Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane - QF 2020 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Game Day - Richmond vs Brisbane - QF 2020

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Seen the non HTB against Charlie, the drag under and then the blatant throw by Zorko again, could have paid HTB 3 times there, but nothing.

Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I didn't say Chol killed him, I said I thought Chol did an ok job. Andrews had his pretty typical good game, but without Lynch there was the opportunity for him to dominate and he didn't do that.

Chol's played 20 odd games of AFL footy. He is still in nappies and was playing on the best defender in the competition. Of course he is going to struggle at times and lose plenty of contests but he had a crack at a tough job and did ok.

You don't think Andrews dominated? He controlled the air in their defensive 50. I'd have him in the top 3 most influential players on the ground.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
You don't think Andrews dominated? He controlled the air in their defensive 50. I'd have him in the top 3 most influential players on the ground.

Not dominated I thought but did his job to perfection. He was able to get across and double-team Reiwoldt at will. Had 7 marks, his 2nd most for the season. 12 x 1%ers most since round 5, 9 intercepts, even 3 score involvements which he rarely gets.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Having rewatched, I'm confident we can beat them if we face off against them again in the GF.

Our defence was about as unorganised as we've seen them, couldn't take intercept marks from their F50 entries, we just couldn't get that 2nd man up. Wondering if those who are suggesting maybe Astbury coming back as imbalanced the backline could be right. Broad has always done very well on Hipwood in the past despite giving up a fair height difference.

Our ball use was not great. Nank showed in the last all we needed Chol to do during the game when Jack marked 20m out. Lynch would make a massive difference to the efficiency of our F50 entries and would bring the smalls into it a lot more.

I'm actually still confident we can go all the way, sure losing last night makes it harder but we have the ability to win the next 3 games and win the premiership.

Reactions: 2 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Not dominated I thought but did his job to perfection. He was able to get across and double-team Reiwoldt at will. Had 7 marks, his 2nd most for the season. 12 x 1%ers most since round 5, 9 intercepts, even 3 score involvements which he rarely gets.

I'd call that dominant personally. You won't find many better defensive performances than that, those stats you showed I doubt have been replicated many times this season.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Cause or effect? How many balls got spilled into situations they can create chances from?

Not many. Any high balls forward were either marked by the opposition or Andrews punched to the boundary.

A simple swap of Tom for the paltry Mabs is all that's needed to keep the 3 smalls up front that is needed. Now is not thew time to throw out a formula that has worked for 4 years because of a pathetic aerial tall performance.
Leysy is correct. Dimma mentioned this in his presser. No real crumbing opportunity for the small fwds

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
I think we will win next week but not sure we can beat Port over there with them having the week off
Have a listen to the latest footyology podcast where Rohan conoly makes a good case for the two week break being a disadvantage to the top four teams. The results back it up. I hated losing like that but it’s still ours to win if we want it badly enough.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Agree with most of that TBR. Our forward efficiency has been terrible in many matches this year and it cost us badly last night. I don’t like the lack of discipline we are displaying either.

Disagree on Chol. IMO he has shown he doesn’t have the intensity required to play consistently at AFL level. He was poor last night and Andrews did whatever he wanted. Chol just doesn’t compete hard enough. He was also poor against the Crows and in the previous game he played which is why he was dropped.

He has AFL traits but doesn’t play with AFL intensity.

There was one piece of play in the last quarter that typified exactly what you say about Chol. He must have just been told to ruck and Brisbane had the ball, Chol found himself in the last line of defence. A long high ball came down and a Tiger and Brisbane player were grappling and all Chol had to do was jump over the top from behind and punch the ball as far as he could. He didn't quite get to the contest and his flailing arms got nowhere near the ball. Brisbane crumbed the loose ball and goaled. If Chol is to make it he's just not ready yet and shouldn't have played.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Have a listen to the latest footyology podcast where Rohan conoly makes a good case for the two week break being a disadvantage to the top four teams. The results back it up. I hated losing like that but it’s still ours to win if we want it badly enough.
People raise this issue a lot but it didn’t hurt us in 2017 or 2019. Didn’t hurt WCE in 2018 either. The last 3 flags have been won by QF winners who then had another 2 week break into a PF.

Hopefully we can buck the trend but we’ve got a bit of work to do out of last night. Disappointing performance.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I'd call that dominant personally. You won't find many better defensive performances than that, those stats you showed I doubt have been replicated many times this season.

Yes now that you mentioned it you're right. He's had maybe 3 or 4 games to that level himself this year. 12 1%ers plus 9 intercepts amounts to a lot of repelling from 1 player. The closest Tigers stats-wise this year for a lock-down type player would be

Grimes Round 7 vs Kangaroos 9 marks, 9 x 1%ers , 6 intercepts, 5 score involvements
Balta Round 14 vs Eagles 9 marks, 6 x 1%ers, 11 intercepts, 3 score involvements

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
People raise this issue a lot but it didn’t hurt us in 2017 or 2019. Didn’t hurt WCE in 2018 either. The last 3 flags have been won by QF winners who then had another 2 week break into a PF.

Hopefully we can buck the trend but we’ve got a bit of work to do out of last night. Disappointing performance.

Yep I think the break in latest years helps. Extra week for recovery for sore players or ones with niggles. If Nanks is forced to play another 2 x 90% gametime games before a grand final I shudder to think how he will be faring by then. I am really concerned about Nanks and over-working him as he's had his fair share of injuries as a result of that work ethic. I think we need to consider knock-on-wood, if Nanks were to go down who would be our primary ruckman and put time into that person as ruck backup. For me that person is Balta.

Reactions: 1 users

Tiger Rob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 30, 2009
Hobart
Been in a filthy mood all day and have avoided looking at anything to do with the game. Given me a chance to do some reflecting subconsciously. I think it might have been the game we had to have. What ever could go wrong pretty much did. I think we got all the bad karma over in one game. Everything will go perfectly from here to The final siren on GF day.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
It was certainly noticeable how far Brisbane were punching the ball away from our forward entries

Reactions: 5 users

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
It's so obvious where chols career is going,ala majak daw,will play well every 3 to 4 weeks but go missing 2 out of 3 games, I would of had cj in when we could of,lynch makes a massive difference and playing a extra game is not that bad.

glenn downing

Tiger Cub
Jun 2, 2014
Like many others, I am extremely disappointed about our team losing. It was a winnable game and our team blew it. Stats wise, on the face of it, some stats showed that our team actually played quite well;
- we won the centre clearances 14-7
- we matched them in overall clearances 37-38
- we won the contested possessions 132-121
- we won the uncontested possessions 161-146
- we won the inside 50's 49-45
- we won the tackles inside 50 by 13-5
- our defence kept three of the Brisbane forwards goal-less, being Hipwood, McCarthy and Coleman and kept another two of their forwards to just one goal each, being Rayner and McStay. Only one of their forwards, Cameron, got off the leash somewhat with 3 goals

However, some stats can be misleading and unfortunately our team stuffed up in several other ways considering;
- we were soundly beaten in efficiency inside 50 by 28.6% to 46.7%
- our kick/handball ratio was not great, being 161/128 (compared to them with 178/86). Too many handballs compared to kicks imo
- we lost the turnovers 62-57
- we had way too many critical errors of 59 compared to just 35. The worst offenders were Martin with 7, Nankervis with 7, Pickett with 7, Cotchin with 6 and Bolton with 5
- it was poor defence and concentration by our team to allow Rich to get the handball receive to kick that long goal in the first minute of the game
- it was poor "mindfulness" and discipline by Bolton and Pickett (and some others) to give away those two 50 metre penalties in the last minute of the second quarter, thereby giving the opposition a mental boost
- Grimes had zero possessions after half time. No kicks, no marks, no handballs. He didn't seem to be his normal composed self
- Houli had zero possessions in the last quarter, just when we desperately needed his run and carry and disposal
- Baker had only one possession in the third quarter and zero possessions in the last quarter. Just don't know what happened to him. I thought that we really missed his normal very good composure, skills, decision making and creativity in the second half
- Martin kicked 6 goals in the corresponding game last year but zero goals this year and did nothing special in the second half of this game, just when we desperately needed him to do something special. He had only one shot for goal, which he shanked out on the full when he could have handballed over to Castagna who was free and clear and could have had an unpressured shot for goal

Reactions: 12 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Like many others, I am extremely disappointed about our team losing. It was a winnable game and our team blew it. Stats wise, on the face of it, some stats showed that our team actually played quite well;
- we won the centre clearances 14-7
- we matched them in overall clearances 37-38
- we won the contested possessions 132-121
- we won the uncontested possessions 161-146
- we won the inside 50's 49-45
- we won the tackles inside 50 by 13-5
- our defence kept three of the Brisbane forwards goal-less, being Hipwood, McCarthy and Coleman and kept another two of their forwards to just one goal each, being Rayner and McStay. Only one of their forwards, Cameron, got off the leash somewhat with 3 goals

However, some stats can be misleading and unfortunately our team stuffed up in several other ways considering;
- we were soundly beaten in efficiency inside 50 by 28.6% to 46.7%
- our kick/handball ratio was not great, being 161/128 (compared to them with 178/86). Too many handballs compared to kicks imo
- we lost the turnovers 62-57
- we had way too many critical errors of 59 compared to just 35. The worst offenders were Martin with 7, Nankervis with 7, Pickett with 7, Cotchin with 6 and Bolton with 5
- it was poor defence and concentration by our team to allow Rich to get the handball receive to kick that long goal in the first minute of the game
- it was poor "mindfulness" and discipline by Bolton and Pickett (and some others) to give away those two 50 metre penalties in the last minute of the second quarter, thereby giving the opposition a mental boost
- Grimes had zero possessions after half time. No kicks, no marks, no handballs. He didn't seem to be his normal composed self
- Houli had zero possessions in the last quarter, just when we desperately needed his run and carry and disposal
- Baker had only one possession in the third quarter and zero possessions in the last quarter. Just don't know what happened to him. I thought that we really missed his normal very good composure, skills, decision making and creativity in the second half
- Martin kicked 6 goals in the corresponding game last year but zero goals this year and did nothing special in the second half of this game, just when we desperately needed him to do something special. He had only one shot for goal, which he shanked out on the full when he could have handballed over to Castagna who was free and clear and could have had an unpressured shot for goal
Is that you a Fagan?
We lost it on the scoreboard
End of story

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Lynch was only a 98% ready. We pulled the trigger Monday. Why ?
reeks of arrogance from the coaching staff to call it so early

Agree. I said that on Monday.
Why did they decide so quickly to not play him?
At worse they could've done a late change.
Brisbane got 4 day advantage to prepare to play us without lynch.