GAME DAY – R14 Tiges v Blues | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

GAME DAY – R14 Tiges v Blues

Mr T.

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 11, 2007
Melbourne
Another Thursday game, attendance numbers aside, this is a final of sorts... we win we stay in touch, lose we play catch up.

I keep telling myself that we've won without Dusty before... but with all players up, no passengers, to be able to grind out the 4pt points.

Reactions: 5 users
Richmond, only 1 player not available for selection, Carlton about 10 consisting of half their backline not to mention Cerra.
There can only be one result surely.

Reactions: 7 users
Richmond, only 1 player not available for selection, Carlton about 10 consisting of half their backline not to mention Cerra.
There can only be one result surely.
Doesn’t necessarily work like that though Caesar. Plenty of times the injury riddled team or the team that’s played 3 games in 12 days beats the side that only 2 games wins despite expectation.

Massive game in the context of the season. Still think our midfield is vunerable against theirs.

We need to make them play slow. Carlton have moved to a more faster ball movement game plan. This is to get full advantage of having Mckay and Curnow.

Doesn’t necessarily work like that though Caesar. Plenty of times the injury riddled team or the team that’s played 3 games in 12 days beats the side that only 2 games wins despite expectation.
Blue's supporters would be unbearable if they win, would go equal top, beating us at full strength and prove to themselves that their list runs deep,
WE CAN'T LET THAT HAPPEN

Reactions: 12 users
Massive game in the context of the season. Still think our midfield is vunerable against theirs.

We need to make them play slow. Carlton have moved to a more faster ball movement game plan. This is to get full advantage of having Mckay and Curnow.
It's not March it's the middle of winter. It hasn't stopped raining since Monday.
Can't see McKay taking marks, therefore he won't have an influence. (98% of his goals come from marks)
Curnow isn't going to be on a dud tonight either Grimes or Broad await. I didn't even realise he played in round 1.
With there VAFL/ SANFL defence we should be able to out score them.
I will be very angry if we build a good lead only for them to over run us.
I will want sackings

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Danger game alright. Without Dusty not sure we have enough class. But they have outs too.

Someone has to curb Hewett and Walsh.

Reactions: 1 user
Real inflection point. Must win and should win, given the respective injury lists.

Our most meaningful game v Carlton since finals 2013!
Sure is Pops and I still haven’t got over that!

Three times we played them that year and the script was the same in all three.

Good lead, run down!!!

Fast forward to 2022 first game is was frightening eerie the same.

Big lead. Run down. Lost …

Last edited:
Sure is Pops and I still haven’t got over that!

Three times we played them that year and the script was the same in all three.

Good look , run down!!!

Fast forward to 2022 first game is was frightening eerie the same.

Big lead. Run down. Lost …
I get worried when we are 20 points up in all games now. We just cant find those extra 2-3 goals to put them away (Carlton - Crows - St Kilda - Port - Pies - Hawks), good leads and and some of these resulted in losses

Reactions: 1 users
I have reservations about tonight.

They have what more than about 9 quality players out and we have 1.

THEIR midfield is still so so strong minus Cerra. Ours is ageing with a heavy reliance on Cotch & Prestia.

Theirs is relatively young and their captain is Bull notching up his 150. The last three times we have played I think he has been if not close to BOG and has kicked 3 goals.

Doherty and Saad need some work put into them as they generate a lot of run from their back half and their transition to the forward line without the opposition would have to be up there with the best.

They have Big Mac and Curnow down there plus their 3-4 small forwards who could cause us headaches if we refuse to pressure transition from their backline and through their midfield then it doesn’t matter who is on them, no backline can stop it.

Nankervis with relief from I guess 5 mins of Balta are going to have to put enough pressure when the ball hits the ground and not allow easy ball out of the centre by reading our taps. That’s why I would start Pickett in there with Cotch & Prestia. Rotate as often as we can with Shai, Edwards ( has to lift) , Graham, Lambert ( short stint but as an overlap player as he is so smart), Short changing with Pickett on the wing) Baker Boy and just pressure them.

We have to switched on from the start.
There will possibly be a chance of persistent rain throughout the game so keep the game flowing and simple. We are not as skilled as others but don’t just bombed it constantly to Lynch or Jack.

I would play Lynch further up the ground as Jack roaming not stationary and maybe Shai at FF. Something different and unexpected..

Whoever Durdin plays on we have to put the pressure on him by playing maybe Jack and have Jack moving all the time. Try and go through where possible. Put him under extreme pressure.

For me my sub would be a small to medium type player.

Toss up between Ross for more midfield cover or MRJ for more forward half pressure.

Huge game for some of our kids like Gibsus ( who has been down a bit but can be switched forward for impact ) , Ralphsmith, Clarke as this will be as close as it gets too if not a FINAL.

Will be close and tight game.

Carlton are the real deal under Vossy this year.

Whether or not the Tigers can recapture that form of 17-20 which made them so good we will find out.

I’m not confident and I’m hoping PRE will lift my hopes & spirits up before the bounce of the game.

Biggest game so far of the year for both clubs. The importance of this game is what I posted yesterday. An 8 point game.

Season defining for both clubs.

If I see first contest from Cotchin body on the line stuff resulting on a goal I know we are switched on…

If I see poor manning up, easy transition a lack of pressure and getting murdered in the midfield, well ….

AND we have to stop giving up EASY goals and it the Blues get a run on or momentum changes DO something about it!

I can’t tip a winner. I think I’m a JINX when I go or watch the game…

Just Go Tigers.

Last edited:
Such a huge game.

If we win, I think we can win the premiership. If we lose I don't think we can.

Doesn't get any bigger.
Yeh, that's how I feel.

I'm happy with Lynch & Lambert in, the challenge will be negating their midfield. Cripps has dominated us every time.

For me the midfield is the key tonight.
They are strong there and we are a bit weak.
Reliance on Prestia and Cotchin against their captain who is burning up the ground.
Plus Dow who is no slouch and Hewett also is pretty good.
Win the midfield though and we have a chance.
Have to curtail Curnow and McKay too.
Then again they have to stop Lynch JR and possibly Bolton from scoring.
All in all a conundrum for tonight.
Can't pick the winner but hope for the best.