai did.

But there is no evidence that either Dan or Shai were violent, I think Benny should have been more forthright in defence of the players.

DS
I think that Benny would have said they were not violent if indeed they werent.
Where are you obtaining your evidence David?

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
My evidence is just what has been in the media. What has been reported is that Dan Rioli verbally told the guy not to harass his GF and we don't know how Shai hurt his wrist. If they are unwilling to go into more detail then don't imply they were violent as there is no evidence I've seen to say either Dan or Shai were violent.

DS

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
It was like kebabgate. Drunk bloke comes over and starts hitting CCJ. Stack chimes in like a good mate. Wrong place wrong time but in this case our boys weren't doing anything wrong ala breaching the bubble. Drunk instigator never gets talked about. Press bloody assault charges I reckon.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Interesting to read in yesterday's Hun that some of the Geelong bros such as Esava and Quinton Narkle were at the party for Shai's girlfriend's birthday where all the trouble occurred. And, of course, Mabior Chol too. Get the feeling Two-phones wouldn't miss out on any celebrations going on!

Might be why Paddywhack came out in support of AFL players, criticising the 'dickheads' who look for an opportunity to antagonise players just to get pics to put on social media. Speaking as AFLPA Prez, but good to see anyway.

However, his public comment in support may well have been bolstered by what his team-mates said had occurred. That would bear out posters on here saying our guys did not engage in any violence but reacted to a '*smile*' groper.