Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane - QF 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane - QF 2020

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Just on Chol TBR I’m sure his role would have been to try and get Andrews wide of Jack and give Jack some one on one opportunities. I haven’t watched the replay and I’ll stand corrected if I’m wrong which will be told at selection this week I’d imagine, however I thought Chol competed poorly a couple of times ,ball to ground was the minimum and he simply got out marked, in saying that I thought he simply didn’t attack hard enough to smart dangerous sports on the lead , again I think that’s the issue with Chol, plays with little intensity and lacks work rate.
Hit the nail on the head corn chips. Accurate and concise.

Reactions: 2 users

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
Agree with most of that TBR. Our forward efficiency has been terrible in many matches this year and it cost us badly last night. I don’t like the lack of discipline we are displaying either.

Disagree on Chol. IMO he has shown he doesn’t have the intensity required to play consistently at AFL level. He was poor last night and Andrews did whatever he wanted. Chol just doesn’t compete hard enough. He was also poor against the Crows and in the previous game he played which is why he was dropped.

He has AFL traits but doesn’t play with AFL intensity.
Yep. Good accurate summary by TBR apart from Chol.

Reactions: 1 user

achillesjones

"just kick it to Royce"
Apr 19, 2004
Nearly put my foot through the Kreisler in the first quarter when he dropped an absolute sitter 20 metres out directly in front. I couldn't help thinking Caddy would have gobbled it up. I also wanted Caddy 's mongrel a few times as well. If we play Cholly again next week, not sure that I can watch...

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
There's an enormous amount of complete garbage being written in this thread I'm afraid, and this is a snapshot of some of it.

Firstly, the scoreboard didn't flatter us by any definition. Lost by 15 points and gave away two goals by acting like dickheads.

We also went at 29% forward efficiency. As a comparison, the day we played Sydney we went at 30%. The last time we played Brisbane we had 5 less inside 50s and scored 82 points, at 48% efficiency. Brisbane's figures were essentially the same when you balance the goal kicking accuracy.

As for the guys you allege were a mistake playing, let's have a look at that. There is no comparison to 2018 because taking players in with injury/health concerns is completely different to playing healthy players who haven't had the game time.

Then the specifc, Astbury was more than serviceable neutralising contests, Prestia was clearly in our best few players. If you think he was a liability I'm suggesting you watch the game again. Especially when you suggest Nankervis should have gone forward to help Riewoldt but it seemed to me he spent plenty of time forward and was hardly on the bench. Nankervis did what he does every week, busted his arse against the odds and Houli and Edwards were a bit down but hardly awful.

And out of the guys you have named who would you have played instead? Broad for Astbury is hardly like for like, Garthwaite? Do you think Ross would have had the 20 touches Prestia got and been in our best? And who the hell plays instead of Nankervis? Eggmolesse-Smith for Houli? Higgins for Edwards? I can't see how anyone would suggest any of those moves makes us a better side.

As for Chol, he is copping a hiding but I wonder how many people have considered the role he was asked to play? I'll wager plenty that the coaches asked him to concentrate on negating Andrew's ability to intercept mark and to even contests and I thought he did ok at. There was a moment in the second quarter when he was one on one and could have led but you can see him wanting to stay with Andrews as well and do his job, so he gets stuck in nowhere.
There was another moment in the last quarter where he was beaten and you could see he was emotional. It was a shame he didn't clunk the early mark and kick a goal to give him a boost, he's a young bloke finding his way on the best defender in the competition. He certainly showed a heck of a lot more heart and go than lots of the so-called supporters laying the boots into him.
Bang! Great post.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I would still like to see Chol play when both Jack and Lynch are in the team.

That’s when he has been at his most damaging.

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The loss we had to have?

No better way of regaining lost hunger than getting beat in a Qualifying Final.

We are street fighters now. Just the way we like it.

Reactions: 5 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
I would still like to see Chol play when both Jack and Lynch are in the team.

That’s when he has been at his most damaging.
What would be the purpose of his role? He clearly cannot ruck as he is afraid of physical contact. He is useless as a fwd as he cannot take a mark or even provide a contest most times. Yes he showed some half decent form earlier in the year and not sure what has happened to him since but his body language and demeanour have been terrible these last 2 weeks. Almost going at it with scratch match urgency and effort. I could handle him squibbing a few ruck contests here and there if he applied maximum effort and urgency to his overall game. He has been a complete passenger and now with his confidence completely shot he is only going to get worse. I'd be giving Miller a gig ahead of Chol atm.
He's done and dusted and to be honest not sure he has it in him to be an AFL player.

Next week is crucial and we need blokes that are willing to give everything and not just cruise through the game.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
The loss we had to have?

No better way of regaining lost hunger than getting beat in a Qualifying Final.

We are street fighters now. Just the way we like it.
You can sense we will go back to how we like it. Rocky 3 like.

No doubt Hardwick will be using this as his narrative.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
What would be the purpose of his role? He clearly cannot ruck as he is afraid of physical contact. He is useless as a fwd as he cannot take a mark or even provide a contest most times. Yes he showed some half decent form earlier in the year and not sure what has happened to him since but his body language and demeanour have been terrible these last 2 weeks. Almost going at it with scratch match urgency and effort. I could handle him squibbing a few ruck contests here and there if he applied maximum effort and urgency to his overall game. He has been a complete passenger and now with his confidence completely shot he is only going to get worse. I'd be giving Miller a gig ahead of Chol atm.
He's done and dusted and to be honest not sure he has it in him to be an AFL player.

Next week is crucial and we need blokes that are willing to give everything and not just cruise through the game.
Without having to type out an essay, just go back to the games this year where we were all praising his efforts. They were all when he was the third tall forward and the back up to Soldo.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Just on Chol TBR I’m sure his role would have been to try and get Andrews wide of Jack and give Jack some one on one opportunities. I haven’t watched the replay and I’ll stand corrected if I’m wrong which will be told at selection this week I’d imagine, however I thought Chol competed poorly a couple of times ,ball to ground was the minimum and he simply got out marked, in saying that I thought he simply didn’t attack hard enough to smart dangerous sports on the lead , again I think that’s the issue with Chol, plays with little intensity and lacks work rate.
Yes, if Chol was asked to play a role he's not used to, negating Andrews influence, then that explains why he looked indecicive. If true, it is a poor decision by the coaches who should have just let him play an attacking game like Lynch would have done, who he replaced. Chol was tried as a defender at VFL level and found wanting so big mistake if they expected him to do that role as a forward.
Jack just couldn't hold his marks last night, not on his chest or his hands so that's a real concern with the Gabba as main finals venue. If he'd held them he would have possibly scored a few goals and we win.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
You can sense we will go back to how we like it. Rocky 3 like.

No doubt Hardwick will be using this as his narrative.

Ha ha, exactly the movie I was thinking of Aces

Eye of the Tiger will get a good run over the next few weeks

Reactions: 1 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
There's an enormous amount of complete garbage being written in this thread I'm afraid, and this is a snapshot of some of it.

Firstly, the scoreboard didn't flatter us by any definition. Lost by 15 points and gave away two goals by acting like dickheads.

We also went at 29% forward efficiency. As a comparison, the day we played Sydney we went at 30%. The last time we played Brisbane we had 5 less inside 50s and scored 82 points, at 48% efficiency. Brisbane's figures were essentially the same when you balance the goal kicking accuracy.

As for the guys you allege were a mistake playing, let's have a look at that. There is no comparison to 2018 because taking players in with injury/health concerns is completely different to playing healthy players who haven't had the game time.

Then the specifc, Astbury was more than serviceable neutralising contests, Prestia was clearly in our best few players. If you think he was a liability I'm suggesting you watch the game again. Especially when you suggest Nankervis should have gone forward to help Riewoldt but it seemed to me he spent plenty of time forward and was hardly on the bench. Nankervis did what he does every week, busted his arse against the odds and Houli and Edwards were a bit down but hardly awful.

And out of the guys you have named who would you have played instead? Broad for Astbury is hardly like for like, Garthwaite? Do you think Ross would have had the 20 touches Prestia got and been in our best? And who the hell plays instead of Nankervis? Eggmolesse-Smith for Houli? Higgins for Edwards? I can't see how anyone would suggest any of those moves makes us a better side.

As for Chol, he is copping a hiding but I wonder how many people have considered the role he was asked to play? I'll wager plenty that the coaches asked him to concentrate on negating Andrew's ability to intercept mark and to even contests and I thought he did ok at. There was a moment in the second quarter when he was one on one and could have led but you can see him wanting to stay with Andrews as well and do his job, so he gets stuck in nowhere.
There was another moment in the last quarter where he was beaten and you could see he was emotional. It was a shame he didn't clunk the early mark and kick a goal to give him a boost, he's a young bloke finding his way on the best defender in the competition. He certainly showed a heck of a lot more heart and go than lots of the so-called supporters laying the boots into him.

Agree with all but Chol. I agree on the role Chol played but he did it poorly. Andrews was probably in the top 3 most influential players on the ground. 12 1% and 9 intercepts show that Chol did not stop what Andrews does. Andrews averages have been 10 1% and 7 intercepts this year so if his role was to negate him and reduce that impact, his impact was better than his average so I'd say he didn't do a good job of negating Andrews at all.

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004

Have to sadly agree.
Some of the comments have been over the top and uncalled for.
Hope some poster reread some of their crap on here and hang their heads in shame!

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Anyone on here think Hardwick should be forced to stand down?
I certainly do. Hope they frog march him out. Leppa to take over.

• Wow

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010

Andrews had a field day not sure what your on about punching everything and mopping up so even in that role Chol wasn't even close to it.Sorry there is no urgency in his game and intensity if people can't see that we're watching a different player.To many exuses did the same against crows.

From the last 10 minutes of the second qtr we switched off and the scoreboard did flatter us it was all lions besides our mini comeback last qtr.Second to the ball drop of intensity so many mistakes.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I find it hard to believe we had no intercept marks inside D50. Astbury alone had 7 marks and I'd be very surprised if none were D50 intercept marks.

I personally think the main difference was we just couldn't convert our opportunities. We won inside 50s. I think Lynch would have made the difference. Frees up Reiwoldt, makes us less predictable. Sobering to read that Lynch himself was surprised to not being selected after feeling 100% in his track work. We may have made a tactical blunder.

In the end credit to Brisbane, they kept the ball moving, keeping us unsettled. Still more went their way than our way and I was impressed the way we kept fighting til the end. Eventually Brisbane were going to get one back, they are a good side now, you don't finish top 2 not being so. We need to regroup and focus on next week.

I know it seems a strange stat, but watching the 3rd quarter now (didn't catch the 1st half again) and we haven't taken an intercept mark all quarter (5 mins left), let alone 1 in D50. We struggled to mark the ball inside either 50 which is very strange for us. Thats a hallmark of our play, intercept mark, then handball up the ground but couldn't get that going at all last night.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Just saw the "push in the back" by Rioli that 7 never showed the replay for again, it was probably just in the side, but there was actually no force in it. The Lions defender threw himself forward, as much a flop as any of the few that Grimes has been crucified for, but literally nothing said about it.